1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays The VR thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 10 Apr 2013.

1. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

3. Parge

Check out Oculus' talent list now. Its incredible. Its the creme de la creme of the industry. It cannot fail to be awesome.

4. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

The man who told everyone not to buy one as it would stifle it's development and take a unit away from a potential developer buys one as "he wanted it so bad". hahahahahahhahahahhaha.

5. Parge

I know I know! I'm so hypocritical I should be a politician. I figure all the legit devs will have ordered one by now though. I think I'm getting the second batch as the first are due for delivery in July, but mine is projected to be August.

6. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

It was a massive joke but it did make me laugh :D Looking forward to how you get on with it. If I wasn't in the midst of moving into a new place and furnishing it, I would definitely be stumping up for one.

7. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

hope they never all get on the same air plane together.

every person in that list needs to take their own independent time staggered transportation route to any group events etc, a loss of any (one obviously) two of them due to transportation logistics is not acceptable to the vr cause.

Lets hope some one in Oculus is smart enough to not put 15 of the worlds top VR dev team on the same coach section of an over worked economy Boeing air craft or what ever.

8. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

9. Parge

10. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Surely the list of names behind the Rift should be impressive enough to convince just about anyone now that this is going to be a real game changer.

I haven't been this hyped for anything game-related since Age of Empires 3, and I can only hope I'm not making the same mistake again...

11. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Pliqu3011 have you tried one on? Dk1?

Edit: Kind of cool if you haven't, would be cool thou to try one before you try Dk2 so you can compare, also just experiencing dk1 is a must.

12. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

not sure I wound have the courage for this game in the rift dk2

[​IMG]

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/06/10/oculus-rift-and-alien-isolation-i-see-you/

Alien: Isolation is running in prototype form on Oculus Rift at E3. Two things about that: 1.The full game isn't coming to Oculus Rift for sure just yet.
    2.It's terrifying.
    Creative Lead Al Hope first saw the Oculus Rift's horror potential after a demo at GDC in 2013, he told Joystiq. Creative Assembly decided to give it a try and built the demo now stalking the booths of E3 2014.

"To be clear, what we announced last night is that we're showing a prototype of Alien: Isolation on Oculus Rift," Hope said. He made it clear that a demo didn't equate a full game, at least not for now.

This is a blessing and a curse, because Alien: Isolation on Oculus Rift is great, and also greatly horrifying. We sat down with it on Oculus Rift dev kit 2.0, and those few dark minutes were easily 10,000 times scarier than the standard controller-and-screen version.

The demo is short and tense, set in a series of dark passageways on a busted ship – metallic grates, florescent and orange lighting, a line of lockers and steam pouring from a few open valves. Press a button and your hand holding a radar gun juts out from the bottom-left of your vision field, and it feels like an extension of your own body, even though your real hand is clutching a controller.

You know the alien is near when a dot appears on the radar gun. This contributes to a consuming desire to keep the locator up at all times, constantly clenching down on the controller and flicking your eyes back and forth from the setting to the flickering green screen.

With Oculus Rift, your vision moves as you move your head. This makes one of the analog sticks largely redundant, though breaking the habit imbued in us from years of dual-stick, first-person shooters takes a second to get used to. It quickly feels natural to turn your head rather than the stick.

And then you see the dot. Terror takes over immediately, even before the alien actually appears on-screen. The dot is fast, and soon after you see it, the alien sees you – and that basically means you're dead.

The second I saw that black, beetle-like head turn the corner, I screamed and threw my hands over my face. I forgot I was in a game world for a fraction of a second, and by the time I remembered to use the controller, it was a lost cause. I just closed my eyes. When I opened them again, I was dead in front of a pair of skeletal alien feet.

Again, maybe it's a good thing Alien: Isolation isn't confirmed for Oculus Rift – but it could be a great thing to play in virtual reality.

13. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

dk2 IS SHIPPING in July confirmed yesterday @ 3:15mark below..

forum posts@ oculasvr.com

"At the OCVR Unity meetup on Saturday, an Oculus employee told me that they would ship mid-July, around the 15th or 16th".

Last edited: 11 Jun 2014
  14. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

15. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

about half a mm away from ordering one of these.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/controlvr/control-vr-motion-capture-for-vr-animation-and-mor

seeds of a whole new industry

edit:
    http://www.stuff.tv/oculus/oculus-founder-tells-stuff-were-going-sell-rift-cost-price/news

Still shaking from the pant-ruining terror of playing Alien Isolation on the Oculus Rift, we sat down with Oculus founder, Palmer Luckey, to discuss what's next for the field-leading VR company. And while Luckey remained tight-lipped on a release date for Oculus as a finished consumer gadget, he did reveal that Oculus doesn't plan to make any money from selling it.

"Whatever it costs us to make, that is what we’re going to sell it for"

"The next six months is going to be crazy," says Oculus's 21-year-old founder. "We’ve got a lot of stuff going on." Read what you like into that, speculation fans, but Luckey and his team are definitely working flat-out to create the consumer version of their already revolutionary virtual reality headset. "The first consumer version will be a lot better than DK2 [the current developer kit] - a lot better. There’s a lot of unannounced things we can’t talk about, but it’s going to be a lot smaller, a lot lighter, cheaper, wider field of view, higher resolution and higher framerate. DK2 wasn’t designed to be the thinnest or lightest thing we could make, or the cheapest for that matter: it was meant to be something we could get out quickly, that did all the functions we needed it to, very reliably. But it is a developer tool. We reused a lot of the same parts for DK2 that we used for DK2, because that allowed us to move a lot faster. But for the consumer version we’re making every piece from the ground up. There isn’t a single piece from DK1 or DK2 that will go into it, so we’re able to design it from the beginning to be a perfectly integrated, minimal piece of hardware."

This sounds expensive - we must be looking at a rather low margin on this thing. "We’re going to be selling it at cost," Luckey tells us. "Whatever it costs us to make, that is what we’re going to sell it for. That’s one of the things the Facebook deal has allowed us to do: because we already have these resources behind us, we don’t have to worry about making money from our customers right away. If we were running purely on our own and trying to make money just from hardware, we would need to make enough profit from each unit to pay for running the company for several years, until we launched the next one."

[And that, folks, is why you only get a new console once every 5-7 years.]

"With Facebook, now we have that financial backing, we have the confidence that we’re going to be around for a long time and we can afford to make the right decisions to make VR happen in a big way."

Last edited: 11 Jun 2014
  16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Oculus expects to sell “north of a million units” for first consumer Rift
    Interview: Headset maker aims for 2015 consumer release, possibly sold "at cost."

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/06/oculus-expects-to-sell-north-of-a-million-units-for-first-consumer-rift/
    Is he under or over estimating demand ?

17. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Depends what timescale we're talking about - how long will "the life of the first consumer version" be?

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

In the interview Brendan Iribe says the first consumer version is expected to be out for 1-2 years before they make a 2nd version.

19. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

A million units over a couple of years... sounds quite high to me, personally, but that's just imho. I still think this is very much a niche product that will be received extremely enthuiastically by a relatively small group, but I'm not sure that it will cross over into the more mainstream market within a year or two of release. A lot will depend on the final price, of course.

20. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yea the guy in the interview said they are not expecting things to take off until version 2, apparently by then the Eco system will be properly in place.