1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays The VR thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 10 Apr 2013.

1. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Not going to the egx, spent time looking into this issue about ticket availability
    Vs htc vive. Spoke with nec , egx

What they have done is over sold the event with the promise of htc availability but then brought
    An unexpected vive booking service up last friday to sunday.

All tickets sold post htc vive anouncement at point of purchase should have tied in with booking request.

Many hundreds of people or more will be making a wasted jorney and will be left woundering
    How this could have happend.

After speaking with egx /htc they have agreed to provide at least a number of people a walk up chance but due to the huge amount of people only a few will get the walk up chance.

My ticket got refubded and my train tickets only cost 2x£16 via the train line website.

Hope lot of youngsters get the chance via this walk up service promised to me.

Egx definatly been sneaky thou, once the vive got anounced confirmed they have sold a lot of tickets.

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Keep a look-out for the next VRLO. There's a better chance to getting to try a demo with the much smaller number of attendees (though no strict guarantee anyone will be turning up with a Vive or CB).

3. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

hope there are some cool htc vive egx post demo feedback videos, I love watching people go nuts after trying on vr for the first time :)

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Besides the early EGX all others have let too many in, too much queueing, not enough gaming, I don't see a lot of point in attending, so doesn't surprise me that there is ticket issues.

5. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

they haven't managed it properly, there is no arugement about that from any one I have spoke to today about it.

There is not any issue about buying a ticket to attend the egx event, the point is they sold tickets to enable you to go to the show to try on the htc vive, many many people bought a ticket towards that goal, then suddenly they create a website which you may or may not get the time to see and request you to book your slot.

Excuse me, the slot should be arranged at point of purchase of the ticket, htc know this egx know this,

Its a clever tick, as soon as they announced the htc vive is going to be at the show countless thousands of people bought tickets, that's confirmed on the phone today.

Then once every one has their ticket and thinks they are set, then they pull out a sign up process.

Any sign up process should be a part of the post announcement ticket sales.

There is no grey area about it, it is either complete incompetence which I do not believe because HTC has clever people, and EGX also know what they are doing.

The result is that tomorrow there are going to be a heck of a lot of people turning up expecting to try the vive.

put it this way, I bought the ticket, I spend a lot of time looking into VR and I only found out about the vive booking site on Monday..... what chance has any one else got.

really uncool

6. rollo

rollo Modder

Oculus controllers got delayed to q2 2016 according to most reports. Be weird to have to wait so long for the key item.

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

This is really the nub of the issue isn't it. Did you know HTC did the same thing in the States, advertised an event, then it turned out that though everyone could come, only certain people (press basically) could actually try it out.

Am I the only one who couldn't give a monkeys about the controllers? The key item is the headset itself IMHO.

8. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I personally think that controllers are right now minor thing.
    To be honest OR was driven by keyboard+mouse, joysticks or pad for years now.
    It all depends on games content we will be getting from the release.
    Only specific games may require those new controllers.

All we need now is headset consumer version release - if someone wants to try it for first time, or all of us veterans who already tasted it - we all gonna run it even f we must use potatoes and carrots to control it:D

9. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

GearVR has been announced for a November launch.

10. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Look at the date today.

We are only 90 odd days away from Q1 2016

Wounder why its not possible with such a hot ticket item vive "take my money please" why
    They cant just ramp up production and make like 100k of them a month on month, from nov through march ?

Production lines are robotic and having 50 or 100 human hands on a work shop floor is not new 24hours production in shifts would help.

Its going to be awesome on the day our vive or cv1 arrive and we power up into game.

11. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

From "H1 2016" to Q2 2016" is a clarification rather than a delay. It was assumed by most that it would be Q2 anyway (because if it Oculus could nail down the ETA to Q1 they would have said that in the first place) so this simply means that any chance it could have been pushed forward is no longer.

Production for a complex device like this is nowhere NEAR automated.
    Seriously, scaling for production is freaking HARD. Oculus got hit with the DK1 finding that the required number of panels for their initial design didn't even exist. DK2's production run dwarfed DK1's and hit scaling issues (assembly steps that work when you have 10 units an hour going through don't when you need to deal with 100). CV1 and the Vive will ideally be selling kilounit quantities, and ideally have several tens of thousands of units available for launch. That sort of production scale is NOT easy for companies that do not have experience with volume production. It's very difficult to suddenly pull 100k units of ANY commodity component out of your arse (and if you want custom moulded assemblies? HAH!), let alone have them delivered in a graduated quantity on time at the right time to be assembled in place, without ending up with a massive warehouse of parts awaiting assembly or having to sit around with partial assemblies held up by one late arrival.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

HTC have plenty of experience with volume production so that does not really fly.

13. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Whoops, keep forgetting about HTC. We're still waiting on a public reveal of the finalised design of the Vive (rather than the current devkit), though one would hope that has already been completed some weeks ago at this point.

14. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

edzieba compared to the dk2 how much more impressive is the htc vive, was it much more impressive in image clarity, big huge or gigantic improvement?

15. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

16. rollo

rollo Modder

If it was strictly oculus only could agree with production issues but HTC have all that experience likely suggests there is another reason for the delay.

17. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

18. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Elite Dangerous on the Vive!

Key passage:

"Stepping into the HTC Vive was an interesting and useful chance to benchmark progress the display tech found in these headsets has advanced. You may be surprised to learn that Vive’s 1080×1200 per-eye resolution isn’t as big a leap as you might expect, when compared to the DK2’s 960×1080 per eye. It is better, there is more detail, but the game’s orange-on-black hues are very good at finding that screen door effect, or at least the equivalent for Pentile OLED panels such as these. As a result, perceived resolution is probably lower than it would be when displaying virtual worlds with lighter, more naturalistic hues, but those gaps between pixels are still there and still readily noticeable. It’s an incremental and noticeable difference then, but not a game changer.

elite-dangerous-vive-1Field of view on the other hand is incrementally but noticeably improved. That feeling of being wrapped in a starship’s cockpit only occasionally ruined by wayward extreme glances to the periphery of your vision for those telltale black borders, but for the most part this does not intrude at all.

In terms of fluidity, it was a great experience – with low persistence of vision delivering silky smooth head pans and tilts, delivering the feeling of an expansive window on a world rather than a display floating in front of your face. "

19. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

delivering the feeling of an expansive window on a world rather than a display floating in front of your face

Nice.

to get these last few degrees, to create an almost completele visually saturated FOV must be difficult.

Seeing a headset like the star vr with eye tracking + 5k per eye is what we need to be talking about.

That's a long time away, market will edge to really high end headsets once the revenue streams are there and thick producing high revenues and locked platforms with huge subscriber base, then all bets are off they will produce super butter smooth kit to ensure your money is coming their way.

20. rollo

rollo Modder

A gpu to power 5k per eye is a significant time frame away.