1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress The Winamp Casemod - Introducing the Midizamp concept

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by misterkholl, 14 Jul 2010.

1. misterkholl

misterkholl modMode:on

Hi!!

A 'little' introduction of the Midizamp Project:

After I got some experience on Midibox (www.midibox.org), I started a project called Duna.
    During the development, I decided to create a middle-ware which I could use the midibox to control also the Winamp, I called it Midibox to Winamp.

PS: You can see the history here: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=146161

After some months and new features I decided to change the name to Midizamp and created a whole concept.

I had the chance to learn a new programming language called 4DGL when Mr. Atilla Aknar from 4D Systems (www.4dsystems.com.au) kindly sent me one beautiful OLED display module embedded with their graphic controller, the PICASO-GFX, and then, I decided to include the whole display operation to the project.

This is the concept (A picture is worth a thousand words):

[​IMG]
    Click in the image for hi-res picture.

So, basically, you can control DAW software (Cubase, Protools, Logic, etc..), Multimedia Softwares (Winamp, etc...) with a MIDI Controller (I.e. Midibox) as well use the OLED module to show info (not only about the Winamp and DAW but also CPU Info, Temps, Store, etc...and with the plug-in feature, the sky is the limit)

Also, you can show some info in a mono LCD or VFD attached to the Midibox. It's one of the jobs of the Midizamp running inside the PIC.

I would need a real application to use all the features, well, I'm a modder, so, why not create a mod project?, so, the Winamp Case!

The 4D Systems Part (2.8" OLED powered by Picaso module, running MIDIZAMP for 4DGL wrote by Mr. Kholl):

PS: You will see in the main menu some static functions, but in the future I will provide a way to the user choose the functions on the main menu.

Thanks Leo Trajano for the HD camera.
    I created the videos below (with the white background) for the 4D Systems youtube channel...they compiled all here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzvT_imxryM

Winamp control:

In the Winamp case I will use the mode two, which acts like the original winamp main display (no buttons and song info), leaving the operations (play, stop, prev, next, etc...) to the physical buttons.

I created the spectrum from sketch, and the real time operation between the windows part (midizamp getting spectrum data from winamp) and the 4DGL part was very hard.

System Info:

Actually I get the info from Speedfan shared memory, but, maybe in the future I will be able to read the sensors....don't know...still studying it.

Storage Info:

Pure API (performance counter classes), doesn't need any extra software.

Delta Series:

Probably you will call me insane, but, it was (and in some cases still is) my audio interface (M-Audio Delta 1010), so I had to make something for it....it spent months!! really hard programming. The windows part wasn't so hard, the SDK is good, but the display part (pure 4DGL) i created a new framework and graphic widgets from zero (like the VU's and the sliders). The touch operation was hard too. The interop between the windows app and the 4DGL app was a nightmare to finish.

World Clock:

Hehe...that's it...a world clock!! free time? no....just a feature that I thought that would be nice to implement and send to 4D Systems, specially because it includes a slideshow with the cities (and Sidney is one of them). The weather data is realtime from internet (Yahoo RSS).

Windows Part:

Besides the functions previously featured in the Duna project I created two new features involving motorized faders.

I would like to introduce you, the "Midizamp Real Scrollbars" (full automation):

Track position (Seekbar):

Playlist scrollbar:

Ok, it's too much about the Midizamp project, but i had to talk about it, because it's the foundation of the Winamp case.

Finally, the Winamp case:

This is a preview:

[​IMG]

The idea is to try to create the classic view of the Winamp in the real world. Yes, we have lot of tribute mods (specially for games, like Doom, Battlefield, etc...and movies), why not for the sweet Winamp?

Because the dimensions of the real life components, it's very hard to create a perfect copy of the classic view, so, this is my view.

My plan is to create the boxes for the sketch, but unfortunately I don't have an easy access to a bend machine, so I will pay for this service in nice metal shop.

The boxes for the Main module and the EQ module:

[​IMG]

The box for the Playlist module (where will be the PC).

[​IMG]

Well, this is a mod, so it will have a pc inside, i have this guy here...but still choosing:

[​IMG]

But, anyway, I will be able to use the main module, eq and even the playlist module as slave, pluging it in a desktop...or notebook....or even put a nano or pico pc inside the main and eq modules.

All the Midibox circuits are done.

Next steps:

- The boxes
    - Internal supports (for pcbs, display and parts)
    - PC stuff (motherboard tray, dvd tray, ports, fans, etc....)
    - Front covers (maybe in plexi, cut in laser....i don't know yet)
    - Finishing
    - Test...test....test...

Last edited: 14 Jul 2010
  2. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Now that's something different. Definitely keeping an eye on this.

3. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thats an excellent concept man, really hard work there cant wait to see the end results!!!!

4. Blooddrunken

Blooddrunken In Flames we Trust

nice Project. Good Luck

5. Mork

Mork What's a Dremel?

Definetly gonna watch this one! subbed! :)

6. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Very impressive! I can't wait to see this come together.

7. bsoltan

bsoltan What's a Dremel?

What a brilliant idea, and excellent work on the Midibox-Midizamp as well. It will be excellent for it all to come together in this case. I will be subscribing to this one.

Good luck!

8. THP Dan

THP Dan What's a Dremel?

Very interesting, cant wait to see more

9. Jolly-Swagman

Jolly-Swagman "Hands of The Gods"

very interesting project will be watching this one

10. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Wow I havnt been this excited to see a project start since Craig's! those sliders are just PRON!

11. Cuzza

Cuzza What's a Dremel?

damn, i have a hard on for that playlist slider, that is the coolest thing i've seen in aaaaaaaaaaaaaaages bro

12. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

forget the sliders in drooling over the touch screen fan management :D

13. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

this. is. awesome.

14. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

This is ingenious! Sub'd!

15. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

oh please make this project open source, motorized sliders and winamp cheesecake, i wanted to so badly make the winamp controller from Duna, you may remember...

16. devilxc

devilxc Biding my time...

Looks awesome. Sub'd!

17. tomclancey

tomclancey What's a Dremel?

Stunning work so far, very impressive! Definitely looking forward to seeing more work on this one.

18. Mpovh

Mpovh Minimodder

Olha só quem resolveu aparecer... po cara, se sumiu.. Como é que ta a vida, o casamento tudo beleza ??

Ta fazendo falta lá na casemodbr em, ultimamente os projetos por la andam bem pra baixos, apareceu uma galera nova la que meu pai.. tem horas que eu sinto saudade de quando tava começando hahaha sem opçao nenhuma de peças e tdo mundo se enrolando, sofrendo pra conseguir coisa legal e saindo altos cases, hj o povo tem tudo e nao aproveita :blah:

Já começou de forma incrivel, altas cachaças e tdo mais pra fazer esses pjtos de eletronica ai ahauhauh Ta facil arrisca um Mod of the Mounth em :D

Escrevi em portugues mesmo.. nao to com paciencia e o frio ta detonando meus neuronios pra pensar em escrever tudo em ingles ahahah

abraçao cara, e ve se aparece ;)

Last edited: 16 Jul 2010
  19. misterkholl

misterkholl modMode:on

Hi Guys!

Thank you very much for the comments!! really glad to read all!

I just love the OLED display, the camera can't capture the real image of this thing, it's amazing, but I confess that the slider thing is one of my favourite feature.
    I have been thinking for many years in a way to grab the scrollbars out from the virtual to real world. Nothing against to the touch screen, I like it, and it's the touch era (with multi touch devices, pressure sensitive, etc...) but I'm a big fan of the old school tactile stuff. Sometimes I just get bored to slide my fingers on a screen, and just need to feel the real control. Tactile feel is essential for me, specially because I play with pro audio for many years (a have a little recording studio here).

@Mpovh: Hi little lazy friend! just translate it man!! :) BTW...yeah, long time....i will be back to casemodbr, love there. Thanks!

@burnout21: Thanks a lot to keep the interest on it Burnout! I will provide all the binaries of the project soon. Unfortunately, few years ago, a company stole my idea. So today, I no longer provide the sources of my softwares. So the current status of the Midizamp project is freeware. Note that the Midibox is currently open source.

I'm working on the internal supports, I will post a big update this weekend!!

Thanks again!!! :thumb:

Last edited: 16 Jul 2010
  20. Valdisnei

Valdisnei Can i haz a dremelz!?

HEEY MASTER KHOLL!!
    Great to see you're alive! Me and Samamba were talking about you haven't shown up anymore.
    Just AMAZING what you've done with the motorized faders!
    Those OLED displays they look almost like coloured VFDs. You can get a better effect by swaping the resistive touchscreen film to a capacitive, wich has a better transparency.

About the motherboard, those Intel ITX aren't the best at the processor voltage controller, but this application will not push it too much so, still a good choice. Maybe an Atom based should be a second option, requires less power and generate less heat.
    If you're going with the DG45FC, would be nice to see a Hi-Fi sound card running on that PCI-e 1x slot, maybe a low-profile one.. despite of if you're going to use the SPDIF, in this case the onboard card will do the same.

As Povh said, CasemodBR it's a kind of chaotic, they still with the same UV ink, UV lights, Full Towers, etc.. almost zero evolution.. But the friends keep the forum moving...

I'll be watching this project! Ciao!