1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Thinking of upgrading headset/keyboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeStorm, 16 Nov 2011.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Mm, I had a look, and I saw some at elitekeyboards, which were 110usd before shipping etc which is another 20usd over this one pretty much.
    Would you advise I push the budget even further to get it?
    If I don't get hit with customs, the ducky will cost around £73, a leopold would be £100, or I could get a filco for £114.

And on the headset front, I presume I'd need a dedicated soundcard to make it worth getting those headphones?

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

No, I don't think so unless you are really won over by its styling or want one of the 'limited edition' white models it's probably not worth the extra cost. They are very similar in most regards. People like to argue about it all day long, but I honestly see little difference between them in quality. The switches are all the same, they all are plate mounted, have plastic cases, 6kro over usb... it just comes down to the little differences in styling that set them apart. That and features. Filco has the least features and costs the most. Leopold has a detachable cable and lock lights in key instead, Ducky has a detachable cable, in key lock lights, an imbedded numpad, winlock...
    Go with the Ducky... now I want one instead of my Leopold.

Last edited: 5 Dec 2011
  3. GeorgeStorm

Fair enough, made a post over at geekhack just incase they knew of any other models etc that might fit the bill.

Atm the Ducky is looking most likely certainly, although talking to a friend, the poker/noppoo is looking more attractive by the minute, just can't imagine using it as my normal keyboard for gaming etc :p

4. IvanIvanovich

Yeah, i saw you over at gh. I posted there too to check it's classifieds, Ducky 1087 in UK but it has blue switch for 60+post. Pretty good deal if you wouldn't mind blues and they still have it.
    I love the Poker, well obviously since I own 2. But they definitely take some getting used to. It wasn't as big a deal for me since I came from something close to the Choc Mini layout. But guests have a real hard time with my Poker, especially the blank key one. The Russian one doesn't help them much either.

5. GeorgeStorm

Yeah I saw you post, thanks for suggesting it, hadn't looked.

And yeah, two things that looked interesting was the Ducky, (how do blues compare to browns in actual use?) and a filco for like 100EUR shipped (I know it's a full keyboard, but looks like such a nice keyboard at a good price! also like the side etched keys)

And the more I look into the Pokers, the more i like the look of them, and I can imagine guests would be confused :p

6. IvanIvanovich

Blue is sort of like a retractable pen in feeling, you can really feel it's sharp snap on press. The brown is similar, but is a little lighter in force and without quite as well defined tactility. In other words they are somewhat similar but brown is less noisy and smoother feeling.

Right lots of confusion. Where is the rest of it? Where the f*ck is F4? But seriously if you play a lot of RTS or other games that use the Fkeys a lot, probably better to look at other boards. You can one hand it, but it is awkward pressing the fn key / L win key and a number with the same hand quickly to use the f keys or otherwise have to let go of the mouse to do it.

7. GeorgeStorm

Ok fair enough, to be fair, I'm sure I'd be ok with either

And none of the games I play use many F keys really, I'd probably miss them most for F5 when I try to refresh a webpage :p
    Will keep looking though, that Ducky is tempting, am going to ask for pics.

8. IvanIvanovich

Ah no worries for F5 for web use, it's just stressful in game when it can be really inconvenient to do it quickly. As far as switch, you probably would be. I have had all types of MX and I prefer red the most, but blue is my second favorite. I don't like blue quite as much for gaming, but find it a lot more enjoyable for typing. Basically why I have two Pokers one red, one blue.

Tyinsar likes this.
  9. GeorgeStorm

Have expressed interest in the ducky, so will wait to hear back about that.

I like the idea of a blank keyset on a mini keyboard, good to put off potential frapists :p

10. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

11. IvanIvanovich

Glad you find it useful. Rosewill is a great buy if you are in US/CA. It's a good deal since it is essentially re-branded Filco. So you get to save $50 on the same keyboard for not getting the Filco logo on it.
    If you have any specific questions, I will try and answer it.

12. GeorgeStorm

Yeah, the UK really gets screwed (as usual when it comes to buying anything computer related)

I think I'm going to go for the Ducky to start with, since £60 is easier to cope with mentally, and if I like it, then I've got another computer, so no reason I shouldn't get another ;)

13. nchhabs

nchhabs www.twitch.tv/dracaXL

Good luck with your mech keyboard journey! I started off buying one and now I have four, and only one computer... :worried:

14. IvanIvanovich

Sounds like a good plan to me. hahaha. I have 4 keyboards too, but 3 computers. Though I'm going to give one of my keyboards to my parents for Xmas. They are still using a Gateway keyboard that came with a system from 2000. It's so heinous.

15. GeorgeStorm

Well I went ahead and got a Ducky 1087 with blue keys. Should arrive tomorrow :D

And I've realised that spending this much on a keyboard is just good value, since I think I managed to spend almost £40 while out last night, and now severely regret it :p

16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I finally went mechanical not long ago and and very thankful for it. Purchased the semi-customizable board from WASDKeyboards with brown switches (I forget who actually manufactures the board, it's used in a couple other brand's mechanicals) and am very happy with it. I'm not an excellent typist but what's important is that it feels far better to use.

The only problem? Now that I've owned a mechanical for a few months and know what I like I'm tempted to buy another. :D

17. IvanIvanovich

You might hold on the Leopold, a new revision was just announced (I just saw the news today) and may have some improvements over the current version. I'm not sure when it will be shipping though.
    WASD is made by Costar just like Filco, Rosewill, Thermaltake, Mionix, Coolermaster... some others.

18. GeorgeStorm

19. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Ooh, thanks for the heads up. :thumb:

Hoping to get it as a Christmas gift, even if I can't get the new revision it's hard to beat free but we'll see how things play out.

20. GeorgeStorm

Arrived today, loving the sound :D (although I can already see my housemates yelling at me to stop typing at 4 in the morning :p)

My typing is still a bit lacklustre, but hopefully will get better, finding the smaller enter key most annoying at the moment.

Also, loving the ducky esc and blue wasd :D
    Definitely getting more keycaps, tempted to go for mainly blank just because I can :p