1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News This copy of Windows is not validated as genuine

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 26 Apr 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

That seems to be at odds with what MS says - "You can use Add or Remove Programs to view Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications, but you cannot use Add or Remove Programs to remove the notifications".

edit: beat me to it - there was no link to the forums, but Haz is mighty quick on the draw.

3. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

It should be noted that, You have to agree to the EULA regarding this install, clicking decline will bypass it. :)

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I have a legal copy of windows (from MSDNAA) so I thought "This will be fine" installed it.

Guess what?

I'm a pirate! YARRRR

5. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

mine is from the university, cant wait to see if im a pirate!

downloading

6. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

Well as I'm not running explorer I NEVER see any annoying pop-ups validation or otherwise :D
    Google "litestep" for more info.

I only have two xp machines anyway.. one for gaming and the others a PVR pc which I canno't get the linux drivers working on. As soon as vistas out I plan on totaly switching to 'nix. :)

7. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

meh, you can disable the notifications anyway by following the link when right clicking on the icon in the task bar, all it leaves is the taskbar icon which actually looks pretty funky (even though it does nothing).

I'm going to be buying a full version of media centre once ive finished uni and started working anyway, so i only have to put up with it for another two months.

8. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Why buy XP when you can buy Vista soon?

Oh and you can disable it completely if its installed. Just delete wgatray.exe (in Windows/System32). You'll have to end the process first.

9. Mord

Mord What's a Dremel?

Isnt that the point? get the pirater's to get worried and buy the new OS when it comes out rather then rest with the compfy nice OEM XP Pro.

10. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I can't see any sense in this. I'll give this program like 1.5 weeks and it will be cracked anyways. That way like everybody knowing what 'hack' or 'crack' means (and that's a lot of people) will be able to make this thing totally useless if it already isn't...
    I got my XP Pro from university too... waiting to get flamed by Microsoft. :)

11. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Who the f**k enables the Windows Update, if he is running a illegal copy of the OS? :wallbash:

I guess that those who haven't enabled it, would never be in touch with those PopUps :eyebrow:

And the fact, that you just can uninstall this poo is very amusing :hehe:

12. Faind

Faind What's a Dremel?

13. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

What pirate doesn't KNOW they're running a pirated copy? If they'll gimme a copy for $5 I'm up for that, beyond that I really just don't care. Honestly, it'd be one thing if it just locked down your entire machine until you call up MS and explain, but a little text message in the corner won't bother anyone.

14. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I know a bloke who bought a copy of XP very cheap on eBay. And I mean cheap. He was convinced it was kosher, he had an email from the seller saying so. :sigh:

Wonder if he's got the message? :duh:

15. Lexeus

Lexeus What's a Dremel?

Well apparently 17% of users who have run the windows update genuine advantage tool have failed the test and i.e. are pirates.

I guess the idea of the recent advertising and this program is an attempt to stop pirates making money off the operating system and more importantly, unkowing simpleton users buying pirate copies thinking they are official. :)

I have a UNI copy too, will be funny if it does say its pirate.
    Gonna buy a retail copy too, as soon as I actually can afford to buy software. I hate being a student its just a pain in the ass. :(

16. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

I dont even leave it on on my legit computers.

Dearest Microsoft,

Yargggg

-speedfreek

17. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

seems pointless with vista just round the corner

whatever MS comes up with will get hacked, their just wasting everyones time and effort

18. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

lol I have the little yellow shield waiting and it says in the description box

Size: 0.8 MB

The Windows Genuine Advantage Notification tool notifies you if your copy of Windows is not genuine. If your system is found to be a non-genuine, the tool will help you obtain a licensed copy of Windows.

:hehe: why didn't they just call it something else or put it in a security update...

19. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

dig, dig deeper, dig now, dog you f.... grave M$.
    that is so SAD i have a friend that has formated her computer sometimes and now she cant activate the copy via the internet, it says something like you have reached the limit of activations for this product. LOL something like "GO AND BUY A NEW ONE!!!!!!!"

20. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Sigh, it's a shame my web rig is legit. I can see this being a matter of pride at the next LAN - "Hey, who's got the pirated badge!"

Tags: Add Tags