1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is just so stupid, going to prison for keeping a fishing knife in car

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Twellmann, 9 Sep 2009.

1. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

What if someone had seen the knife and smashed a window to get it?

Strict laws are there for a reason, to stop people doing things. We need more of these 'silly' strict rules put back into place tbh, it'd soon shake the slum of society up (Burglars having rights, for instance - makes me sick). It'll never happen though as we don't have the capacity for it.

2. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Is a swiss army knife classified as a locking knife to the police? I presume not...

I always have mine in my laptop bag and regularly in London with it - maybe I should be more careful.

I know you can get done for having a knife within arms reach while driving.

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Are you actually serious?

Unfortunately so. Thankfully in some countries you can open or close carry a blade around with you and the police can't do anything about it. The UK is not one of them.

Incidentally, the word liberal is not quite right. I suppose in the modern perverted sense of the word, liberal means authoritarian, but in the proper sense of liberality, I'd be carrying a knife around with me every day.

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Another reason why i want to leave the UK.

I use to carry a pocket knife for many years, i was sat on a wall in front of my old college eatting an apple by slicing bits off with my knife.

Police officer came up and started giving me hassle about the knife, to which i stood my ground and said i could walk into 3 shops in plain view of my location and purchase a cooking knife that would be far more suited to the job of stabbing some body. I am eatting a dam apple with a folding knife with a blade less than 3in so piss off.

At this point his partner much older came up had a look at the knife, agree'd with me dropped the whole matter. Asked me to calm down because i was in a bit a rage over the whole mater at hand and they walked away with the younger officer still trying to argue his point of 'its a knife!'.

I say stand your ground, some ***** thinks there is no use for pocket knifes in this day and age, but the day i dont carry it i know there will be something to cut, or a screw to remove!

5. kenco_uk

Why do you ask?

6. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Because I'm curious if anyone is dumb enough to suggest that a knife in a car should be against the law simply because someone might break into the car to get it.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yes because by that argument (Im agreeing), every John Lewis and Ikea is committing an offense because someone might steal a knife. Or god forbid, even BUY a knife.

What about at home? I could stab other family members and I have a draw full of knives! Even ones designed to cut meat.

8. kenco_uk

Tbh, yes call me paranoid, but when I see axes in DIY places or huge knives in Instore or wherever, something at the back of my mind does think, "Jeez, hope there are no nutjobs around".

9. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

this is the point tho, it doesnt matter if you removed every sharp implement from the surface of the planet. that nut job could still smash you over the head with an iron in argos, or a copy of lotr in borders, or a bottle in the pub, or his hands.

10. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Along the same lines; I found it utterly confusing why they stopped using metal cutlery on planes. The plastic ones are just as deadly if you were inclined to attempt murder with your in-flight meal. I think in cases like this they are simply trying to ease the minds of the paranoid population rather than actually make things safer.

11. specofdust

specofdust Banned

There are things far more stupid than that. You can take a glass bottle onto a plane. You can also take one lighter, and a deodorant or similar pressurised spray can, so long as it's under a certain size. So you can have a broken bottle and a make-shift flame-thrower, but god forbid you have a metal fork.

12. walle

walle Minimodder

Stop trolling please.

julianmartin likes this.
  13. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Murderer!

Anyway, although this case was ridiculous and was taken too far in my opinion, I think carrying knives in public is not a good idea because they have the potential to harm people, whether the person carrying the knife intends for it to be used that way or not, and so should be discouraged from doing so. Obviously there is a number of people that won't take any notice, which may or may not include those that do intend to harm people, or those that just don't care, and for that reason it is illegal in this country.

Of course some people need them for work, but the vast majority people don't, and it's often the case that those who do can leave them at their place at work so their is no need for them to carry them on their person. And since when to people the work in IT need knives? Last time I checked (I'm reasonably confident that their job description will agree with me) it involved working with computers. I work in a supermarket FFS, where 50% of my job involves nothing more than opening boxes, yet I don't carry a knife, I just do it with my bare hands (Grrrr!) - it's not like you're Ray Mears trying to fashion a canoe out of a tree.

So there may be exceptions to the rule; all it needs is to be implemented with common sense (a tough ask, I know) because, as always, the cases aren't always black and white. If you are indeed innocent and have a valid reason for carrying a knife and have done so ensuring it was kept safe and not likely to harm others then I am sure you wouldn't be found guilty - the judges and juries aren't fools after all, even if some police officers decide to take things too far.

14. kenco_uk

Woohoo, my first one. Finally :rock:

I support strict rulings, sorry it doesn't meet with your views.

15. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Have you considered that it might be an idea just to make doing harm to people with knives illegal, just like it actually already is? You can smash someones skull in, but we don't make it illegal to walk around with a plank of wood, or your own hands. Bottom line is, potential for harm lies with the person, not with anything they're carrying.

16. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

That is such a huge eye-opener, now I've seen one single person in the world that really likes this sorta ********.

And I REALLY feel sorry for people living in the UK, because things are really going to hell over there. :sigh:

Luckily things over here in Finland are still more reasonable. Puukko (the traditional knife) is something that people simply have and use. Some times the "use" refers to stabbing someone, but so what, if they really want to kill someone then they will. I think I've even gone into a store once or twice with the knife hanging from the belt. It was there for I was coming from or heading to the forest for camping. Felt bad when I noticed it, but that's it.

I also think that's the way it's supposed to be. Banning everything JUST DOESN'T WORK. :wallbash:

Woah a long post, this stuff just really sets me off.

17. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I don't think he's trolling, quite the opposite imo. I don't agree, but he can feel free to express his opinion here.

18. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Plastic cutlery can cause amazing bursts of rage because its so crap, cabin crew would be safer handing out real cutlery!

19. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I think you'll have to forgive walle and myself, in all honesty I did think he was being sarcastic. I didn't seriously think anyone would hold that view.

20. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Yeah, but that's obviously not working, is it?

Like yourself, I'm probably the last person that wants to see this country degenerate into a totalitarian police state, but that's hardly what I'm suggesting. I just don't see the point of people carrying knives when they don't need to.