1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Tom's Hardware: Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart (useful resource)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by boiled_elephant, 3 Apr 2013.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I don't know if this has been linked to before (did a quick search and couldn't find it), so in case anyone hasn't seen it already, here's a really handy thing:

Graphics Card Hierarchy

I already had a sketchy version of this in my head based on FPS charts and wiki's architectural charts, but this is by far the most easy-to-read and comprehensive format I've seen for sizing up cards against each other. It's only a generalized ranking, but it's great for quickly placing & comparing different cards in the overall scheme of things when shopping around.

(And no, Tom's Hardware aren't paying me, I just have a boner for well-organised information :clap:)

2. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Yeah I've seen that. It's great for seeing, at a glance, where your current card sits compared to a proposed upgrade.

3. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

Nice cheers for that hope they keep it updated! Although they don't have my laptop card in there :(

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I've referenced it a few times when giving advice, but it's useful enough to be linked here I think.

5. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I think as soon as they review a card it goes in.

6. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

I noticed that they said that they put the mobile cards in on reader requests but obviously they are harder to test in a fixed configuration / testing scenario.

7. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Great link bookmarking when I get home to reference for my text gpu upgrade. Well my first upgrade. Price vs gain over a 570.

8. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Not a bad resource that I've used.

But honestly this is how I do the math.

If I pay x amount of money how much % more am I getting? If it's the same price for 100%, then it's acceptable. If it's more, it's worth the upgrade.

In other words. 2 Year upgrade cycles usually do the trick. If I can get 100%+ for 50% of the price then it's entirely worth it.

9. timmehtimmeh

timmehtimmeh Minimodder

aww, the 9700 pro I had back at Uni. What an awesome card it was (for £150?)

When are these gtx 7 series cards coming out to replace the 680's?

10. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

End of 2013 or beginning of 2014.

11. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Good resource for sure, but I'd argue Anandtech Bench is the ultimate GPU comparison resource.

You can easily compare different GPUs from different years, across a multitude of games/applications. Obviously performance changes due to drivers but as an overall guide, it can't be beaten.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  12. rollo

rollo Modder

Can't say ive read too many reviews of GPUs in the years gone by, Anandtech does a resource for comparing old gpus to new ones and thats all you really need. Most of the GPU reviews rarely test the games i actually play, Most tested games are FPS games (COD, BF3, Crysis 1 or 2) which is great if you play them i dont play many of them at all.

Anandtechs bench at least goes across multiple different genres thats why for me and a few others it seems its a better resource.

If you double your fps going from a nvidia 470 to a nvidia 680 then your getting a good deal in my book.

13. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

14. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

HD6850 to a 670.