1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Top 10 Reasons Intel will not participate in the dual core duel"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RotoSequence, 18 Nov 2005.

1. Malvolio

Malvolio .

And so thats why my old sempron can multitask better than a prescott, right? :D

2. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

*checks server uptime*
    134 days, last rebooted about 30mins after it was installed for some driver or other
    and thats an overclocked chip too :D
    i wuv my XP2500 and NF7-S
    most stable system i've ever used (only a little more stable than this one and thats graphics related not cpu ;))

3. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Oh come on you silly people; BOTH can be very reliable depending on your choice of PSU and chipset, the up to datedness of your drivers and bios, the type of RAM you use, and your powersupply; then theres the OS to consider ;)

"Everyone knows Intel is the most stable" is a long held belief fading back several years; we need to see how things pan out over time.

I only posted this because I thought it was funny as hell; some of you are taking this far too seriously :p

4. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

That's pretty funny :D

5. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

I seriously doubt it. Ill tell you one thing though. My 630 does 4.36ghz and a nice 45% oc with a crappy psu. My load temps are in the mid 40's with a 4 year old water block and a single 120mm heatercore and stupid evercool fan.

Im not saying that the presscots run cool but they are not the sluches you guys make them out to be. May I remind you about your mighty fx series being spanked by a cheep p3 in sheeps clothing (dothan). The roadmap for next gen dual core puts the dual cores in the same heat output as a single northwood while dubling the cache again. and also lets see amd's road map for the next fiew years. Besides adopting ddr2 after intel matured it? Nothing.

Im not an intel fanboy however. I would like to own a nice litle opteron setup. But at the moment there is nothing I cant do that an fx57 or extreme edition can.

6. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

I thought it was funny - forwarded link to all my friends.

I love intel teh best, but sometimes AMD is the right thing for the job.

By the way, check out the thread regarding my new $40,000 server with 16gb ram and 4 dual core opterons here: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=101240
    (initial photos coming soon.)

7. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

ddr3? Quad core cpu's?
    they're supposed to arrive around 2007

i also thought it was pretty funny, but i cant miss an opportunity to take a poke at the silly intel fans ;)

8. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Not so much a wolf in sheep's clothing that you may think. Youre right, it is heavily based on the Pentium 3 core. However, the architecture behind it is not the humble Pentium 3 that commonly comes to mind; Dothan is based heavily on the Tualatin project. This is the chip that was the Pentium 3 M. It has proven the architecture was capable in its current state of hitting 1.7 Ghz on a 130nm process. What killed it in performance was its lack of a DDR chipset. Even with just 196 megabytes of SD RAM and 256K of L2 cache, my Tualatin based Celeron at 1.4 Ghz is very competitive with Willamette Pentium 4s. Its no cheep P3 in sheep's clothing; it was a brilliantly well engineered project with huge amount of potential, that met an unjust end because of those at marketing.

9. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

yes, there is a time and palce for everything. im an intel/nVidia fan. I stuck with nVidia through the 9700 pro days and I actualy own a 9700 pro because it was better than the GF4. I own no amds but half a dozen intel procs of various makes. AMD is winning this round, no biggie. i just want to see intel engineers either get up off their asses or release some secret powerhouse proc they have been working on in the background while making half ditched efforts at the last few chips. For now though I concede the A64s have the pentiums down.

/me waits

10. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Blame marketing, not the engineers tbh; they would have kicked the crap out of AMD by now if given a chance from their marketing department.

11. TMM

TMM Modder

as Tom's hardware proved :idea:

12. 731|\|37

well then I blame marketing

13. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Only down time I've had is when i've turned the thing off :naughty:

14. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I did that by running SLi. And I actually get a performance increase. The exhileration of uber-sweet graphics adds a touch of warmth to the room as well. Convenient as I have a HUGE window in my room letting in all the cold (through convection, no I DON'T leave it open in the winter) and I'm the last room in the house's heating circuit.

But I'm glad to know I have something to fall back on. To their credit, the entry-level DC chip is a shade cheaper, if you exclude overall migration costs (or get a 915 board).

Borderline slanderous, but still good for a laugh. Though I thought Moore's Law was towards microprocessors in general, not specifically Intel. Must be wrong... and in any case it's constantly misinterpreted.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

There's little Tom's could actually "prove".

I spose if we wanted true warmth we could just run a bulky CRT :p

16. jaguarking11

Actualy its not marketing that killed the tualatin. Its the retirement of intels cheif engeener. The willamete has evolved to prescots of today. same basic cores. The tualatin is basicaly a copermine shrunken to .13micron. And I too owned a cuple of tualatin celerons that frankly were faster than p4 in just about every aspect and cost me to build the same price as a p4 chip. My old system was a soyo via powered intel mobo with a 5dollar converter and 768mb of pc133 ram. The whole system bar psu and drives cost me about 160bux shiped. It was quicker than 2ghz willametes and gamed better.

And fyi the dothan core aka tualatin core has not been killed yet. Its expected to hit as a desktop chip by mid next year.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

If Tulians had DDR they would have been freakin awesome. I had a dually tulian setup but the PC100 ram killed any performance.

18. jaguarking11

Even with 100fsb my tualatain celeron was no slouche. But you could have gotten one with rambus ram. As I recall rambus was better than early ddr as well.

19. 731|\|37

:~} im running rambus on my p4 system because PC1066 was a better choice than the current DDR

20. jaguarking11

Doubt it. pc3200 ram is equal to pc1066 now and lets not forget the high performance ddr. ranging all the way to pc4800. Mind you rambus was cut short and never quite evolved as mutch as ddr has over the years.

I like new gen ddr2 tho. pc800ram as well as pc1000 ram should be where ram starts to get competitive for ddr2 in the performance sector but ddr2 is more competitive from the cost factor than ddr1. Being that i can pick up 2gigs of ddr2 for less than 2gigs of ddr1. 160bux for 2 gigs of ram on my curent rig aint bad IMHO. It not stellar performing ram giving me roughly 6500mb/s in 1:1 config on my curent setup but for the price its exelent.