1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Top 10 Reasons Intel will not participate in the dual core duel"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RotoSequence, 18 Nov 2005.

1. Touchwood

Touchwood What's a Dremel?

As they say, only time will tell. But thanks for the humour!

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

the FSB wasnt the problem, it was the PC100 SDRAM memory bandwidth. PC600 rambus was crap and wouldnt have suited the Tulis short, efficient pipeline.

3. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

4. allforcarrie

allforcarrie Banned

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Actually it was more or less a joke, but in my case it is true. My 2.8 1m prescott wasn't able to handle installing a game, listening to music, and surfing the internet. It got excessively slow to the point where I had thought it locked up. But yet a sempron 1.66ghz and an A7N8X-E is able to do all that and only slightly slow down.

Why this happened: the board for the intel was crap, and didn't work right.

So, yeah, my little sempron out preformed a prescott :p Take that intel fans!

6. Touchwood

Touchwood What's a Dremel?

This is getting too intelectual for me, cos, I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

7. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

...ah! the good ol` tualatin, coming up once more...still have my 1.4 at home, and iirc it runs at 133 not 100 sdram (or should i say with to be correct)...one of the finest cpu's i have ever had the privilige to own, and keep!

8. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

The Celerons ran with a 100 mhz FSB; the full 512K L2 cache Pentium 3-s' as they were called had a 133 MHz front side bus.

9. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

The first pentium IIIs ran at 100 while the celerys ran at 66 (fsb of course...) - later it was changed to 133 for the p3s, but for the life of the p3 family you could buy ones that had a 100mhz fsb. A friend of mine had an old abit board that would only do 100fsb (when not overclocked,) so he bought a p3 850 that was 8.5 x 100. The also ended up releasing celerys with 100mhz fsb to follow the ones with 66mhz.

10. silent_project

silent_project What's a Dremel?

Zing! almost as good as the sun ad campaign against dell..

11. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

Kinda like my buddys stock runing amd xp mobo with a 1600+ that runs the ide buss off spec at default causing him to reformat his machine every 3months?

Blame the mobo bud not the chip. My buddy has a 2.8 that does 3.9ghz with an evercool setup (probably worse temps than a decent air setup)

I realy dont understand people sometimes. Blame the prescot for being way too hot and unstable when everyone seems to have a brain fart when installing the heatsink and for god's sake people should replace the thermal pad with some thermal paste. Grow up people. And yes presscots put out more heat than a space heater but at the moment snow seems to be headed to my area so it should keep me warm. :D

12. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Meh, like I said my statement was meant in jest, but it was factual (just a little play on words). A lot of intel's chips do run hot, but I've found the prescott's actually do run fairly cool. Both mine and my buddies (I've got the 1m L2, he's got the 512kb L2) run at around 30c idle. He's got a super expensive after market heatsink with very good thermal compound. I've got a stock heatsink held on with some old curtain hangers (custom built, oh yeah baby :hip: ) and some rubbish thermal compound I got at radio shack. Go figure.

For the most part I like AMD because it’s cheaper, runs at lower speeds (yet still out-performs intels that are double the speed), and a big part is their business practices. They’re not perfect, but from what I’ve heard (through media, obviously) AMD doesn’t resort to strong-arm tactics as often.

I don’t know, I just like emm, that’s all :D

13. westie

westie What's a Dremel?

ROFL!!

14. Echo

Echo What's a Dremel?

Haha, love it.

You know, ever since I saw the size of the P4, then looked at how small my lil XP2500 was, I stuck to AMD.. A bad choice? Who's to know.. but at that time AMD was as fast, cheaper and smaller.. So I turned my back on Intel. but I am never one to hypocracise.. so, I'm off to read up about the current range of Intel's gear... then hopefully I'll get a picture of where I'm at.. :p

Laters..

15. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

ummm - wait 'til January - as right now, AMD is kicking our arse......

(Now look what you Brits have done - you've gotten me to type arse.... What's the world coming to?)

16. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

the British Empire is secretly reforming, all you dirty colonists will soon be back under control :D :p

17. [-Stash-]

[-Stash-] What's a Dremel?

Hahahaha, excellent :) That's funnier than the original post :D

18. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

I have one of the old 1GHz 133fsb P3 coppermine-t cpu's in my fileserver, did a decent job as my main pc for my first three years at uni (2001-2004) before i got an AXP setup. I'm not a fan of the current P4 cpu's, not due to the heat, but more due to the price of getting a reasonable setup.

The 939 opterons have dumped the price/performance factor even more, so intel will have to come up with some pretty damn good chips to get back into things, specially if their rein of the OEM market is put to bed.

19. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

I duno about that. Intel in the past used to sell p2's for 400bux a pop and celerons as high as 200bux a pice. Now you get a new 64bit celery for 75bux and you get a good performing chip for the price. Midrange I get a 200dollar chip from intel and oc. IF you want top of the line out the box you pay for it out of both chip manufacturers. But my 630 does very well for itself stock and does far better than expected with a 45% oc and honestly my psu is holding me back. In total my system cost me 550bux and thats with a cheepo psu. It runs strong and I game at high res, Im shure you could do the same with a 939 amd so pick and choose.

One thing I refuse to belive is that amd rigs game so mutch better than intels when it comes down it it for similarly rated chips the diference is 5-7%. So ill take my ~4.4gig chip and call it a day. Ill be looking forward to 65nm dual cores with more cache.

The way i see it its a race that keeps both sides on their toes. it started with the tbirds back in the day that were the first real rival to intel and forced intel to make cumine chips. Then intel made decent chips for a while untill willamete came along. AXP was king with willamete. But a litle lader you had the northwoods that honestly demolished the amdxp's so you now got the amd64. Next up its intels turn and amd will retaliate and the whole cycle will continue witch means only one thing. I will get cheeper and better performing chips. Yay for competition.

Is my view one sided? Perhaps. Will it hold up? time will tell. Am I happy with my system? Your dam rite.