1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows Torchwood: Children of Earth

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 7 Jul 2009.

1. WolfandAngel

WolfandAngel Got fins?

love the 5 episod thing hope dr. who comes back on or makes an aperans

2. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Not to mentionhow the concrete happens to crumble eactly around Jack

3. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

That bit I didn't think was an issue - there was a void in the middle of the concrete where Jack and the gurney was - and the concrete wasn't reinforced.

That and it can't possibly have had time to set all the way through.

4. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

out of intrest I know jack cant die because of something to do with a fixed constant in time but is he actually human?? always intrigued me why he has the time travel device.

5. Hardware150

Hardware150 Minimodder

Spoiler post !!!

If you really wanna spoil it with "HOWS DOES CONCRETES RIPS OUTS OFS WALLS!?!? here goes.
    Anyone notice the the concrete took 5 seconds to dry?, notice how easy it was for the woman (forget her name) to open the door into the concrete filled room?, and could that jcb thingy carry a concrete block that large and not tip over, nevermind outrunning persuers in it while carrying a massive mount of concrete on the front without it tipping over.
    Also notice how gunshots can kill jack for 10 mins at a time, whereas darlick rays / incineration / radiation he gets up from straight away or (in the case of incineration where his clothes are still fine and the radiation, he never even died), like WTF.
    And while im on it MUST we be reminded that he can't die 2+ times an episode?, come on writters, in dr who he died to make the enemy think he's dead so he could go deep cover, but killing him every two seconds gets so old -_-

Saying all that im quite enjoying it, and do you think when he said "send the stuff to this number" it was the doctors number?

all done

Edit: last ep 22 mins :O

Last edited: 10 Jul 2009
  6. smashie

smashie Cupid Stunt

Go on then, where do you go from there! Or is this a budget cut.

Pretty damn good apart from the 'six months later'.

M:)

7. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

erm...wow...yeah?

Way to end, but
    does that mean this is the end of Torchwood? Can't see that it would be the same without Capt Jack :(

I like the way that Jack ended by saying "I have lived so many lives". Wasn't that what the Face of Bo said before he died?

I have to say that I really enjoyed it - call me strange, but I watch TV for entertainment, not to pick holes in the plotlines - I wasn't convinced about the 5-part format, but it's obvious that RTD and his writing chums really took the opportunity to stretch their writing muscles.

The only this is, like Smashie said, I'm not sure where they can go from there. Is this RTD's way of bowing out of sci fi entirely? Will they bother getting someone else to replace him?
    Will Capt Jack ever return?

Waiting for the DVD release now :)

8. Stompy

Stompy What's a Dremel?

Just in case you don't know.... Capt. Jack IS the Face of Bo!

9. GreatOldOne

Great ending to a great series.

I'm glad that there are ramifications to what's happened - no happily ever after press the reset button ending.

That said, I'm sure that there will be more Torchwood... By the time a year rolls round, I'm sure that Gwen will try and start up a new group - She won't be heavily pregnant by them, and She's already offered Lois a job. I wonder if Auntie Terrorist (I don't think we ever got her name, did we?) will be part of it.... And somehow, Jack will be back. If not in the first episode, at some point in the next run. Probably after he's bared his soul to the Doc and been absolved of his sins.

At least I hope so. After all, I don't want to get mugged by weevils next time I go to Cardiff for the Rugby! ;)

Last edited: 10 Jul 2009
  10. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

The finale looked a bit well..... final to me, but Goo's theory makes sense.

11. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I really enjoyed this, I'd never watched torchwood before, only seen the bit where gwen snogs that women :) But COE was great :D

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Agreed. That was a ****ing awesome five-parter! :clap:

It was dark, it was creepy, it was gritty, it was real oh-****-how-are-they-going-to-get-out-of-this-one story. It had a few plot holes in but to be honest you didn't notice that much.

I liked the ambiguous morality of the characters and I really liked the dialogue between goverment officials on how to solve their dillemma... very realistic with eerie connotations of eugenics and fascism. In a world on the brink of economic, ecological and political collapse, see our possible future... As my wife said: "When you've seen that you look at the current erosion of human rights (under anti-terrorist laws) in a whole new light".

I also liked how the 456 made the point: "Millions of children die [of famine, war and disease] and you are indifferent". So why are the humans making such a big deal about their demands?

Perhaps Jack will come back driven by a need to redeem himself. After all can't turn your back on a planet after you saved it at such huge personal sacrifice. Once you've made that investment... there's no turning away.

I could see Auntie Terrorist joining the gang, as well as Louise. They would bounce off well of each other --one a hardened cynical soldier, the other an idealist office worker.

13. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Is there much point of the censors any more?

Unless some people are catching up on iplayer but they'd be pretty foolish to click on this thread in the first place; I can't see what they'd get from this thread in the middle of a series.

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Perhaps we should just have a NSFS tag (Not Safe For Spoilers).

15. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

Watched this on iPlayer, and I can honestly say, I have never been so gripped by a sci-fi series - especially from the Who universe, but I'll be damned, that was one hell of a good week's worth of televisual entertainment - I can honestly say I loved it. It wasn't without its moments of discomfort, particularly towards the end of episodes 4 and 5, but it made it all the more... "believeable..."

Joe

16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Our American friends don't get the show until July 20th (officially).

17. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

BBC America - starts tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

john

18. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Commercials show a 'new' to the US DR. Who movie/miniseries coming. Hush! I watch.

john

Planet of the Dead?

Last edited: 21 Jul 2009
  19. GreatOldOne

That's the Dr Who 'Special' we had at Easter - this last season of Who with Dave Tennant as the Doctor is a series of one off stories.

Planet of the Dead is OK, but not Who firing on all cylinders TBH.

The next one is Waters of Mars, which we get in the Autumn - this looks a whole lot more impressive from the trailers.

20. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Wow, first episode of Children of Earth was great. Really kept me on the edge of my seat. What I especially liked was new insight into the characters and their lives. Looking forward to more this evening.