1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Travel Camera Choice

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Arboreal, 29 Aug 2023.

1. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

If you're comfortable with the Nikon, then go for it, At least with the Z50, you can use the Full Frame lenses, and you can upgrade to a FF body at a later date.
    For Canada, I'm looking to hire a Z8, The 100-400 and the Tamron 35-150 F2/2.8, So i'll have 2 bodies and 4 lenses to use.

That Tamron 35-150 looks like it's the ultimate all in one lens, but it's not cheap.

Sam

Arboreal likes this.
  2. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

:jawdrop:

No. It certainly is not that!

samkiller42 and Arboreal like this.
  3. samkiller42

So, A spanner in the works, But Nikon could be announcing a Z50 mk2 sometime this year.
    Improved AF, Screens, maybe moar MP, Higher price. Guess we'll find out soon.

Sam

Arboreal likes this.
  4. al_bundy

al_bundy Minimodder

i startet with a Canon 1000D 15 years ago. And this body was not that bad. But u need Light. Up to Iso 400 it was ok.

Then i updated to a Canon 70D. This body is much heavier and much bigger and the ergnomic is much better. But its heavy. U can produce good pictures up to Iso 2000. Especially the autofocus is really good.

Some weeks ago i changed to a mirrorlesscam Canon M50 MKII.
    The body is small, the body is light. But the performance is not bad. Good pix up to Iso 2400. But the ergonomic was not that good coz, the body is very small compared to the 70D. I made this step just coz, i need 4K in Video. So the 70d is my new studiocam and if i go outside i use the M50 MKII.

Its an misconception that the user made the pix. If u have a bad cam and lens, u cant produce good shots. Justthe Iso is a problem. Also lens's r important. Big lenses has her advanteges by low Light and zooms need some weights and space...

U should set a scope of application to urself. Then u can check whats at the market. Actually a used Canon M50 MKII is a good option for everything. Choose a good lens and u will be happy.

U will never geht everything u need in one package. Its always a compromise. The body maked the focus and the Iso. The lens made the rest as long the user knows what he do. Everything have to fit for a good result. U get a used M50 MKII for around 300€. Its a good deal, a light cam, good focus, good for low light good features and good performance and u r flexible with some lenses.

Arboreal likes this.
  5. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I disagree with a lot of this. A pro photographer will take better photos with a technologically inferior camera, than an amateur photographer with a professional camera. Yes, if you pixel peep the inferior camera might not have captured every last detail or might be more noisy, but does that matter as long as they look good to you?
    I started with an EOS100D some years ago, and then recently swapped to a 90D. Is it better in every sense of the word? Yes. Does it allow more creative freedom? Sometimes. Has it made me a better photographer? Absolutely not. Some of my best photos were taken with my 100D because I had to think about what I was taking rather than knowing the camera will do a good enough job that I can then fix in post. Would I buy any Canon at the minute? Probably not because they seem to have no real clue in what direction they want head.

The EF-M system is also dead in the water. Canon Japan have formally discontinued it and there weren't ever that many lenses available for it.

Sony would probably be my choice at the moment, but that Nikon does sure look nice!

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'm a little 50-50 between both of you - noizdaemon you're absolutely right that a technically terrible camera can take great pictures in the right hands, but sometimes a little over the cheapest model is the best solution.

e.g. I started with an 1100D, and it was (and still is) far more capable than me, but for the shooting I do (mostly motorsports) there were 2 things that let it down - AF and low light performance. Jump up to something more capable (70D or 7D were my upgrade paths) and both of those are resolved, now you're back to it being your own issues.

I would never suggest spending all that out of the box, but it is a slight consideration. For daylight/holiday walkaround though I would absolutely agree that other things are far more important.

wyx087 likes this.
  7. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

*Random Update*

I still haven't bought anything and our trip hasn't been booked either...!

I have however borrowed a friend's Nikon Z6 + 14-70/4 Z lens kit for the weekend :D

I was very impressed with the indoor low light performance last night, and with IBIS turned on, made hand held shots a lot easier.

I'll be out & about with it later today and tomorrow weather willing and will report back.

Initial thoughts are that the ergonomics and UI are excellent as an existing Nikon DSL user, something that just grated with the Fuji X-T1 and the lens is great too. The EVF is outstanding and something that had always been complimented on the Z6/Z7.

I'll see how it handles out & about, but at the moment feel that the smaller Z50 will be a better solution for my portable camera needs. The Z lenses are large and bulky compared to some of the F equivalents, but are mostly higher quality overall by the look of it.

Watch this space

samkiller42 and wyx087 like this.
  8. samkiller42

Interesting thoughts on the Z6. The Z lenses are superb. The 100-400 I rented for Iceland last year was phenomenal.
    The 24-70/4 Is a very sharp lens, and is what I had on the Z7ii, But I always wanted more, Hence going for the 24-120/4

Oh, and Nikon rumours is at it again, Z6iii or Z9H, They can't decide what they want more.

Sam

Arboreal likes this.
  9. Arboreal

I had a great weekend with the Z6 plus 27-70/4 and Voigtlander 50/2 apo lanthar Z.

It felt intuitive after a bit of handling on Saturday and was easy to use and rewarding.

As you'll see on the daily photo thread, I used the cat as a model and got quality and detail in the images that I've not had elsewhere and have been missing out on.

The EVF is the best I've experienced barring the Leica SL my friend has, and looks more natural than the Fuji X-T1 which is well regarded for its age.

The magnification option for manual focusing is great, I didn't even try the peaking feature.

It's heavier than I would like for all eventualities, but the IBIS could well be a feature that I can't do without. I have a feeling that non VR lenses in low light on a Z50 could be a disappointment and that the smaller EVF won't be as engaging.
    Ironically, Z5 would probably suit me as well as Z6 but remains more expensive used and is no lighter even though it has fewer metal parts in its build.
    I don't need FF 4k video nor fast fps, which are the Z5s 2 weak points that differentiate it from the Z6.
    The low light AF and noise are supposed to be less good too on the Z5.

So, I could do with a day with a Z50 to do a proper comparison, but have no access to one yet.

samkiller42 likes this.
  10. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I am seriously out of touch...:worried:

Arboreal likes this.
  11. Arboreal

It doesn't really matter unless you're in the market for another camera, or something's missing in your kit.

I haven't followed the market closely for some years and am reading up a lot to see what could work for me.

It's not like the camera you have takes any worse images over time, things move on and there are things that you may want that you can't achieve so easily.

As mentioned, IBIS was an eye opener, especially with limited experience with in lens optical stabilisation. The fact that it works with all the native lenses and things like the chipped Voigtlanders to a lesser extent really helps

wyx087 likes this.
  12. Arboreal

I've given up on guessing what Nikon are up to and when they;re doing it. They''ll do it in their own time and their own way!

I really can't decide if their heart is in it with DX cameras, a Z50 II would be handy after all this time, or is the effort better put into the FX range?

Looking back, you can see that the DX DSLRs were sidelined to a greater degree despite the amazing following for the D500. I guess it's a bit like the YT video I watched yesterday about the demise of small screen phones, the iPhone Mini was popular in its niche but had something like only 3% of the iPhone market, making it uneconomical to pursue. People liked it then when on buying big and really big models even more!

The latest gen AF in Z9/Z9/Zf has brought Nikon back to the fore on some fronts and trickling that tech down to the Z/6?Z7 may help their position. No idea on the D9H bit, the Olympics are coming this summer, but don't know if the current Z9 is actually lacking in capacity for that.

It's not like what they have already is incapable!

Last edited: 19 Mar 2024