1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News UbiSoft ditches PC DRM tactics

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 6 Sep 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

So does this cover previously bought games that were crippled with Uplay ? or is it only for new releases ?

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

looks like i may preorder Assassin's Creed 3 and Watchdogs after all. :D

4. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Probably not. They shot themselves so many times in the RPS interview that I have no idea if they're being sincere or if it's a marketing ploy. I'll want to see more action before I can trust them again.

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

APRIL FOOL!

Oh wait its September.

6. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

Cool, this is great news.

7. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I'm still boycotting any Ubi' games until it's confirmed they don't use any of the old DRM, online activation and a serial number is ok I guess but nothing more.

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

If this turns out to be 100% true, then Ubisoft can have my custom again. I won't hold a grudge, I don't think I've missed anything too fantastic anyway - don't overly love the AC/Anno style games personally.

Watchdogs, on the other hand, makes me salivate every time I think about it, although it might be a huge disappointment. Like Prototype was. I remember being moist with anticipation when I saw the preview screenshots, and then the finished product was a stinking mess (IMHO).

9. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Same. If they have changed their ways then hey they can have my custom again. I'm just glad they didn't put it on Rayman as I LOVED that game and wouldn't have played it if it had that BS.

10. Artanix

Artanix Minimodder

Fixed it :)

11. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

I can confirm. I pulled out my internet, booted into windows and you can start up uplay to play some games (only tested AC:B & AC:R) and it'll notify you about the part you cannot access when offline (multiplayer, obviously), but doesn't stop you from playing singleplayer or saving or other such things. Better than Steam, which refuses to start up in offline mode :).

12. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Could anyone test Splinter Cell conviction? I fancy trying that game (when's its a fiver or something) but held off due to the DRM.

13. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

I would love to be a fly in the room when they told the execs that they lost sales due to the DRM and that pirares have less problems playing the game than paying customers.

14. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

This is exactly how I feel. At least now if they do come out with anything good I will be much more inclined to make a purchase.

Hmm looks like it could be good. I haven't been paying much attention to it recently, probably because I knew it was Ubisoft and would have DRM...

15. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

I'm with you on that one, though one thing Ubi does well is the generally high quiality of thier games...... after a few patches :worried: :p

16. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

this company has got ulterior motives im sure. first the drm was a success yet the last statement was that pc titles are pirated by 95%, so what is it?

all i see is a big pile of meat (sirloin medium rare with a draught of castle larger beer) and when u take it a big box traps u. now u live the rest of ur life in an expensive bird cage.

17. Comfyasabadger

Comfyasabadger What's a Dremel?

Screen shot or it didn't happen.

18. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I'd like to think that this post made sense, but I just can't seem to :confused:

19. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

was channeling michael from "the office US" with his weird ways of explaining but u know what he means :D

im saying its a trap. have u never put down bird seed under a box and when the bird comes pull the string and down goes the box to trap it? i used bird cage cos this children tactic was mostly used on birds, well in my area.

20. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Hmmm I am suspicious of their motives, I suspect there is something else going on here.

Tags: Add Tags