1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks UK: Find Me A Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by atanum141, 9 Dec 2007.

1. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Lo chaps!

Basically im sick and tired of having a huge rig where the most i do is surf the web so im downsizing to a lappy. Ive had a look around and ive got a general idea at what i want but i would like to see what you guys come up with.

Specs:

CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core/ Core2Duo (would consider AMD Turiton but i don't know how good they are)
    RAM: 2Gig (1Gig at a stretch)
    HDD: 120Gig
    GFX: Anything that can play HL2 reasonably
    OPTICAL: DVDRW Dual Layer
    USB: 4 Ports (can have 2 minimum)
    VGA: Must have VGA port
    WIRELESS: Full B/G Capable
    SCREEN: 15inch
    PRICE: £450 Max

If im missing any info please let me know.

Also what would be a good time to order? January sales?

2. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

Last edited: 9 Dec 2007
  3. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

http://www.rizeon.com

I can't praise them enough and I won't even be receiving my lappy 'til tomorrow. :hehe:

I ordered a Compal IFL90 laptop with them last week as follows:

15.4" Screen
    C2D T7500 2.2Ghz, 4Mb L2 Cache, 800 FSB
    2Gb 667MHz DDR2 in Dual-channel (2x1Gb)
    7'200 RPM 120Gb SATA2 HDD
    WinXP Pro
    8600M GT 512Mb GPU (removable/replaceable, MXM2 format)
    DVD-RW drive
    Onboard HD Audio
    Arctic Silver 5 for TIM
    Targus Notebook carry-case
    Microsoft Optical Mouse
    1 Year collect & return warranty

£893 incl. VAT with free delivery

The IFL90 has VGA and S-Video ports, but no DVI.
    I wouldn't make use of the DVI anyway, so VGA and S-video are fine for me.

Almost all of the above components/options can be changed (within limits to fit the IFL90 specs) and that seems like a pretty good price to me, and I think you're going to have to push higher than £450 to get anything close to the specs you want.

On top of that, everyone I spoke to at Rizeon via email or their IM-like live sales chat was exceedingly courteous and friendly.
    They struck me as a bunch of guys putting custom laptops together professionally but without forcing their sales pitches down your throat.

They kept me updated on the process and they shipped my laptop on Friday by Express airpost over the weekend from UK to Ireland.
    According to DHL my laptop is in Dublin right now and will be delivered to me tomorrow morning.

Impressed much? Me? Yep.

The 8600M GT 512Mb is roughly equivalent to a desktop gpu in the range of 7600GT to a 7800GT, so it should be able to handle HL2 reasonably well.
    I might even get Crysis running on it at low settings. :p

If you're interested, I'll let you know how the laptop performs when I get my hands on it.

4. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Have to agree on the money front. I'd say unless you want the CPU to be doing nearly all of the graphics work in HL2, you're going to be wanting to spend in the 600-700 region.

5. atanum141

HL2 ive seen can run even on the most basic of gfx systems, even the integrated stuffs can handle that game.

Ive no need for cutting edge 8600 series of cards. Maybe a nice 7300 would suffice.

6. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I got my laptop and couldn't be happier with it!

The 8600M GT512 runs Crysis better than my desktop system with SLI 7900GTs :hehe:

(That's down to running in a lower res on the laptop's smaller screen, but I run it on the 8600M GT with most settings on high, while I use most settings on medium with the 7900GT!)

Everything else about the laptop is perfect.
    Exceptional build-quality, no bloatware whatsoever, performance far beyond my expectations.

Squee!

7. atanum141

Nice to hear it but the only games im interested to play on my lappy is HL2 on basic rez with minimal AA/AF, Having a look at a £399 Acer and the specs are quite good, tho its missing 1 gig of ram but thats not a huge issue. It comes with Intel GMA x3100 which is:

It looks like it can play HL2 and other similar gen games at decent fram rates, added bonus is that it accelerates HD content. And its the same Gfx chipset on the Macbook line.

Im still looking tho.

8. Dayains

Dayains Notamodder