1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uni students + halls + fire alarms

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 9 Dec 2004.

1. RTT

RTT #parp

Does anyone else staying in halls experience a fire alarm nearly every other day? I've been standing outside freezing my testicles off twice today already :miffed:

2. Cheryl

Cheryl What's a Dremel?

ah remember it well -we used to have the alarms go off at like 3 in the morning -wasnt funny

Mind you we did actually have a real fire-one of the people in my block set fire to the cooker at 2 in the morning !

Last edited: 10 Dec 2004
  3. Aa-chan

Aa-chan AA-CHAN

We have firemen coming round and talking to us about safety and minimising the calls they get due to accidents. About 20 seconds in, they got called away...to the block next door :hehe: . Turned out to be another hairdryer.

I know what you mean though, not fun, especially in Glasgow :waah: .

4. Spiral Architect

Spiral Architect Cooked on Phonics

My sister always complains about that. She was saying one girl burn't her toast at 4am and the whole block was evacuated.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yup, unfortunatly stupid noobie kids who've never been away from home and have been wrapped up in cotton wool their whole life dont know how not to cause fires, or set the alarms off.

6. CyberSol

CyberSol 1337 Pants

my gf has that problem at albertsons college (idaho)all the time, shes leaving there anyway, horrible school, terrible town (gang wars between caldwell and nampa over 300 gang related shootings since july)
    happend twice in one night when it was raining hard, the fire alarms went off.

7. jonesie

jonesie Minimodder

ok, we live in the pokey servant quarters of a posh apartment building off hyde park in London. We have a porter but intermitent water supply and no kitchen window. the second point is the important one.

last week, toast got jammed in toaster, stupid thing didn't cut out, and set off flat battery alarm (we're talking serious haze here). but hey, it was lunchtime and everyone was up.

mid-week - the landlord sneaks an engineer in at an unsociable hour of the morning (10:24 :p) and installs mains alarms to the building and the fire station.

monday 0100 - flat-mate boils a stew-pot dry - a bit smoky - sets the über-sensitive new alarm off.

now let me put things into perspective. the posh nobs downstairs are all bankers and the like, go to bed at 2230 and get up at 0630.

and the alarms were flashing "fire in student flats!!"

suffice to say the walk down six flights of stairs past all those irate people was NOT fun...

moral af the story - fire kills your social life :)

8. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

we dont get that many, problalbly like 6 this semester, only 3 where i was here :)

the worst was when i was meant to be in a lecture, it went off so we stood outside for 20 mins, then when we got back in it went off again, and we had to spend another 1 outside.

9. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Yes it's all part of the uni experince, cheerish these great memories for one day you will wish you could relive them.

Nah joking it's the crap. I hates it. It's always caused by the same morons as well.

10. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

did you lose one each time or both the first time and manage to reattach them? :D

11. ST8

ST8 What's a Dremel?

happened all the time in halls. :(

/me strokes house

12. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

yeh, its v. anoying.... infact there it goes (no joke)

13. CyberSol

CyberSol 1337 Pants

seriousuly? thats funny.

tell us what happend

14. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

The question is, did it start halfway through his post, or did he rush to this page and rattle off a reply?

- H.

15. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

In a year in halls at Bristol, we had maybe two or three alarms other than the drill every monday morning at 11am (cut into my sleep time, grr) - and we never bothered to evacuate for them anyway. Were we just unconceivably lucky?

16. dom_

dom_ --->

had one drill in a year,
    and 3-4 alarms...
    one was my fault :s

you get a pre alarm for smoke only, where security come and knock on your door. main alarm is from smoke and heat, and sets the proper alarm off.

me and mate in other persons room while he was asleep breathed smoke into his fire alarm to get secuirty up to wake him :D

except the ciggie smoke was hot (dohhh) and set the full alarm off. It was 1am.

although seeing as it wasnt our room we didnt get told off or blamed by the rest of the building :hehe:

17. Dodge

Dodge What's a Dremel?

yer at my uni they had like 9 in one week (various blocks) they charge for the glass you smash thou.. and my friends flat had a real fire and they got to pay for the smashed galss. the oven door handle melted and caught fire.... being a oven door i would have thouhgt it would have been fire proof.

18. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

this didn't happen in a uni but i did once set off a fire alarm with a humble pot noodle.

19. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Fire alarms are great. Two corridors backed onto eachother seperated by a fire door in Cambridge Halls for Man Met. Only time the door was open was during an alarm, and we'd cover the lock so it wouldn't close again and could play footy the length of two corridors then instead of one.

Unfortunately, we never managed to widen the pitch. I still twitch at teh thought of kicked door frames. :waah:

20. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

yeh, it went off right in the middle of my post, dunno what caused it as i just went staight to my m8s room to keep warm and get drunk