1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uni's Rack Farm [updated thread structure 2 accomodate new 20K character post limit]

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Unicorn, 9 May 2009.

1. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Sneak them into the factory :D

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Output the heat through a turbine that generates power for the farm.
    Simple in theory

3. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Case update. (pics to come later as I'm at work)

The case has arrived & is nice & short, it also looks like it might just have enough space for 4 double slot coolers with some mods.

The bad part is it's so short I'm going to need to modify the HDD bays etc to fit the cards in as there's not enough depth for the coolers, the hdd bays also look quite structural.

Should be fun later.

4. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Sounds interesting, they did look short in the pics but the harddrive can go in the 5 1/4 bay anyway :D

Look forward to the pics and I might be up for buying and butchering some of these :dremel:

5. saspro

saspro IT monkey

The 5.25" bay will have a vfd in it displaying temps etc

I think it will work fine, just a little more work than I planned.
    The other good news is that they're screwed together so easy to strip apart & they're so short you might be able to get 2 back to back in a standard rack (providing the rack has an ac outlet at the top)

6. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I may consider these then if you can get it to work out. There's not a lot I can't do to a case modding wise to make stuff fit. Looking forward to the pics Saspro. Feel free to post them in here if you wish.

Some good news on the subject of my farm build. I have found a source for the aircon equipment that is going to cool the farm in the garage. I have been working for an industrial air conditioning company this week and they either have or are able to supply everything that I need to duct cool air into the farm and vent hot air out of the garage. For the summer time I am also going to get them to price up a medium sized air conditioner which will be ducted outside as well. None of this will be happening until I move back into that house in ~Spetember, but it's great to have found a good source for the components and equipment. Here's what I think I will need:

- Various lengths and angles of metal ducting (Round or rectangular, doesn't really matter)
    - 2x Industrial cooling fans (have to see what exact sizes there are but from what I've seen in the store there should be one small enough to not stand out on the outer wall but large enough to move a lot of air)
    - 2x exterior fan mounts with filters
    - Variable fan control unit, at least two gang
    - Medium sized and powered air conditioning unit with ducting to exterior of building

Think that's about it for now ;) I'll speak to someone in the office next week about getting that all measured for and priced up, and let you know how it goes.

7. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Haven't had a chance for pics yet.
    Just bought a new dremel in preperation though.

Initial thoughts look like with an extra pci slot cut (there appears to be 10mm of room) and some of the hdd cage removed (just screws) it should fit.

Got to undo quite a few screws

8. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Pics of the case (pre modding) are here, they're not in any order but show it being stripped down.

I reckon with a bit of modding I can also get 2x 120mm fans at the front

9. coolamasta

Nice one on the pics, seems like there could be good modding potential there, fans at the front would need to be a deffo though unless you put 2 x 80mm Delta's in the back to pull through lots of air but that would be very noisy!

Will wait until you get the dremel out sas and get a rig built in there before I make my mind up on buying a few, deffo good for the money though and I dont mind a bit of cut n shut for a good result :D

What rigs you putting into them sas? K9A2 and 4 x 8800/9800GT's?

10. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Yup, K9A2 & 4x 8800GT's

THe Dremel is on charge & I'm off work from friday to tuesday so need to get it done quickly (as I have to take a rig down to fit it)

11. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Got some pics here.
    Not enough space for 4x dual height cards & those bloody akasa coolers wont let me put 4 cards in (got some for sale if anybody needs any).

Had to velcro the HDD in but works well.

Just need to get the lcd in the front to work

12. coolamasta

Looking good sas, do the front fans suck in enough air do you think? Shame the Akasa coolers wont all fit in though :(

Might get one to butcher and see how it goes, if the case bolts together and is still sturdy without the front part that holds the drives I would be happy :)

13. broadcaststorm

broadcaststorm Folding for 35947!

Looks good saspro.
    What software are you using to display temps on the MFD screen?

14. saspro

saspro IT monkey

The case is nice and strong as the top support is still in place.

Temps have dropped (now getting less than 65 degrees on most projects).

I'm using LCDsmartie, speedfan & the speedfan pluging for temp monitoring.

LCD now working & looking sweet.

Time to order some more cases, get the vfds imported from the states & have found a supplier who sells com port headers that are long enough.

Must order my 24u rack as well (or maybe 2 or them), the machine is so short it'll fit in a cheap audio rack.

15. saspro

saspro IT monkey

16. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

I have the first caxse you linkd the "cheapy"
    its a good case and would recomend it.

17. saspro

saspro IT monkey

The first case looks good but I like the bigger fan on the 2nd one.
    They're both cheaper than the short one's I'm using as come with fans as well

18. coolamasta

I bought one of those Codegen cases yesterday from eBuyer sas, going to fit 3 x GTX260's inside :D

Let me know if you want any pics of it like you did for the other 4u jobber....

19. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Pics are always good.

Got another 2 of the xcase 4u jobs arriving tomorrow for modification & installation.
    Ordered the vfds from the states & got new PSU's for the farms as both the farms with 600w ones in seem to have a random failing card.
    Still need to get a rack though, might have to wait a week or two

20. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Placeholder for an interesting story about the A/C for my farm.

Nice job with your case so far Saspro, sorry I haven't been around lately to reply to posts in this, full story on why I have been absent at the top of the folding forum ;) Look out for the story on that Air Con unit tomorrow - I don't have the time or the energy to write it tonight :p