1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Unlocking 550BE on 990FX..?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by st1x, 12 Oct 2011.

1. st1x

st1x Surviving on low specs since '86

just put my new gubbins together and i was wondering if anyone had any experience in doing this.
    I've upgraded my bios to the latest on my Sabretooth 990FX and have found the bios option which says unlock but when i enable it my pc resets and the fans kick in for bout 5 seconds and then it turns itself off.
    Quick cmos reset sorts it no problems but im curious to start fiddling with voltages after a nasty (and ultimately expensive) melting incident a few years back.
    Does it sound in this scenario that i need to up the voltage before i enable the extra cores, am i doing something wrong and missing something out elsewhere or am i one of the unlucky ones that cant up my 550BE.
    As allways any thoughts or comments are most welcome.

Nic

2. jakobfrimmel

jakobfrimmel What's a Dremel?

IVe never unlocked a CPU but i imagin that an increase in voltage should make it more stable as it would give extra umph to the extra cores.... if ur afraid of upping the volts then just increase them by a tiny amount and each time checking tempretures (using Prime95)....
    may i ask what cooler you have?

3. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

you need some voltages mate. these little chips love voltage used to get mine up to 1.6v when benching. put 1.45v through it if it doesnt unlock at that i am afraid it never will

4. sourdough

sourdough Minimodder

I got 3 cores out of my 555BE in my sig. using default voltage. When I try 4 cores it wouldn't boot into windows. There might be a jumper on your MB but the Asus one was set to ON by default so I didn't need to change it.

5. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Same deal here, mine will unlock to 4 cores but will randomly crash or freeze up- the 4th core is a bit flaky so I had to go into the bios and manually disable the 4th core. In the OP's case, don't bother with the 'unlock' switch on the mobo, just go into the bios and enable the 3rd core, see how that does & raise voltages if needed to get it to boot. Try again for the 4th core & see how you get on.