1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Upbeat music?

Discussion in 'General' started by specofdust, 21 Nov 2007.

1. specofdust

specofdust Banned

So I was listening to my Ipod today, which just has my songs that are rated as not being rubbish, and I was realising that almost all of them are either quite hardcore electronic music, heavy metal, or fairly sad and slow.

I need more upbeat tunes. Do we have any reccomendations? I know as geeks we all tend to be heavily into nasty electronica or heavy metal, but a few people here must be into just upbeat rock instrument based music.

I was listening to the Yeah Yeah Yeah's and they're a little more in the direction I'm wanting, although they're not quite as happy and a little too angry I reckon. I guess it doesn't even have to be happy, so long as the tunes themselves aren't really downbeat and are mood-improving in some way.

Given that massively vague and broad request, let loose upon me :D

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Try looking through the top100 album charts for something that's not pop, generally these days it ends up being indie/rock in quite a cheery fashion.

I know what you mean by this thread though, I had a problem like this a while ago, so got a few albums of a more relaxed nature and now a random playlist is a much more pleasing prospect. :)

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

It's not so much relaxed I need, it's stuff that isn't going to make me want to curl up and sleep when it's 11am and I have 5 more hours in the library learning chemical nomenclature, stuff that'll raise my mood a bit.

I will check out the charts, although I think perhaps the stuff in there that's half-good might be a little too grr, serious indie be here. Cheers

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I know what you mean, I think it's just a case of sticking a 'net radio on with a band of the type you already know what you like and end up with similar stuff...

5. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I'm listening to the new The Weakerthans stuff at the moment which is pretty good. I particularly suggest Civil Twilight, Sun in an empty room, Relative Surplus Value and Reunion Tour. I love the first two.

The Weakerthans as a genre are kind of pop-rock-folk. There songs range from slow, peaceful and slow (These Are My Favourite Chords) to poetry (Hospital Vespers) and proper rock (Civil Twilight). I highly reccommend them.

Bluetones are quite good too. More poppy.

6. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Just flipped through my iTunes library looking for upbeat music: CSS, Paramore, Enter Shikari, Turbonegro, NERD, Beirut, Tom Petty, Saul Williams, Dragonforce, SHITDISCO, Ween, The Shins, Jean Michel Jarre, Roxy Music, Michael Jackson, Cobra Starship - all stuff I'd call upbeat and fairly lively. Fairly wide spread of styles there too.

7. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Not a bad list there mook. I've got CSS and I should have thought of them in this case, can't say I'd put NERD in this catagory, nor JMJ - but the rest all seems to be fairly upbeat stuff. Cheers.

edit: Just made a big pandora list with the bulk of the reccomendations in this thread, coudln't bring myself to add Michael Jackson, but I digress... The Weakerthans came on first, and they do seem to be pretty upbeat which I like. Perhaps a little on the slowside (Psalm for the Elks is, at least)

8. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Sonic the Hedgehog music? It's like caffine in sound form.

9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Nah, I've got enough blippety beepity electronic music. I can't say it ever raises my mood at all. This stuff I'm getting from pandora with most of the above suggestions added in is pretty good, perhaps a little too mainstream for my liking, a bit homogenous. I tend to like music that has random elements infused in it. Definitely starting to improve the overall mood though :D

10. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I suggest Girls Aloud.

11. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Thanks, but I've already got 9 tracks by them in my music collection (honestly, I do, it's a big collection and I have lots of Now That's What I Call Music.... albums)

edit: I'm really digging the Weakerthans. Still want more suggestions though, the more I can add to pandora that's along the lines I've suggest the more I can explore the region, and find exactly what I'm after. Keep 'em coming folks :D

12. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

13. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I must admit that I had to think twice before ripping Jacko for iTunes. But the Thriller album is just plain 100% awesomeness. I cherish the memory of Jacko when he was still black, a bit disco, and pre-Home Alone.

Respect for Girls Aloud. That new single is proper banging.

14. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

They range massively. Psalm is quite slow and some of their stuff is just spoken, but there's a good deal of faster stuff in there too. Keep an eye out for This Is A Fire Door Never Leave Open and Aside.

Man, the weakerthans are an awesome band. Every time I hear them it brings back a flood of wonderful memories from my life, all of which make me laugh.

15. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

One more.

Get on iTunes music store and download 'Popcorn' by Hot Butter. You'll recognise when you here it, and I defy you not to be dancing round the room when it starts.

16. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Halo Friendlies, Gym Class Heroes, Wheezer....

17. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/mashup/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/annienightingale/

Check those radio shows out, there's some really good stuff. The mashup is fairly varied and Nightingale's show is composed of seriously awesome breaks.

Obviously you can't play those on your mp3 player (if you can... tell me how!) but they have the tracklistings so you can just look up similar artists really easy on last.fm or what have you.

18. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Run Audacity whilst they're streaming.

19. ElZog

ElZog Defeater of Satan's Transformo Sofa

The Aquabats, the Cat Empire, the Flaming Lips, stuff like that maybe?

20. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

Damn, beaten to nominating the Cat Empire. That band has brought me out of a depressed period on more than one occassion, just a real zest for life in the music, plus being funny and nicely quirky.

Pandora have them.

Tags: