1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage USB Device shows as a RAW partition

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mattyh1995, 17 Mar 2013.

1. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

As shown here;
    [​IMG]

I had a bootable copy of Win7 on the drive and when I tried to remove it the format completed then the drive just became inaccessible.. Windows only detects it once in every 5 plug ins and even then it says I need to format the drive, which won't complete.

I've tried google which pretty much said create a new simple volume and format that but all option associated with creating volumes are greyed out.

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I would try it in diskpart. If it doesn't work that way it's probably no longer useable.

mattyh1995 likes this.
  3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

sounds like a dead USB key to me.

4. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

Didnt work, its dead. God damn -.- Only had the thing a month... Thanks anyway

5. GoodBytes

By the way, what was your make of your USB flash drive. I had one I got that didn't last a month as well. It was a Kingston. I open it up, and OH MAN to chhhheeeaaaaaaaaaaaaap.
    The board looked like dollar shop PCB from toys. And they glued that things to the max. Glue everywhere. They even used 2 type of glue, and you can could see that the glue was so hot when they put it, that it soldered a component. When i opened it up, I small chip came out with the glue. And it was a fairly expensive USB 3.0 drive too.. I mean for a USB drive.

I got a Corsair Voyager GT now USB 3.0, and I did open it up, to see (was really easy too), and man high quality all the way, even has thermal pad to help spread the heat of the chips. Not CPU high glass thermal pads, but at least it's something.

6. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

It was a Kingston DT Rubber USB 3 Drive. I'm noticing a connection...

I think I'll buy a different brand next time and thank some higher powers that I hadn't transferred all my college coursework onto it yet.

UPDATE: I peeled all the rubber off rather carefully and got a little curious so I plugged it in, the drive formatted o.o

Update 2: I replugged and the same old story happened, god damn false hope -.-

Last edited: 18 Mar 2013
  7. GoodBytes

Ha! That's exactly the one I had:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My voyager GT:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You can't see the thermal pad used as it's the sticky kind, and I don't want to break a perfectly working USB flash drive. But you can see no 60 tone of glue, like if USB flash drive is a top secret thing, and Kingston can't let anyone know how it works. :rolleyes:

Last edited: 18 Mar 2013
  8. GoodBytes

It's probably one of the components that is loose under the thick glue as it got desoldered.

mattyh1995 likes this.
  9. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

I think the next drive I get will be a Voyager GT then haha, cheers for the help and advice :)