1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Used laptop with HDMI-in port to use as display for other devices

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Porkins' Wingman, 19 Apr 2017.

1. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I'm beginning to get the itching for a laptop that I can use for connecting my Elgato capture card to, as well as general photoshopping, video editing type stuff. I have a little netbook HP Pavilion thing, but the screen is too small and the specs too low for capture card stuff etc.

So I'm looking at the used/refurb market, but I'd particularly be interested in models with an HDMI-in port, primarily for hooking up my consoles to.

Anyone know of any laptop models that feature HDMI-in? I've read that maybe some Alienware 17/18" models did, but they seem few and far between, and expensive.

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

It's not a common thing at all, which is a shame. I'd be interested to know as well, but only to satisfy my curiosity. :)

3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

HDMI-in on a laptop is the sort of niche but neat multifunctional idea that I'd like, so by extension I'm fairly sure doesn't exist except in a very marginal way that is a pain in the arse to obtain :)

I guess the plan would be to have a nice simple lag free direct input from the Elgato HDMI pass-through so most devices that would enable video input would be out.

My thoughts for an alternative be around a portable 2nd USB powered portable monitor with HDMI-in. Something which is again fairly niche but available as I recall.

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I've seen AIOs with HDMI or similar-in, but no laptops come to mind that have it.

Mister_tad was getting shot of a HP aio which iirc had HDMI or DP-in on the marketplace...

5. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

My Dell E6320 has a mini HDMI port, and the HP G62 I had before It had a HDMI port too.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

As an input, or an output?

7. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Oh an input I mis-read the thread oops. That will teach me not to read anything before drinking coffee of a morning !

8. Porkins' Wingman

Thanks for the input everyone.

AIOs.... never looked at those before. Could be worth considering. What's their overall reputation like, in terms of durability, heat management etc.? Gotta try to find out which models came with HDMI-in I guess, which isn't easy, as it's not a feature that gets shouted about it seems, and searching "HDMI-in" tends to throw up anything with HDMI in it. I'll see if I can dig out that Mister_tad thread. Thanks.

9. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

It was an HP Z1, and I bought it. It's got a DisplayPort input - but I don't know if many other manufacturers do it :(

10. Porkins' Wingman

Yeh, just found the thread before coming back here, but thanks, jinq-sea. I'd love one of those, but for what I really want to use it for primarily, they're just too big/heavy/lacking in portability.

I've found some 1080p portable monitors, but then I'd need a separate micro PC that was powerful enough to do the above. Come on, laptop manufacturers, this just makes sense doesn't it - why buy a portable monitor IF you could buy a laptop that acted as a monitor.....

11. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

If you were really willing to get your hands dirty you can get driver boards that convert compatible bare laptop displays into an external monitor with HDMI input: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...1313&_nkw=lcd driver controller hdmi&_sacat=0

It occurs to me that if you could somehow install a 2 way switch between the LVDS Connector on the laptop's display and the laptop itself you cooooouuuld potentially switch between input from the HDMI board and the Laptop LCD driver :worried: :dremel: