1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retro UT99 on Win 7?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by knuck, 7 Aug 2009.

1. knuck

knuck Hate your face

okay I know, the game is freakin' old, but it's still a great classic and I like to have the option to play it again once in a while.

It doesn't seem to work on windows 7 however (even after reinstall).

Has anyone had luck with it ? Or any Unreal Engine 1 game for that matter.. Hey I bet some of you have tried to play Deus Ex recently :D

thx

2. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Works fine on win 7 x64 without issue.

3. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I recently installed and played Unreal on Win7 x64 without many hitches - had to patch it to get the sound to work, and it refused to fullscreen, but it worked.
    I'll dig out UT99 and report back on my progress, been meaning to play it again :>

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Yeah, Deus Ex worked fine for me. Didn't even bother to patch it. A little fiddling to get it in 1920x1200, and all was gravy. :) Win 7 x64.

5. knuck

knuck Hate your face

damn I wonder why it's not working for me

I'll post the error I get later

I installed the game from two different sources, including a demo, and this is the error I got

[​IMG]

Last edited: 8 Aug 2009
  6. Paradigm Shifter

I'll dig out my UT99 CDs and see if I can replicate the issue myself.

7. knuck

knuck Hate your face

thanks

I have the original discs but when I found them they were under a friend's desk and I took them pretty much only for the old school factor because there is just no way in hell these discs will ever work again

8. Paradigm Shifter

Interesting...

UT99 Screenie

Pertinent info is in the screenshot - UT99 unpatched, Win 7 x64 b.7100, Run as Admin and with XP SP3 comp mode...

Interesting thing is... I can get it running unpatched... as soon as I install the updates to make it fully 'Game of the Year' and whatnot... it won't load any more.

Games quits fine, but leaves a 32-bit rundll32.exe hitting one core to the tune of 100%. I was watching one of my i7 cores and wondering why it was suddenly idling 8*C hotter than it had been: answer: it wasn't idle.

I did load a game and play for a few moments... made me remember why I got bored of UT...

edit: I was running it in D3D mode - the setup took was obviously fairly unhappy (Windows thought it had hung for a while) but I avoided installing DX7 when installing the game (for obvious reasons...)

Last edited: 9 Aug 2009
  9. knuck

knuck Hate your face

damn that's weird

I've been trying the same thing and it just doesn't work for me ... oh well, I guess i'll just keep my souvenirs of the game and let it go... :waah:

10. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Works for me, no errors at all. Are you playing from a disk?

11. knuck

knuck Hate your face

nop

12. Paradigm Shifter

I hate it when I can't replicate a problem someone else is having. Happened recently with something else (Doom 3) as well... chap on WSGF who couldn't get Doom 3 working in anything other than 640x480... I must have tried everything to replicate that issue...

I mentioned this in the Win 7 beta thread... d'you think your install of Win 7 could be 'bad' in a particular file that those games are acccessing? (I don't see why they would access something that other games don't, but this is odd...)

13. knuck

knuck Hate your face

well since you're putting so much efforts into this, I owe you to try to update my drivers :)

brb

edit: nope, no difference :(

Last edited: 9 Aug 2009
  14. Paradigm Shifter

I tried a bit more to replicate your error message. Closest I (think I) get is if I turn UAC up to maximum... UT99 starts to load, flickers, flashes an error that lasts for about a tenth of a second (far to fast for me to read it) then dumps me back to the Windows desktop.

I got my cousins to try it out as well as they're running an AMD chip with an nVidia GPU (7900GTO, though...) works fine for them. :(

15. warlock

warlock What's a Dremel?

16. robd0ggie

robd0ggie What's a Dremel?

1inch black space on left and right

boiled_elephant

I recently installed and played Unreal on Win7 x64 without many hitches - had to patch it to get the sound to work, and it refused to fullscreen, but it worked.
    I'll dig out UT99 and report back on my progress, been meaning to play it again :>

i have the fullscreen problem too. when it goes into fullscreen, i get 1inch black space on the left and right of the screen. i was wondering if you know, or anynow know how to fix this. i tried reinstalling, fixing my resolutions, and messing with user.ini. i cant find nothing.

17. knuck

knuck Hate your face

the game ended up working in open GL ... at least until i tried to join a server

meh , I guess the old UT days really are over :(

18. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Reinstalling now. I'll report back when I have more to say.

I'm using the RC still, though, so not sure how comparable our experiences will be.

edit - yeah, it works fine. Direct 3D, 1440*900, maximizes properly, 32-bit colour depth. Note that I use the GOTY edition and install the bonus disc (a.k.a. Bot Pack 1, I believe) which is also, by its nature, a hefty patch. If you're using the non-GOTY edition that might explain it. And, of course, the usual rigmarole of video card drivers is worth suggesting if you haven't already checked all that.

Oh, I didn't install it to the default directory, either - I put it in Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament.

Aside for those playing it: if you get those white lighting boxes below dynamic models (e.g. players, impact markings) change your colour depth.

EDIT^2: Oh, rob, you were on about Unreal! The above refers to UT99, not Unreal.
    Hm. Brb again then, installing Unreal :p

Last edited: 20 Nov 2009
  19. knuck

knuck Hate your face

:D

20. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

Meh. Quake 3 was better anyway :p