1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve to punish TF2 cheaters, reward others

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Sep 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. robyholmes

robyholmes I'm under your desk...

Got it late last night, works on every class. The people that didn't cheat also get higher chance of getting more hats now too, but weather you need to wear the halo I don't no. I think valve did the right thing here.

3. BenK

BenK Minimodder

HealersAgainstHalos. Inspired :D

4. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

I want a halo, it will look spiffy on a spy as he backstabs you and then looks all innocent with it above his head.

I'm pretty sure using any automated software in any Valve game is a violation of the EULA so I'm glad Valve have come down heavy on the cheaters and all those QQing in the HAH group dont have a leg to stand on.

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I've still to get a hat, poor me, though i hadn't even heard of the cheat to get them till now.

Some people will get upset at any thing, for proof go hang round the steam forums.

6. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

I would be happy with at least 1 hat drop at some point, I've played it loads and got nowt ...

7. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

"until Valve issues an apology to cheaters"

WTF?

8. TomD22

TomD22 What's a Dremel?

"Cheaters" is pushing it a bit far.

Valve introduced some new items (hats) which drop randomly while you are playing and are incredibly rare (like, so incredibly rare you need to play the game on average for about 200-300 hours per hat drop).

So what a lot of players who rather wanted some hats figured was, if you get hats randomly then you can increase your chances to a slightly more reasonable level (i.e. you're likely to get a hat after a couple of weeks, rather than months) if you just hop on a server, minimise TF2, and 'idle' there while you get on with other stuff (when you don't actually want to play, obviously).

Then one guy took the obviuos next step and wrote a small program that would connect you to servers where you could idle without actually having to have the full game running and sucking up power/resources on your PC.

Tens of thousands of people used it, for several months, and Valve didn't say a word so everyone pretty much assumed they were OK with it. After all, a lot of players were annoyed at the way you get items (hats), since the random drop rate is so low and doesn't really reward skill or playtime as the class you want the hat for or anything like that, and this was one simple solution for them.

And then suddenly, out of the blue, they turn round all call all of those players 'cheaters' and delete every item they've gotten. Bit extreme really ^^

And it seems a sort of backwards response. I mean, so Valve created an item system that a large proportion of customers dislike so much that they're willing to go to some effort to circumvent it. But rather than taking that as a sign that the item system needs to change, they arbitarily and without warning punish all those players and tell them they've been cheating. It's just not a great way to relate to your players/customers.

Oh well, /essay. I just thought bittech jumping on the 'omfg CHEATERS' idea was a bit of a shame :p

9. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

TomD22 that was a good piece you wrote!

10. NickCPC

NickCPC Minimodder

I am made livid by these developments. There was NO official stance on the use of idling programs by Valve previous to this update last night. The point is all the idler program did was to act as a server overnight while you were sleeping or out at work, and you might come back and find you had a hat. It didn't circumvent the drop system at all - it didn't give you any extra chance of attaining a hat, merely simulated you spectating on a random server. It was NO different to setting up a local server on your PC and joining spec on there. I am furious with Valve for this, I mean they gave no prior warnings about no using an idler program and then suddenly their stance changes with brutal force.

If Valve had set up a decent drop system then there would have been no need anyway for an idler program - the community responded to a problem with Valve's implementation. Furthermore, if you look at it from an economic point of view it is more taxing on your system to run a server and idle on it, than it was to simply run the idle program. Several people I know who used to run the idle program now are basically specing on local servers and operating that way. Also, I think there were more people who simply didn't know about the idler program - if they had done I reckon they would have used it! So people who are being pompous and wearing their hats with "dignity" deserve to not be healed, I certainly won't be helping them. In fact, if I'm determined to pick on people on the opposing team wearing the halos.

As has been mentioned on the steam forums - it's like driving along a road with no speed limit, then a speed limit being imposed and ticketing everyone who previously had sped over the new limit. It's disgusting and anyone who looks at the situation objectively (i.e. it didn't circumvent the drop system at all, and players who were basically helping to point out to Valve that the drop system was crap) are now being punished. I almost feel like throwing in the proverbial hat and returning the game and asking for a refund if this is how the community is being treated.

11. Psy-UK

Psy-UK What's a Dremel?

Cheating? It was hardly any different then idling in a server other than the fact that you didn't have to run the actual game. The droprate remained the same so non-idlers and idlers had the exact same chance of getting items.

12. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

I agree with TomD22 and NickCPC, it's a very poorly implemented policy and punishment. Also, consider that even though of the total owners of the orange box only 4.5% used the idle server, of regular players (i.e. once a week) it is closer to 1 in 3. Many saw it much like how you can get customisable skins or whatever. Doesn't improve in game performance at all, just makes it a bit more efficient.

Ultimately though the real failing is the random drop system, it has drawn heavy criticism because there is this awesome content (hats) that people want, but it's unlikely they will ever get. That's why the idle server came about. The owner of the idle server even said publicly many times if Valve want him to stop he will, but Valve never once issued a formal statement saying it's bad or it's good.

The fallout now though is the community is divided and the atmosphere in games is a bit icy. I hope this will blow over soon, but there are servers banning you if you have / don't have a halo, medics healing if you have / don't have a halo, all sorts. Valve really should be focusing on nurturing the community, not antagonising it and creating rifts and arguments.

13. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

That's exactly the dishonest kind of thing a cheater would do. Taking a Steam game back to the store after you've already used it? That's practically scamming the store, as that copy of the game is now tied to your Steam account.

14. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Punishing those who did it prior to the warning is wrong, punishing those who do it since the announcement is fine.

More hats please!

15. ElZog

ElZog Defeater of Satan's Transformo Sofa

I think the halos are great, they make very nice headshot targets for snipers. Also, since I didn't use the idle program and only play infrequently, until today I had received zero hats so getting one that goes on all classes is a pleasant surprise.

Getting to read people all over the internet up in arms and wailing about purely cosmetic items is just icing on the cake.

16. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

TomD22 - I'm pretty sure the idea that 3rd party hat grinding tools were cheats came directly from Valve, so to say Bit Tech were jumping on the bandwagon sounds slightly ... unfair? They are merely telling the story.

I think its also fair to say we all agree in a multiplayer environment the playing field should be equal amongst all that take part?

17. NickCPC

NickCPC Minimodder

I said "I almost feel like" - I didn't say I will do it. The point was that I am deeply unhappy with how I've been labelled a "cheater" for an action which is far from using an aimbot or speed or wallhack. If you are implying that idling is equivalent to those actions you shouldn't be gaming. Besides, I've bought a product and basically I'm unhappy with it, you go to any other service industry and you'll get a refund, why shouldn't you be allowed to complain with games!?

18. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Win.

19. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Is it OK for me to sign up to a marathon (which are usually performed for self-gratification by the general populace), and then get someone else to run it for me because I need to sleep?

20. damienVC

damienVC What's a Dremel?

Where did the pic of Buddy Christ, armed to the teeth, come from?? That's brilliant - I've got a pic of him as my avatar on FB, but he looks so much better tooled up! Are there any more?

That would be some reward on TF2 - being able to play as the Son of God. Ezekiel 25:17 springs to mind.....

Tags: Add Tags