1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Vista 64 & 8800GTS problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theevilelephant, 6 Aug 2008.

1. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

A couple of months ago i posted that i couldnt get my 8800gts (640Mb) card to work with vista 64bit. Well i still can't and its annoying me as that pc is just a gaming pc so.....

looking to get a new graphics card at some point in the near future. Something that at least matches my 8800s performance but while actually working on vista 64......

Any recommendations/ experience to share? :)

Last edited: 7 Aug 2008
  2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Define "not working".

My geforce 6600GT128MB, 8800GT 512, 260GTX all work without ANY issues what so ever under Vista 64-bit.

If you have issues, then maybe something is corrupted in Vista.
    Download your motherboard driver from the chipset maker, and video card driver, put it on a disk. Re-install your system, and before you do anything, install these two drivers. Do not install any software or other drivers, and see if the video card works properly. If it does, then install one by one the rest of the drivers and software. If it stops working after, then you know it's not Vista, and it's something else that creates a conflict.

Also before doing the above, ensure that you have the latest BIOS version for your motherboard.

If you do not use Vista official disk (no backups, etc.. in the fear of having a damaged disk), please use it. If you don't have it ask a friend for it (any edition will work, all the disks are the same, its your product key that decides which edition to install).

3. theevilelephant

i've tried with a fresh install (original disk) installed mobo drivers. up to that point its all good. as soon as i install nvidia driver (and reboot) i get to the login screen, login then the monitor goes into power saving and wont come out, ive tried this with a few monitors same result...

4. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I guess you've tried downloading the latest drivers from the website(s)?

5. theevilelephant

i have indeed :) i have about 2 years worth of drivers on a usb stick... none of which work :(

6. GoodBytes

Maybe it's your display that doesn't support the system that your video card takes...
    Try a different display... even try to connect your computer to your TV and see if you get an image outputed

7. theevilelephant

ok i will try but why would the monitor work on xp but not on vista 64 using the exact same hardware

8. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I have an 8800GTS (512) at the moment, but prior, I had a 640. It ran fine, as have all other Nvidia cards I've tried on Vista x64 since November '06.

There could be a problem with your card, a problem with another component, or more likely, a clash with another driver or piece of software. It's hard to know what to recommend. You could try an ATI card in there if you wish, or perhaps rebuild the machine minus *any* other non-essential drivers. That is, remove chipset/sound card/web cam/etc drivers from the equation to see if your card/drivers work with a vanilla copy of Vista. If this works, you can add individual component back in, one at a time.

9. theevilelephant

i already have. its been tested with a fresh vista 64 install and only mobo drivers (and infact without mobo driver just incase).

I should say at this point my monitor is a Dell 207wfp

PC is: C2D 6400, 2Gb Geil Mem, Asus p5b deluxe, 250Gb Seagate HD,

10. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Well I can go one better then... I too have a P5B Deluxe with (some) GeIL RAM. Assuming you have the latest chipset drivers etc, you shouldn't have a problem.

You need to borrow (ideally) both an ATI card and a similar Nvidia card. And perhaps try your card on someone else's similar rig.

11. theevilelephant

aye i shall try and find another card somewhere :) is it worth updating the bios given that the board is fairly new?

12. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Yes... probably... by the time I got my board, the BIOS was 2 versions out of date. The current version is 1233, if you are not above 12xx, then I'd definitely upgrade. If you are, given that you have a problem, I'd still consider it.

PS don't use the windows based upgrade tool - it will likely bork your whole board. Boot via a floppy or flash disk and use AFUDOS utility to do the upgrade.

13. theevilelephant

rofl read that too late and used the windows based updater lol. It certainly attempted to do some board borking (it tried to auto oc my cpu to about 4Ghz, and also lost my ntldr) but nothing that couldnt be fixed with the help of my laptop :)

right im just about to format a drive and i will try a clean install later

My Plan
    Update Bios (to latest no beta version) - done
    Install Vista
    install latest chipset driver
    install latest nvidia driver

anyone see any problems there?

14. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Phew.... close shave.

No, you've already done the hardest part.

15. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

stupid question, but has to be asked, yoou ARE downloading the 64bit drivers and not the 32bit ones arent you?

16. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

does safe mode work? try disable aero theme.

what comes after the login screen: aero theme kicks on

17. theevilelephant

hehe yeh i thought i might have myself so i went and made sure.

i will find out (i seem to remember that safe mode did work)

sometimes the screen turned off before logon, sometimes during, sometimes about 10 seconds after

just finishing getting the data of the drive

edit: righty installing now
    edit2: does it matter that i am installing vista Buisness 64?
    edit3: vista installed now time to install chipset drivers then the dreaded nvidia driver (http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_175.19_whql.html)
    edit4: *sigh* installed driver and taadaaa after a reboot the monitor was forced into powersaving mode :( tried 2 different monitors so now im going to find another graphics card

18. theevilelephant

Right well with a 7300LE it works 100% even with aero (using the same drivers).... so any suggestions is the card broke? is the driver broke for that card on vista 64? any ideas would be muchos appreciated

parents arent to happy atm as i stole the gfx card from my mums pc and the monitor from my dads :p

19. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

It *could* be overheating - is the HSF still securely attached?

20. GoodBytes

if it overheats the computer would freeze. I have the Geforce GTX260, and it did overheat (forgot to attach the frontal case fan). All I got was a random color on my screen. And the shut-down computer button (you know when you press it quickly, it tells Windows to shut-down), didn't work, keyboard lights didn't chnage state as well when you press on the proper key.