1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Vista Error 80070424

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by jobe__, 16 Mar 2010.

1. jobe__

jobe__ What's a Dremel?

Everytime I try to do automatic updates it says it can't do it and comes up with the error code: 80070424.
    Also when i try to install downloaded files it will say the same thing such as itunes and open office.
    This is becoming increasingly annoying, does anyone have any ideas?

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Open the Start menu, type: cmd, on the search results, you will see "Command Prompt" or "cmd.exe". Right click on that item, and select Run as Administrator.

A DOS-like black window will open called Command Prompt. From there, type in the box: regsvr32 wuaueng.dll, and hit the ENTER key.
    Wait a few seconds, and you will be prompted with a success message, click OK, and restart your computer.

Your problem should be solved now.

3. jobe__

jobe__ What's a Dremel?

I tried this but it did not work.
    Comes up with the error that:
    "An error occured during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC80.CRT, version="8.0.50727.4053",type="win32",publickey token="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchitecture="x86". HRESULT : 0x80070424.

I am running 64bit if that makes any differece.

4. GoodBytes

Fascinating... :| Something got corrupted. If you recall when this problem first encounter, you can take your computer back in time to a certain point. You files in your profile folder will not be affected. But still do a backup, just in case. To do this, boot onto Vista disk, and click on repair windows, and click on "System restore to an earlier point in time" (or something along that line in the name or description)

Use CCleaner (Free), to clean the registry, and try the update again.
    If that doesn't work, open Program and Features panel in the Control Panel (to remove installed software). And Look for anything related to Visual C++ or C# or Studio. Once removed, run ccleaner to perform a registry cleaner, restart your computer, and try again.

What you can also try, is to uninstall, installed updates, like the last 3-5 ones (on Program and Features panel, click on "View installed updated").

BTW, do you have an anti-virus, and which one do you have. Sometimes an Anti-virus can have a bad update or simply is a bad one entirely, where it conflicts with an installation of an update and then the system becomes corrupted, it's rare, but it can happen. This is also why, for example, many driver setup says to turn off your anti-virus before continuing the installation (but no one does - 'cause you never know - and I dont' even recommend it, if someone hacked the website and put their own virus-installer that looks identical or if the file doesn't come from a trusted source), as in some rare cases, like your case, it can end up with a corruption.

Last edited: 16 Mar 2010
  5. jobe__

jobe__ What's a Dremel?

I uninstalled C++ programmes but it did not work.
    I am running avast as my anti-virus and Advanced SystemCare to clean up my computer.
    When I go to installed updates there is nothing there.
    So anything saved to my user will be fine if i system restore?

6. GoodBytes

Apparently, form my understanding of the help documentation. But I never tried it, hence why I recommend to do a backup.

It is impossible that your update list is empty... you probably ran some malware, or some crappy cleaning tool that deleted things it should not.

7. jobe__

jobe__ What's a Dremel?

I tried to do a system restore and it didn't go back far enough before the problem.
    I am thinking of getting windows 7 anyway which will get rid of the problem.

8. theskirrid

theskirrid What's a Dremel?

Installing Windows Installer 4.5 often fixes this.

If this doesn't work you can try the fixes in this thread.

Good luck.

thehippoz likes this.
  9. jobe__

jobe__ What's a Dremel?

Everytime i run the systemcare programme it comes up saying it has found 3 spyware which are "tracking cookie"'s and a "data miner" I don't know if there are significant.

10. nitrous9200

nitrous9200 What's a Dremel?

That system care program sounds a bit dodgy, I'd get rid of it if I were you.

11. GoodBytes

Hmm I agree.