1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vista Folder Layout Problems

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by NaNeil, 4 Sep 2008.

1. NaNeil

NaNeil What's a Dremel?

Hey everyone,
    Experiencing what I believe is quite a common problem in Vista, and one of the major annoyances I've found with it!

First off, if I go to control panel > administrative tools, the folder that is opened is believed by Windows to be music for some odd reason. Brings up all the album, artist, etc columns, although they are blank. Still usable, but a bit of a niggle.

If I manually navigate to the admin tools folder (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools) and right click, and press customize, and choose 'All', it goes back to normal when viewing the folder manually in explorer, but following the control panel shortcut it still thinks its music! (You cant go to customize from the control panel shortcut, hence I manually navigated)....

Similarly, when I open My Music, it insists on displaying the main folder with all of these columns, even after I choose 'list' (I have a lot of folders, and displaying 1 per line makes it ridiculous), it reverts to 'details' the next time I open it..

I know you can disable auto detection of folder type in the registry, but I don't really want to turn it off, I just want it to stop messing me around! Does anyone have any ideas?:confused:

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

If you would like to reset Windows Explorer folder type customization settings:

1- Click on the Start button, and in the Start Search field paste the following bold text command: REG DELETE "HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders" /f
    2- Press the Enter key to execute the command.

3. NaNeil

NaNeil What's a Dremel?

Will that just 'forget' what it's auto learned so far? I'll try it anyhow...

Don't suppose you know how to 'force' it to remember I don't want details view for 'My Music'?

Thanks!

Tags: