1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Vista-only game doesn't need Vista

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 25 Jun 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Not sure how that'll pan out, not sure if XP has the correct networking abilities to run XBL.

3. PaulM@Scan

PaulM@Scan Retail Sales Supervisor

Surely urging people to buy Vista by doing this won't be enough to temp people to buy this? would it not just lower their sales on the game?

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Heard the 360 version is better anyway, to make sure the 360 players don't get owned, they nerfed the PC controls apparently.

5. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

if games cost 30 billgates units of currency and vista 300:

1 million games sold = 30 million , 100k games sold and 100k vista sold = 33 million

and ofcourse once they have vista then can buy countless other 'vista only' titles...

6. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

They should have developed Xp and Vista versions at the same time.
    Idiots.

7. aggies11

aggies11 What's a Dremel?

P3n has it right. Shadowrun was chosen to be the martyr, sacrificing higher sales in order to help push Vista. Even if the game sells %10 of what it could have, but those 10% were Vista sales, Microsoft is happy.

The "Vista requirement" for Shadowrun and HaLo2 is artificial, much like copy protection. So those individuals who do, can remove it much like they do with copy protection.

Had the game actually used features of Vista not in XP (eg. DX10) then it would have been another story.

Microsoft added artificial restrictions based on marketing strategy, it's more important to get people using Vista, then it is to sell copies of a single game. And if they could sacrifice one to help the other, they definitely will.

Aggies

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Yup --the limitations are imposed by commercial, not technical factors.

I mean, you don't think Polygon Wars actually needs DX10 or Vista, do you?

9. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

And to think games perform better on XP too.
    There's a reason why people aren't switching.

H.B.

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yep, you're totally right, it's all in the name of marketing. :)

On a related topic, I think I'm going to make the switch to Vista tonight - I've been itching for a few months but I'm finally getting to the stage where I think drivers are just about usable in the long term.

11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Id never consider it becuase I'd have to do so many damn Driver upgrades ect.

Tim, are you going to go for Ultimate?

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

I'm heading for Home Premium :)

13. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Thats what I'll be buying at some point too, Ultimate's extras aren't worth the price tag at all IMO.

14. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

i plan to hold off as long as possible, what benefit does vista bring, higher overheads, dx10, a pointless fancy ui, and UAC

sod that, shove it MS

also i don't see what vista has that XP doesn't to run XBL, except the added overhead and the ability to move more copies of vista if XP doesn't support it

Hell i bet even DX10 doesn't really need vista, its just a good way to move copies of it

15. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I think Vista Upgrade version is the best...
    Just install Vista 2 times, sure its long but it would take just as much time as install XP or 2000. Also you can upgrade from Win2k to Vista. OR Just install Vista activate it, and image/ghost the drive.

I don't think DX10 can be taken out of Vista. I heard that it was linked or something with the core of the OS, to be able to give a nice (apparently) boost in performence.

Also there is no proof that the game is nice or running smoothly or have no issues under XP. Maybe this hacker just looked at the menu an saw it worked.

16. Havok154

Havok154 What's a Dremel?

I've had Ultimate on my desk for over 3 months now.(came free with an intel bundle I bought) I'm waiting for the time when I can upgrade and will actually use vista 80% of the time and not vice versa. I'll still be dual booting 32-bit XP but not sure yet whether I'll use 32 or 64-bit vista. All I can tell you is that these crappy games MS is trying to use as a forced upgrade won't make me install it any faster.

17. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Hehe, they did the same for Halo2 :)

Only problem is, Multiplayer can't work since it's the WindowsLive thing. Even LAN doesn't work. Oh well. Neither of those games I found to be any good anyways :)

18. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I laugh my socks off. Ah good old Razor1911. Its the oldest "movement" in the game underground business. Half of their core members is now in their sixties i guess hahaha

ps. i will only upgrade to a new vidcard and vista when Crysis arives. I hope by then the drivers will be mature also ;)

19. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

bit of an bump but this game are not DX 10 even (both will work on an Nvidia 6200+ video card)

right from therer forums as well (could be incorrect) http://forums.shadowrun.com/forums/thread/53910.aspx (look for)
    is the game DX10 as well or not (just DX9 only)? see around when looking users looking for DX10 cards for it when an ATI X1xxx card (when thay bothed to add SM3 to there cards) or an 6200

thay got to make an New disk that will alow install on XP as fist thing thay say when buying it Vista only it never sell or much (going to buy an £1000 computer so i can run a game)

Tags: Add Tags