1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Volunteering Abroad

Discussion in 'General' started by DeathAwaitsU, 26 Jun 2012.

1. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

Hi guys,

I am seriously looking at volunteering abroad and was wondering if anybody can offer advice, information and links for doing so. I don't really care what i do if it feels right. It needs to be as cheap as possible or free bar flights etc... If anybody can give me some help and advice it will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

No personal experience, but my sister and her husband did a bit of this last year in France and Spain and really enjoyed it.

3. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Depends what you're talking about.

Hell, a lot of places you'd actually get paid to go and help out (If you're talking about helping in the third-world?)

Alternatively, are you meaning working in an awesome wildlife sanctuary in Oz, or something similarly less beneficial?

Clarify what it is you want to do and we can help!

4. DeathAwaitsU

Id do anything really, only thing i want to avoid is any kind of teaching, i dont have the mindset/patience for that unfortunately. Besides that i dont mind what i do, where i end up or what im doing. Id volunteer on a conservation, sanctuary, refuge, community development, expedition or whatever is available. The only thing that will stop me is cost.

I have been looking at fundraising in kenya, a rural scheme in Malawi and a wildlife preserve in peru to name a few, any of which i am happy to do just to give a few examples of what ive been looking at

Last edited: 26 Jun 2012
  5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

You'll have to pay for the majority of that because it's what rich kids do before going to school and it's a terribly inefficient way of actually doing good in the world.

In general the only type of volunteering properly abroad which is free is teaching English. Other than that and you should expect to pay one to three thousand for about 4-6 weeks. Keep in mind that what you're buying there is a holiday where you'll feel good afterward and have some stories to chat up ladies with.

6. DeathAwaitsU

Those are the ones i am avoiding, i'm not after stories or a holiday and i am officially done with bitches, i mean women. im after experience and the chance to contribute, help or make a difference where it is needed

7. specofdust

specofdust Banned

The thing is, if you want to contribute the best thing you can do is get a minimum wage job and donate absolutely as much as you can. The other option is to actually try to get a job at an international aid agency, although unless you have some skill to bring then they probably won't want you. Essentially, the main issue for most aid work is a lack of money. Rich white kids/young adults who want to help out for 6 weeks building a well or whatever, as well intentioned as that is, are not an efficient use of money. That's why they make you pay thousands to do it, because otherwise those people would be a net drain on the whole effort.

Sorry to burst the bubble, but it's just the way things are. Unless you have any skills which can be directly applied in aid work then the only two things you have of value to aid agencies are money and a native grasp of English. They'll want one.

Oh and quick moderator note, could you please refrain from referring to women like that up above please, it's misogynistic and doesn't exactly do a great job in making women feel at home here.

Shirty likes this.
  8. DeathAwaitsU

I'll keep looking, there has to be something somewhere, it doesn't have to be free and nor do i expect it to be just not a ridiculous amount, a few places ask you to pay living expenses of some kind and i am fine with that, i in fact expect it, 25-50 a week for accommodation etc ok but 3k to volunteer at what is effectively a working holiday for 3 weeks is not what i'm looking for, id rather travel europe in a car which benefits no one, id like to help out in some way .

My views are not the views of this site, my opinions are my own and i am talking about the women i have been in relationships with, the ones that ruined my life, not women as a sex, i am not being misogynistic in anyway, just to clarify.

9. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

There's still a lot of aid required in Haiti following their dreadful earthquake in 2010 - I know of at least three people who have been heavily involved over the past few years, although it's definitely not for the faint hearted and is also relatively dangerous.

On the side note, referring to "bitches, i mean women" is sort of unavoidably misogynistic don't you think? It really tars all women with the same brush, whether that was your intended meaning or not.

10. specofdust

specofdust Banned

You may find something, but I do doubt it. What can you do that people already there can't do? Ask yourself that and come up with an honest answer. It'll save you a lot of effort.

I know you're talking about specific people, but someone using racist terminology could say they're talking about the specific black people who'd ruined their lives, not all of them. It's unacceptable regardless. Just to make sure it was clear, my polite request up there shouldn't be taken as a request, but as a polite warning.

11. Ljs

Ljs Modder

I looked into the same thing quite intensively several years ago and I'm afraid (unfortunately) that all of the above is true.

This is about the crux of the matter! It is such a shame to be to be honest.

I get the feeling you just want to get away for a bit, which is cool, I just would advise that this is pretty much a dead end and to maybe just plan a trip you might like.

There are of course places where you can work for your board and food, but I'm not quite sure how you would find them or even, a central scheme that control them all.

There are things like fruit picking and such in Australia (if you can stump up the cash for flights) which pay for you food, board and some spending money but these jobs are terribly tedious (I did cotton picking but only lasted 3 weeks before my sanity almost caved in). Another place I visited almost by accident offered light construction work at a surf school for food and board and free surfing, can't believe I actually turned it down).

Might be worth contacting people direct tbh, in a location you would like to go.

12. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

13. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

What about WWOOFING? I know one chap who decided to go long term cycle touring and is using WWOOF placements to help with his board and in return gaining experience.

14. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Youth in Action are pretty good to work with, I've done a couple of seasons with them in the past.
    They generally cover all the costs if you're working as part of a group, either travelling with a group or meeting up with one at the destination. They also do fully funded volunteering for individuals for some projects, but those ones aren't always available so you have to check with them if they have an 'Action 2' placement available.

When I worked with them, I managed to visit three counties with their projects (New Zealand, South Africa and India), all three times I went on the 'Action 2 European Voluntary Service'. They paid for travel, accommodation, food, insurance and also supplied me with a monthly allowance.

As far as I'm aware, Action 2 is for people aged 18-30 and Action 1 (the group volunteering) I think is for 16-25. The volunteering lasts somewhere between 6 to 21 days depending on what it is.

http://www.britishcouncil.org/youthinaction.htm

Possibly worth noting that I work full-time in the voluntary sector and was referred to them by my employer, so I may have had better standing with them to get fully funded work.

Another organisation that does some free volunteering is Original Volunteers:
    http://www.originalvolunteers.co.uk/how-to-apply-new/cost.html

Most of their stuff has fees, however they seem fairly reasonable and they offer a 100% refund if you change your mind.

Tags: