1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Vote for your Game of the Year

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 10 Dec 2008.

1. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

So if signing up for the newsletter is just for stopping false entries, why do you need to know how many people work in my company?

Kind of still struggling to see why the forum registration couldn't have worked as it requires as many hoops to jump through as the newsletter (other than the obvious: that Dennis Publishing told you to spam your readers with more newsletters as to increase the amount they can charge for adverts on said newsletter, and you're compiling research on your readers for more targetted advertising). Personally I don't object if this is the reason, but there's a bit of me that thinks it'd be kind of cool if you just said so.

On topic though: L4D, Mass Effect and Audiosurf. Although L4D is the true winner, best game of the year by a country mile.

2. OnyxLilninja

OnyxLilninja What's a Dremel?

Sins of a Solar Empire

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Dennis haven't been involved in this at all actually.

We'll write about the winners when the awards are published (we're fairly confident what the final choices will be, just the order is unsure) but we won't be choosing our own top ten. Instead each writer has chosen one or two games to talk about and that'll be in a separate article some other time.

4. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Socom: Confrontation is missing!!!

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Race Driver: GRID
    Sins of a Solar Empire
    World of Goo

i chose the not-so-big releases, because we all know L4D is great, so why choose it?

World of Goo is the small game that deserves praise, it highlights the innovation that is still possible in today's remakes (FC2, Tomb Raider)

Sins of Solar Empire is just fantastic, HW2 fan's dream (see my avatar's background), nuff said.

i've completed Grid 3 times, doing the 4th playthrough. and it never gets old.

6. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

Looking at both lists gotta say it was a pretty shoddy year really dont you. Especially the PC one although we were spoilt last year with orange box and Bioshock.

7. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Eventually your bit-tech newsletter account will be just a plain bit-tech user account which will let you do weird and wonderful things as well as receiving email newsletters and voting on polls.

8. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

It might be a good idea to have elaborated on this a bit more in the news post.. it might have saved people some griping .. as once I realized it was a whole new signup thingy, I didnt bother voting... this process seems to me rather akin to the whole issue with DRM.. ah well. .carry on!

9. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I'm not quite sure how you can draw a comparison between the two.

10. choupolo

choupolo What's a Dremel?

Voted -
    PC: L4D, GRID, STALKER (deliberated about this since technically the game is bad, but I just love the idea and want to see more.)
    Console: GRID, Gears 2, Prince of Persia

Also signed up in order to usubscribe. I just dont read email newsletters, but I come to the site every day.

11. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Because Left 4 Dead managed to bring some of my friends away from World of Warcraft and back into the land of the living. For that reason alone, the entire design team deserve some sort of medal.

12. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

The news letter wont kill you, I think it will be handy as it will let me know when competitions are running and I for one would like to know since I won one a year or so ago :D

13. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

I have signed for the newsletter from the first day. It's no big deal, just another mail. I never read it thou, because the first thinsgs I do in the morning are (in that order) Check my mail, check BT and check "clube do hardware" (a brazilian site about hardware).

Recently i am checking icanhascheezburger.com a lot too for some laughs :)

Anyway, I am not one wich carries the hype much but...
    GO GO L4D!!!

14. Anti-Hero

Anti-Hero What's a Dremel?

Wow, this is hard.
    I can't really find three games on that list that I really enjoyed.
    Stalker: Clear Sky --> too buggy
    Far Cry 2 --> bored after 20%
    Spore --> besides the creature creator, I didn't find it very fun to play
    Gta4 is pure **** when I hear the comments.

No game lived up to its hype this year...

15. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

It's a Game of the Year poll, not a Lesser Known Game That Wasn't Too Bad-of-the-year poll.

16. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

go play World of Goo and then try to tell me it can't compete with L4D.

currently at 25m of Goo balls, and competed all the game, got a third of the levels i have those white flag achievements.

17. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Gears of war 2 for me. Great Game, great campaign, great multiplayer.

18. jodah175

jodah175 Wannabe Modder

seriously? people are complaing about signing up for a news letter? wow. lame. L4D, Warhammer Online, CODWaW

19. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

It can't compete with Left4Dead. Sure it was a fun little game, and I was glad to support the developers, but it's hardly on the same level. I have poured stupid amounts of hours into that Left4Dead already. The fun factor for world of goo never reached same heights. I finished it, then forgot about it. That isn't goty material for me. Glad you're enjoying it so much though :)

20. itazura

itazura PAWAA GURABU DAISUKI, YABAI DESU YO

went for fallout 3 mainly, just because while left 4 dead is really awesome, it feels a bit thin on content with only four scenarios.

it's still awesome though.