1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Voting in the Referendum experience

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 23 Jun 2016.

1. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

And if the laptop breaks?

Or Mrs Watson the vicar's wife "pressed something and it all went black"?

2. Disequilibria

Disequilibria Minimodder

They always find me and anyone in pretty quick. Every time I vote I'm in and out in 3 minutes tops.

Problems:

Cost buying/ renting hardware
    Computer failure
    Security of the list
    Manipulation adding ineleligible voters and ballot stuffing
    Access points for power (some are in sheds)
    Power failure (several polling stations were flooded today with 6in of water) (one just got out some wellies)
    Installing equiptment in a multipurpose building in every polling station in every ward of every constuency in the country for 1 day every year usually

That's off the top of my head.

All those issues can and would cost a lot more money. All those things can and will go wrong.

Keep electronics away from elections. It should be as labour intensive as is reasonable and possible to stop any individual doing any damage or making it necessary to have a large conspiracy to rig any vote, steal info or sabotage.

Just look at the US where they introduce electronics endless electoral challenges, probable fraud, break down etc

Quite frankly I would be happy if we all chiseled our X in the box into a rock ballot tablet and I'm only joking a little bit....

KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID

Just thought of another voter suppression "oh the computers just happen to be slow in the poor areas"

Last edited: 23 Jun 2016
  3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Every time I've voted, they've found me on their list within thirty seconds at the very longest.

4. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 2 Jan 2018
  5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

It's even easier than that here - your polling station is local to where you live, so they find you by surname and address from a relatively small list. There's usually no need to show ID either, which is a bit odd - you just give your name and address and that's it.

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

That was a pretty painless experience. Also quick. Don't see the need to use computers tbh.

7. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Painless, went in at lunch with my polling card, handed it over confirmed my name. got a ballot paper spent 20 minutes drawing penis's in a fractal pattern. posted it an nipped into the pub for a pint.

8. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Painless as usual.

Major advantage of living in a small village, wonder in and the people on the polling station already know who I am from the last umpteen times I rolled in to vote.

9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Put one both boxes... just to be sure :p

Which is why all the tinfoil hats saying 'use pen, so they can't erase it' make me chuckle... If they were so inclined they'd just put a cross in the other box, spoiling the ballot.

10. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

...or just bin your ballot and replace it with an indistinguishable fake. i.e. another ballot. It's not as though they have serial number on them, is it?

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

It's still a lot of effort to rig something they can legally just ignore...

13. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

That was a hypothetical for the benefit of the tin-foilers out there.

What really happens is they used Dr Doofenshmirtz' Votecontrollinator to temporarily take control of your mind in the voting booth and then immediately modify your memory. :thumb:

14. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

In my part of the world we've gone to all voting by mail. They are of course too cheap to send out free reply envelopes, so you still have to put a stamp on it, but there are drop boxes around town. I think there are a few places where you can still vote in person if you want. Much more convenient and it has increased voting rates.

The problem is that one party over here has figured out that the more people who vote the less likely it is for them to win and so they actually create barriers to voting.

15. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I thought this was hilarious, they've obviously never voted before so don't know it's normally in pencil.

And Kronos, I find the fact you walk your cat hilarious cute. I used to go for a walk with my cat round the garden so he could show me he'd killed everything in sight, but do you go for a walk with a lead or do they just follow you?

16. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

17. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

Doesnt actually have to be a cross it can be tick. It just has to clear what your intention is hence why they recommend you cross it.

What if some hacks the laptop and wipes off everyone who expressed and interest on FB of a rival party,