1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Water Cooling Layout Help

Discussion in 'Modding' started by robyholmes, 9 Oct 2009.

1. robyholmes

robyholmes I'm under your desk...

Hi,

Ok I have a new PC on the way, and already got the cooling and case, but I need to work out what order to do blocks in and if they will all go in one loop? Was kind of hoping they would, but some people say 2 loops are needed. I am not looking for a lot of cooling, but don't want water cooling going to waste cos there is to much on one loop. I have seen some people with all this on one loop.

Parts
    CPU Block Delta 3
    North Bridge
    South Bridge
    GPU (Need to get one, based on choice of GPU)
    Mosfet (x2)
    Pump Swiftech with XSPC Top
    Reservoir XSPC 250mm Passive Aluminium Reservoir
    Radiator XSPC RS360 BLACK

The radiator will have 3 fans at each side to push and pull and the tank will have 2 fans in front blowing in.

PC Specs (Looking Like)
    Cosmos S
    i7 920
    Asus P6T Deluxe V2
    6Gb Corsair Dominator1333Mhz
    Geforce GT300 Or ATI 5870
    That kind of spec...

So 2 loops or 1? Basically does it all sound ok?

Thanks a lot
    Rob Holmes :D

2. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I'd say 2 loops.

Also, you must mention which pump. Just saying Swiftech won't do. Since it has an XSPC top, I'm assuming MCP35x, but still, it could be the MCP350 or the 355.

Looking at pics of the P6T Deluxe v2, I think the two bridge chips + CPU could be handled by one loop, while the GPU + Mosfets could be handled by the second.

OR you could cool the bridges and mosfets with one loop and the GPU + CPU with the second.

My advice is to play around with tubing and pick the one that uses as little tubing as possible.

3. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I'd do two loops, if you just wanted 1 loop then I'd drop cooling the Mosfets and the bridges. In my opinion it's a waste

4. robyholmes

Hi, sorry forgot to put the pump model number, MCP350.

2 Loops, ahhhh That sounds expensive. So if I went for 2, would I need another radiator for say the Bridge and Mosfets? I would say I would... Ummm.

I am going to do some flow tests and see if I can get 2 loops in on Monday.

Is the problem with 2 loops and flow rate or the temperature? As flow rate could be solved by using the dual DCC top from XSPC? Or is a triple radiator not enough for all them parts?

Thanks for feedback

5. voigts

voigts New Member

First off, that reservoir really isn't the best choice. I know they always advertise anodized aluminum as being corrosion free, but one too many people have corrosion issues with anodized parts. It is far better to stick with all copper when it comes to parts. I also fail to see spending more on a reservoir than on a triple radiator. Realize that the supposed passive cooling feature of that res is merely a marketing hype. That res won't cool a thing. I would change reservoirs and go with an EK or Swiftech Microres.

From the looks of that motherboard, I'll doubt you would see any performance improvement by watercooling the northbridge, southbridge, and mosfets. Those heatpipe coolers these days usually get the job done just fine overclocked with just an undervolted fan moving some air over them.

As long as you are not planning on running SLI, you can use one triple XSPC rad with the GPU and CPU running in series. You also need to look at what kind of fans you are going to use. Take a look at http://www.skinneelabs.com/Radiators/XSPC/RX360/RX360.html for C/W values for that rad at given airflows. Using the extreme psu calculator to get an idea of wattage used/heat output, at stock settings, you are looking at about 200w of heat. Using medium speed yate loons, that would put you at a 3.4C delta which is very good. You still would have room for overclocking.

6. robyholmes

Ok, I think I have decided to scrap the North Bridge - South Bridge and Mosfets then. You really think that tank will corrode? I didn't really get it for cooling but looks, I love the thing. Sounds like a plan then. Also means less money to spend. Shame cos cooling the mobo would look cool, maybe in the future. Thanks for help. I think I will sick with tank, It should be ok.

O and fans are these: Xigmatek 120mm XLF-F1253 1500RPM

They are on one side of rad, got 2 coolermaster fans and 1 lian-li stock fan on otherside. The cosmos can have Push and Pull so thought I might was well use it.