Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. RTT

RTT #parp

Really nice Loopy - what other bits have you got on it? Looks like a carbon frame too? :baby:

edit: full carbon indeed. sweeeeeet

2. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

That looks well bling! Can't say I've heard of Ghost before but that looks like a very pimp machine.

Is anyone doing Mountain Mayhem this weekend? I am (not solo mind!). Come and say hi if you see someone on a Commencal meta 5. Actually I probably need to narrow the search down a bit - come and say hi if you see someone on a 2007 Commencal meta 5.5.3 with a gold rear hub and some xt bits :p

3. LoopyJuice

LoopyJuice Astronomical

Yus RTT plenty of carbon on her, full XTR, Mavic Crossmax SLR wheels/spokes/hubs. It's hideously light (around 23lbs) and worth every penny!

We were considering MM but I think a couple of us are just going somewhere on Sunday instead weather permitting :)

4. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

so im looking for a nice bike to cruise with, preferably single speed for cleanlyness and simplicity.

anything under £300?

5. RTT

RTT #parp

Spend 350 and buy a Spesh Centrum. I want one.

6. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

:rock:

7. Tomm

Result = bent seat rails, bent XT mech, destroyed hanger, bent dropout on frame itself, snapped chain.

Good laugh.

8. Jamie

Good weekend then :rock:

9. RTT

RTT #parp

And i thought my broken BB was bad (not MM related) :p

while investigating some creaks i noticed lateral movement in my cranks :(

10. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

Could be worse, RTT. I've taken the bike in to the FLBS and discovered that in the drive-side BB cup there was precisely one bearing and lots of little metal pieces... :jawdrop:

I tend to go through BBs in 3 months or so. Considering getting a ceramic one next :sigh:

11. Clocked

Clocked Yar! It be drivin' me nuts...

Hey folks discovered these cycles over on Wired, there's actually a few decent looking ones there, my favourite being the Cube Urban Street Concept, I'm betting its rather rapid when it comes to road races etc...

Last edited: 25 Jun 2008
  12. orb

orb satisfying.

i think i can join in this thred

[​IMG]

a little while ago, handlebars were a bit too thin for me so i picked up some ones

[​IMG]

perfect :) 29.5" wide. the gear cable is now cut shorter and im trying to get some new fittings to cut my rear one down too

was going to get some new brakes (formula the ones) but cracking my helmet on a tight tree in vallnord has made me spend the money elsewhere, planning to get some goodridge pads when they become available to liven up my brakes

13. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

[​IMG]
    I ride bmx. I'd enjoy having a nice mountain bike, but im spent out between computers and my last bike.

14. Tomm

Nice bike that, orb. Is it the mini-DH or the proper one?

It's ISIS, right? It might be worth cutting your losses and getting Hollowtech cranks. ISIS BBs are overpriced and rubbish. Whereas Hollowtech BBs cost less and last longer. So you'd be spending £15 every 6 months instead of £45 every 3 months.

Are you sure it's the BB itself? It would be relatively rare for a BB to develop noticeable play in its bearings, but if the BB is loose within the frame you'll get lateral movement. If this is the case then you need to fix it ASAP before riding it, otherwise you run the risk of stripping the threads from the BB shell and ruining the frame. Trust me on this one, it has happened to me :wallbash:

15. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Some awesome bikes on there, but that cube is unbelievable! I would jump on that in a heartbeat, it looks awesome and it's so practical it's untrue!

16. orb

orb satisfying.

It's the proper one. I live in the south west of France and travel to Andorra to ride so a Mini DH just doesn't cut it here. Loving it though.

17. Jamie

Nice bike orb.

18. RTT

RTT #parp

Well I don't really know until it gets looked at by someone who has more clue than I do. The cups look tight in the frame and the movement is certainly not in the cups - it's the bearings that seem to move within the cups... if that makes sense. I won't be riding it until it's properly fixed though, i'm not going to push my luck. Thing is I don't know how long it has been like it. I was investigating some creaking (which turned out to be my seat post) and had a look at the BB and noticed the movement. I did give it two fairly big pedal strikes out in Wales, so it could have been that but i'll never really know

19. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

Actually I think it was an external. I got the old Absolut Cromo which was kitted out with that and some faux-bmx cranks. I'm sure I've gone through about 3 BBs a year...

Now on Saint crankset and still breaking them :(

20. Clocked

Clocked Yar! It be drivin' me nuts...

I found this on the tinterweb and thought it of relevance to the conversation...

[​IMG]