1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Ouch! At least you're still conscious and vertical.

Think you might have over stressed the frame though.

2. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

It'll polish out! :worried:

3. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

4. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Whats it like as an off road? I've done the trip twice on road.

Are you full suspension or hard tail? I would be interested.

5. Margo Baggins

It's further off road. I have never done it - but it's 75 miles, with 1,500m of climbing - the description makes it sound like alot of fun.

I will probably do it hard tail, I am in the process of buying a full suspension frame so that could change, but I think that's going to be more of a gravity thing so it probably won't be suitable for this ride! I don't know how many people a team needs to be, so we may not end up doing it officially as a team - but it would be great to do it as a group!

edit: Only just looked at the previous page - I hope you are ok dude!

6. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Well assuming that I can get a new frame for my bike (see previous page) I'd be game for this.

I've always wanted to do some good off roading. I'll need to make sure I get some offroad practice in though, as currently I'm riding on road all the time. Do you ever go to PORC?

So speaking of the replacement frame. I would like to change over the old parts to a new frame.

What do you all think of this?

I just want a cheap frame that I can mount everything on. So it needs to have V Brakes, and fit my suspension forks. This is the pics I have of my bike at work, can take pictures of specific items if that would help anyone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 18 Jan 2013
  7. Margo Baggins

Too wet for PORC at the moment - I only read about it a couple of weeks ago, we are going to go there when it dries out a bit. Mainly riding Friston forrest at the moment - and near PORC there is also Bedgebury trail centre that is more single trail and trails than all out downhill and freeride like PORC.

8. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Perfectly nice usable frame.

Check how much steerer you have available on the fork though, that GT uses a normal external cup headset and it's got a long headtube, your Carrera looks like it's a zero stack, so you could be setting up for a huge headache (or new forks) there.

9. Cookie Monster

Also, the seat post may be a different diameter, if it is, the front mech probably won't fit either. Most GT's run a seat post diameter of 27.2 if I remember right (though don't quote me), look towards the base of your Carrera seat post, next to the minimum insertion mark there will be a size usually somewhere between 25 and 32mm.

A 22" frame too, what height are you?

Might be worth getting the seller to take a few measurements.

10. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

We are getting some snow here and it's making me want to finally get my bike and get riding (been too long)

However I've found my front tire needs pumping, and I don't seem to have the right adaptor? (presumably left it at home or whatever)

So thinking of just buying a pump, any recommendations? Ideally one that can do both types of valve, but needs to be able to do presta valves since that is what my current tires have.

11. Margo Baggins

I have this pump http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bontrager/turbo-charger-track-pump-ec044154#features though I got it in a sale and didn't pay that much. It's a nice pump though.

12. Cookie Monster

Depending on what pump you get, you can get one of these to adapt the schrader to presta without needing to turn the internals round.

[​IMG]

13. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

If I'm going to get a new pump I like the idea of a 'track' style pump, since a hand pump seems to make everything a faff :p

Any particular brands people would recommend? Anything to look out for?
    The couple I have looked at work with both types of valves which is good :)

14. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Park Tools, Topeak, Lezyne are the ones I typically recommend. All will have universal heads, all have very solid builds, and all have fantastic warranties.

Also, funny vending machine in the staff room at work:

[​IMG]
    (I'm tempted to vandalise it, but I think Lance has vandalised himself enough)

15. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Cold enough here that my eyelashes froze cycling back from town, even with glasses on. Bit difficult on road slicks as well.

16. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Yay snow :)
    Ran the small blocks at around 10psi for a bit of extra grip, good fun and the scenery is always more interesting with a bit of snow.
    [​IMG]

17. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

its that an on one 456? or even a whippet?

18. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

I'm giving serious consideration, have looked at the training schedules on the BHF website and despite me being a month away from being able to actually afford the bike I want that is no hurdle as it leaves me 30 weeks to back to back the 3 10 week training programs (basic, intermediate and then advanced) and a lot of the midweek stuff can be done on a gym exercise bike by using the appropriate programs built in.

Have a good reason to do it and if there was a team entry it would suit me better than being a standalone entrant as there would be people to not let down and give me motivation when training gets tough...

19. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

456. I got it out of curiosity as there's not many longer travel carbon hardtails out there. Fast, comfortable, stable, light, and cheap, if it lasts a few years then that's the final box ticked. It's loads of fun and doesn't feel like your on the wrong bike weather going up or down :)

20. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Hmm, this is a very cool idea.. that's going to require some more thinking. I'm not sure if I'll have a bike that's up to it by then..