1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Western Digital Black family gets 5TB, 6TB models

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 20 Aug 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

besides 4k movies, how do you fill 6tb for personal use?

for those of you jumping for the P word, well, if you ain't streaming it.....maybe the police should be watching too:)

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

install all your games, without uninstalling the others

4. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Yeah, my steam library's over 300. With the size of some games, this could take up a mass of space!

5. Xir

Xir Modder

So does this higher platter density trickle down already?
    As in, the 6TB one has 3 platters, so the 2TB one now has only 1 platter (and the same density?)

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Backups. If you take regular backups, and keep past backups (to avoid "oh no, I didn't realise I deleted CriticalFile two weeks ago when I emptied that folder") then you can easily fill up HDDs even using incremental or differential disc images.

7. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

Ripping all of your legally owned (but illegal-in-the-UK-to-rip) DVDs, CD and BDs for use with Plex etc.? (thought Black drive possibly not the best option for this)

Beyond that, Steam/Origin/UPlay library and full OS-drive backup imaging as already mentioned

edit: also if you're a profressional photographer, RAW files can eat up a lot of space in not very long, especially for full-frame and medium format sensors!

8. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

My only gripe with WD Black drives is how noisy they can get.

It's not that difficult to fill up that kind of storage by having graphic design & programming as a hobby or by recording videos of games for YouTube.
    Alternatively having lots of games installed and every possible mod for Skyrim/Fallout and other games stored and ready for quick installation and use can really fill up space.

9. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Just an example of that, a Canon EOS 5DS, (a decent but unexceptional pro camera) shoots RAW images of over 80MB each.

Shoot anywhere up to a few hundred a day, process them but keep the originals, make multiple edits, make backups...

It's a lot easier than you'd think.

10. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Jeez, those are huge. I guess that's what happens when you pack in a 50mp sensor. The 24mp RAW files for the D750 sit at only 19.6MB each.

But yeah you can fill up storage space like mad with RAW shots.

11. itrush07

itrush07 Minimodder

What the.. that's huge, ya you can fill it up with all your stuff, without uninstalling your favorite games, setup new programs and more... I just wonder, how much time it would take to format this kind of drive? haha..

12. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

this would reduce my "media" server down from 6 HDDs down to 2 (don't norm bother with backup as not really important), i should really protect my setup

Last edited: 27 Aug 2015