1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I feel ya, bro. Just returned from visiting my brother in the Netherlands last week.

Can't wait to retire in 22 months and GTFO.

yuusou likes this.
  2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Can't quite place that film. The man with one red shoe?

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Forgot to mention. Water cool* make my life awesome.

*Water cool as in the company who make heatkiller. They are the only company who make it reasonable to find a block for your GPU. They buy one of every card, drop a description and tell you which blocks fit.

EK are awful. You can't search for your card and then when you select it manually it just says "we have no plans". I almost ordered an EK for £125, then realised that even on sale it was the same price as a heatkiller which was 100x more sexy. However, their description (WC) said it was (my card like) the same as a stock 2080 and I ended up finding a barrow for £75 in the UK. A barrow that did not list my card (2070 Asus Dual OC) until I selected 2080 /roll eyes.

So yeah, whilst I didn't think it was worth £125 for a block for a 2070 that's still the most comprehensive info I could find so massive kudos.

I could have bought a MSI ventus even cheaper but the Asus uses the 2080 PCB which has an 8 pin and 6 pin* and 8 phases of digital VRM.

* Nvidia founders has one 8 pin, still costs £550 and apparently is a nightmare to take apart.

Add.. the EK on sale was for a 2070 and wouldn't have fitted any way.

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Made a massive bowl of cheesy mashed potatoes this evening. I haven't had that in ages...

Nexxo, Mr_Mistoffelees and Vault-Tec like this.
  5. Vault-Tec

My Alienware X51 arrived exactly as described. It's bone stock, hasn't been mangled and boots to windows recovery indicating a dead HDD.

Have ordered a 120gb Patriot Burst and will begin stripping and cleaning tomorrow.

I've finally sort of decided on a use for it too.

Welcome to the family, little one.

Arboreal and Byron C like this.
  6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Just back from a long weekend in the Lakes, forgot how beautiful it is and how lovely the East>West drive is.

No signal and no TV for a few days and the snow started just as we got there and put the fire on.

Nice.

The_Crapman and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  7. Vault-Tec

Cleaning. 6 years of filth.

Start...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of cleaning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

adidan likes this.
  8. adidan

It wouldn't surprise me, with the number of pc's you have, that you'll have a link to V-T'sVPN service one of these days :)

Out of interest, what did you use to cllean? Sprays and elbow grease, air? My AX78 has some caked on dust that needs removing.

9. Vault-Tec

Lungs, paint brush, tooth brush, Detol surface cleaner (for the sides) and isoprop.

If it were bigger I would probably replace lungs with canned air or something, but today was old school day haha.

You can buy proper non static brushes....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AKORD-Plas...rds=anti+static+brushes&qid=1583076048&sr=8-6

But I decided to be a rebel lmao (I took everything back to my flat ffs)

Ed. Oh and a greeny. I use that on textured plastic to remove any residue from rubs. The side/bottom panel had some white paint on. Just be gentle, don't rub it so hard it scratches or scuffs.

Arboreal and adidan like this.
  10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

The move has begun.

Well. It began yesterday, but. All the available new furniture has been constructed, and loosely placed in the office/assorted-toy room. Tomorrow some people are being paid to move the lion's share of the stuff, because I ****ing hate moving. So my heavy lifting is mostly over. Until the rest of the new furniture arrives, but that won't be for a couple of weeks at least yet.

Once the desk is finished then the rs comes to its new home and I can start planning the garage work bench. I already have some outlandish, overly complex, ideas for how to save space and still have a full work surface. Gonna be fun, that project.

Last edited: 1 Mar 2020
    Vault-Tec likes this.
  11. adidan

Cheers.

Yeah got a load of isop kicking around and I think I have a spare camera brush too which should work. Actually daft sod me, that brush fits on a little hand air pump for my camera :idea:

Never had to remove this much cake before. :lol:

12. Vault-Tec

This wasn't bad for surface cake. But it needed totally stripping and cleaning properly.

GPU was the worst of course.

13. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

That intermediate power board looks interesting.
    It's a DC brick to 24 pin etc. by the look of it.
    What is that super over powered OEM GPU? /s :eek:

It's all cleaned up a treat, and you've had a work out carting it round!

14. adidan

As @Arboreal says, you've cleaned it up a treat.

15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I'm convinced houses are designed by people who don't cook, or own any stuff...

Likewise bedrooms... because unlike sensible countries that sell based on square footage/metreage they cram as many 'bedrooms' as they can in... They fact they're only just big enough to accommodate a bed and bugger all else is irrelevant, they'll use the fact there's 5 of them to jack the price up.

16. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Yup, if you browse real estate websites in places like the US, Australia, NZ etc, the total square metres of the house and plot (square feet in UK) is nearly always listed.

17. Vault-Tec

GT 640 1gb. Better than I expected and more than good enough for 1080p YouTube and what I have planned for it*

Rig has 8gb ram, not 6. Crucial too.
    My replacement hard drive didn't work (just made a buzzing noise) but imagine my surprise when I installed win 10 home on the one in there and ran a quick scan and it's fine *shrugs*. I'm running a full scan now.

SSD came and I installed that and installed 10 home again. Rig is licensed (result!) And that works beautifully. I need to make a power splitter so I can run 2hdds, so I've pulled the SSD and am now watching a full hdtune surface scan.

It's very quiet at idle. The lights all work and change perfectly. Yup, 19v PSU into a internal flex PSU. Then into the mobo.

So yeah, overall a very good day.

*Ok I'll let it slip. I can't use VLC in the bedroom for streaming as I'm not buying another android stick or computer. I'm going to run this. Overkill? No. Ages and ages ago I bought the Fallout anthology for pc and I've never even opened it. Like, fallout 1,2 Bos tactics etc. I did try fo1 years ago but it seemed very odd. However I got into fo2 on my apple PowerBook before selling it so I know what I'm doing now. Plus I've watched some tutorial videos too.

I'd never played a single RPG before FO3 and the learning curve was steep. So fo1 being far more "manual" overwhelmed me a little bit. Good old autism. However it's time and I'm ready. I'm actually very excited tbh.

So yeah, another one for the collection and a good use for it too. YT on my TV sucks ass. It's terrible takes over an hour to even pick up new vids ffs. So I'll use it for that too.

Arboreal likes this.
  18. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I believe in Germany they have a law specifying minimum permitted room sizes, we need the same here.

Edit, I heard the above some time ago, I haven't found anything online to back it up.

Last edited: 1 Mar 2020
  19. Vault-Tec

[​IMG]

So there was nothing wrong with the hardware at all.

I was kinda hoping the person selling it didn't have a clue when they said "Black screen with white writing, no boot". I mean, otherwise that's a great way to pretty much hide anything really. But yeah, a Windows install and it even had a license on. Thankfully the dead HDD is years old and it must have taken a bash at some point. So I smacked it with a hammer a few times and threw it in the trash.

I literally have 5 minutes of soldering to do and that's it.

IanW and wolfticket like this.
  20. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Their comparability list is very comprehensive and being a big f off list , it's easy to scroll down to find your card. I have it saved on my phone. lol And their blocks are pure sex.