1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Until my new chassis arrives, I have erm... around 24tb of SSD storage not currently being utilised. :worried:

Arboreal and IanW like this.
  2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I'm just saying

adidan likes this.
  3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Lol, I have another 1Tb living in one of those :lol:

4. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Watched Orbit Culture (with Defects opening) at the Exchange in Bristol last night. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not much standing room but it was awesome!! The entire building seemed to vibrating from the bass. [​IMG][​IMG]

Byron C likes this.
  5. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

But with the muffs on, you can't tell if you're screaming loud enough for help when one of your femorals gets caught and clogs the chain...

I kid you not, due to backup drives, internals not yet fitted, internals purchased, lost, replacements purchased then originals found, Amazon deals jumped on and not returned in time (10TB in the last sale alone when the Crucials dropped), upgrades for kids and other people that were bought and then decided not to use, I'm way north of 30TB and possibly 40TB sitting in places I have had to try and list in a notebook as I find. All that does is stress me out even more about all the unfinished projects I have on the go. I don't even have a NAS.

But I do have a Sky+ box project with 2x 2TB hard drives wired in via backplane switch - another project that I didn't finish before Sky Q came out and replaced it. But then I might do the same to that one at some point (never).

EDIT: Just looking at the Xbox externals I think it's more like 50TB+. Got about 20 on the Xboxes alone. FFS. At least those ones are being used.

Last edited: 8 Mar 2024
  6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I can’t have that much storage kicking around because I’ll just fill it with guff… and then I’ll have to sort through all the guff before I wipe anything to make sure I’ve backed up what I need. It took me a good few hours to scour through my gaming machine’s three hard drives before I decommissioned it.

I’ve even forgotten that drives were even in some of our PCs. Like the SATA SSD in my other half’s machine: it was physically connected but the partitions had been nuked so it didn’t show up in Windows - I totally forgot it was even in there until I rebuilt the machine yesterday.

I want everything stored on the PCs in the house to be disposable; personal shizz goes in OneDrive where it’s automatically synced, and stuff to keep long-term goes straight to the NAS which is backed up to Azure. Everything else is temporary; if a machine or drive dies then no big deal, because there’s nothing on there that needs to be kept. I can just blat (or bin) the drive without worry.

I’m trying to de-clutter our house as much as possible at the moment, and I need to spend just as much time doing a digital de-clutter! :grin:

adidan likes this.
  7. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Oh, don't. The Big Digital Declutter is my most pressing project and the one that gets put off the most frequently.

Luckily, a lot of the drives are empty and some of the others are backups, but I definitely need a better solution. Disposable working drives is a good idea.

adidan likes this.
  8. adidan

* Looks at boxed X58, and AM3 motherboards, DDR3 RAM back in it's packs, random coolers, several old working laptops and various bits and bobs "

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU MEAN!!! :worried:

Springtime. I know I've said this before for springtime....

9. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

A friend of mine who's not as lucky as me when it comes to work and health had his 8th gen Intel CPU die on him. Since prices in Sweden, where he lives, are pretty insane, he was in danger of being without a PC for potentially a long time.

I still had an X570 board and a 3700X collecting dust because I'm bad at selling things I no longer use.

Put everything in a box today, it's waiting for pick-up now. He's over the moon, which in turn makes me very happy.

On top of that the sun is shining and my wife and I will do some more prep work on the balcony for the vegetable growing season.

Life is good right now.

Pete J, IanW, Isitari and 6 others like this.
  10. adidan

That's so selfish @perplekks45 , giving a friend a decent setup just to make yourself feel better.

You big meanie! :happy:

Honestly, hearing of good deeds makes me feel better too. Good on you mate. :thumb:

perplekks45 likes this.
  11. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

£2k scrappage grant from TFL for my old diesel.

WBAC quoted me £500 for it (non-scrappage), two scrap yards didn't want to give me any money for it cos they had too many vehicles, got any extra £160 for it from another.

Had two new tires in January and still had 3/4 of a tank of fuel in it, the scrap yard got a bargain.

Byron C likes this.
  12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Still can't quite believe that China took Bandai's 1/60 PGU and essentially made it into a 1/100 MGU, it's ****ing astounding!

Went a little overboard on detailing the frame but I've not had this much fun in ages.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

That really is a nice kit. I think I still want to try and get a PG Red Frame Astray for my next big build as I love the mechanical gimmicks of the main joints. I have a knock off MG version and the way that all the knee sections move and slide around is fantastic.

14. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Seagate replaced the dud SSD in a surprisingly speedy and no-nonsense manner...

15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

16. adidan

New mattress has arrived.

This firm mattress is actually firm unlike the crappy sleepeze we stupidly got during lockdownish times. Mind you this was alot more than that one.

A good mattress should last. The double we have in the spare room is one we bought in Edinburgh about twenty years ago and it's still a lovely firm thing.

Hopefully now I can discern what aches are due to the mattress and which are due to just falling to bits :happy:

17. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

A very welcome gift from the father-in-law:

acorngames.jpg

18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Magic Pockets, Sim City, Lemmings, Pipe Mania, James Pond... Some stone-cold classics there, and those boxes look like they're in excellent condition.

Nice!

IanW likes this.
  19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm really pleased about Zarch: it's arguably the most iconic game for the Archimedes, and almost impossible to find a copy of these days. Lander, sure, you can get Lander. Zarch? I've found a single disk dump online, and it didn't seem to run properly.

IanW and Byron C like this.
  20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I thought that rang a bell somewhere in a disused dusty corner of my brain... At the time I didn't really know much about the Archimedes at all, it wasn't a system I was ever exposed to. Everything I've learned since then has been pretty much just surface-level.