1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Not tall at all hah (5'9" in shoes, maybe?). But I've always ridden small sized frames - especially now all modern MTB geometry is favouring the "long, slack, low" philosophy. It probably looks more extreme because the frame was designed with maximum standover clearance to start with, too.

And to be fair, the Reverb is usually inserted a good 10-15mm more than that, but it's developed a bit of sag when I put my weight on it, so I have to compensate a little until I can be bothered to re-bleed it :p

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I like short frames too. Dunno why... Mine is like 18.5"? something like that. I too am 5'9 so I guess it's just the shape of your frame.

About an hour ago the postman bought me my letters. One of them is a £280 water bill (one of two, the other is £80) that is dated 1st April 2019 - March 2020. I move out on the 27th March, so they can bugger right off.

Made my day that did. Usually I panic and just pay it, leaving me skint for a month.

3. Vault-Tec

[​IMG]

The sun could not possibly rise in a better spot. Counting the bloody days now ! Nosey pigeon stuck its head in to say hello lol

[​IMG]

4. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Got a surprise for you lot this week :naughty:

perplekks45 and adidan like this.
  5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

New tricks Doge?

MLyons likes this.
  7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Well, Gary at BT turns out to be completely useless. I'd not had the email through with the order confirmation, so I rang up to chase.

Me: <backstory, because of course I'm talking to someone else now>
    Karen: "...there's no open or pending order on your line."
    Me: "FFS."

So, Karen's put in an order for BT Superfast Fibre 1 at Fibre 2 speeds, which is apparently distinct from BT Superfast Fibre 2 only in what appears on your bill, with landline, weekend calls, and all that jazz for £21.99 a month, and swears that when she's back in the office on Thursday and the order's live she'll email her manager and get the discount down to £19.99 processed.

We'll see, won't we?

EDIT:
    Silly thing is, if the original retention offer had been for £21.99 I'd have snatched their hands off - but now I've been promised £19.99, I'm damned if I'm not going to get it no matter how many flamin' calls I have to make to Retentions.

Last edited: 26 Feb 2019
    IanW likes this.
  8. adidan

That's no way to talk about colleagues.

MLyons likes this.
  9. Vault-Tec

Just a hint. If they told you a cost then the call would have been recorded. If you have any issues getting what they said you'll get simply say "I want to complain".

In 2017 when I threw out my ex she deliberately cut off (and put a freeze on) the existing line. She could have let me switch it, but she was so full of spite she couldn't help herself. That left me in a very expensive and awkward position. So long as Plusnet hold that line I can not use it.

I knew it was going to be very expensive (it's about £150) to get a new line ran. I called around and every one was saying between £150-£200 depending on how much they were adding onto paying BT to do it. Then I called BT themselves, and was amazed to be told I would not have to pay anything at all, apart from £36 for the router and delivery. I put the phone down, chuffed, and starting eating my dinner. About ten minutes later I got a call from BT explaining that I had to pay £175 for a new line to be installed.

I simply said "Go and listen to the recording, and I want to file a complaint".

About three days later the head honcho from BT called. I ended up being sent a brand new router (for the original order) which she told me I could keep (and I duly sold it for 25 nicker) and then as an apology I got everything for free. I paid not one penny until the bill was due.

Companies these days are terrified of Ofcom. If you raise a complaint and they don't fix it pronto it goes to Ofcom and they get a hefty fine. So yeah, if they promised you a price then sodding well hold them to it dude !

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Aye: they've already listened to the recording where I entered into a verbal contract for the £19.99/18-month deal-that-doesn't-exist.

IanW and Vault-Tec like this.
  11. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

RTX 2080's for e'rybody!!

12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Revising my networking and the OSI mnemonic my college lecturer used came flooding back, "All People Saw The Naughty Dog Piss".

adidan likes this.
  13. adidan

Pick up the keys to the house tomorrow. Paint testers and tape measure ready to go.

The_Crapman, IanW, maxlxyd and 4 others like this.
  14. Vault-Tec

This is a bit of a "nay but yay".

So I Googled earlier "When do I need to let BT know I am moving". It said "30 days before you move".

Today just so happens to be 30 days, so I called them. Now I knew I could get out of my contract if I wanted because I am going into a Trust property (sheltered) and they allow you to basically walk away if you want to. Right now I am paying £56 a month or so (usually works out around £58 if I need to make a few mobile calls) for 76mb Fibre, all of the BT TV stuff and the top calling plan. Believe me, it's cheap. However I have noticed that other than the new Wheeler Dealers I have not used BT TV at all. All I do is set the series of WD to record and watch on catch up when I am sat down eating dinner. The rest of the time I only watch Netflix and Prime in bed (and BBC Iplayer etc). So I wanted to shift the TV as it was a waste of cash. I called BT and the best they can offer me is 19mb copper. Nay. /Cartman... Meehhhhh meh meh mehhhhhhh. However, I kinda knew that was going to happen. I asked for a new plan entirely (unlimited BB, unlimited calling, all of the call features etc) and it ended up £33 a month.

Which I am yaying about, because it's £20 less than I am paying now. And, every penny counts, because when you live in a trust property unless you are fully mentally disabled (like, dribbling and unaware of your surroundings) you have to pay £36 a week (for a carer to come in for two hours to make sure you're OK, help you with things like managing money) and so on. It also includes a window cleaner every week, janitor and so on. So I really don't mind paying it, but don't want it to impact my taxi money too much. So if I cut everything back a little (19mb is fine for online gaming, crap for downloading but I can do that overnight) then I am happy.

I'm pretty sure my water bill will not be £37 a month any more either, as I am going on a meter, switching from a large cast iron bath to a modern shower and so on. I am also being charged £21 a month council tax now, but trust properties are fully exempt.

So aye, trying to find that extra cash without dipping into mine.

IanW likes this.
  15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Just managed to knock my internet bill from Sky down from £38.99 (£20 fibre + £18.99 line rental) to £18.99 all in by searching "Cancel broadband" on their website.

Basically, you threaten to cancel, and the website itself offers you a better deal.

16. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Whaaaaaht?!

*trundles off to try it out*

Assume you were logged in?

17. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

It's the same with NowTV - Log in every few months, go to cancel movies and entertainment passes, "Oh how about 6 months at a third of the price?", OK deal. No haggling, no comparing. Combined with cheap £20 PM all-in internet and phone and my entire monthly TV/internet/phone package comes in at under £28 PM.

18. Gareth Halfacree

Just tried on my TV package: logged in, searched for "cancel TV," found the right page, hit "Do you wish to cancel? Yes" and all it did was drop me at the contact page with a "sorry to see you go, talk to an adviser" message. Boo.

19. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I reckon they've put in a block for your account after your recent phone calls

20. Gareth Halfacree

Hah! Different companies - I have TV with Sky, phone/broadband with BT, and mobile with Vodafone. I used to have Sky Broadband, but they were stuck on 36Mb/s when BT was offering 72Mb/s so I shifted.