1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you guys think about Firefox 3?

Discussion in 'Software' started by NoahFuLing, 17 Jun 2008.

1. NoahFuLing

NoahFuLing What's a Dremel?

I don't like it. It's SLOOOOOOOW, so I'm looking to go back to 2.0.0.14. Right now, however, the only install I have is 2.0.0.3, and Firefox can't update to 2.0.0.14 through its update client. Is there anywhere (preferably at mozilla.org) where I can obtain a copy of 2.0.0.14, or should I rely on dodgy sites for a copy?

What does everyone think about Firefox 3? Good? Bad? Pain in the keester?

2. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

I reinstalled my entire PC today and Forefox 3 was top of the install list (after antivirus of course) and I love it.

For me it seems faster than FF2 and has a few nice tweaks that I like....so far.

:D

3. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

I don't know if I wanna risk it, I love FF2 as it is really. But maybe FF3 is nicer? :p Too risky :p

4. Matticus

Matticus ...

I like it a lot.

Occasionally RC2 would slow down for no reason, but this is super fast, much faster than FF2 and it really does make ie7 look very slow.

Unlike others I don't use any plugins so compatability isn't an issue for me.

5. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

its the best thing since sliced bread

6. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

The problem must be at your end; try a new profile or clean install. Add your extensions one at a time until you hit the speed problem.

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I agree with cpemma. Firefox 3 runs very smoothly and fast.
    I like it much more over Firefox 2. Plus, I can do this under Vista ::rock::rock:
    [​IMG]

8. Matticus

Matticus ...

I have noticed one hell of an annoying error.

Occasionally the favicon icon for DistroWatch on my bookmarks toolbar just randomly changes to the favicon of the site I am on or have been on recently. It goes back as soon as I go onto distroWatch but its still annoying.

GoodBytes, What theme, mod, setting, whatever the hell that is is that? Me wants!!!

9. Major

Major Guest

It's crap.

10. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

It's very easy to do! Just many steps. But the results are promising.
    Here are all the details and instructions
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=3343435#3343435

Here is the simpler version if you are too lazy to read.
    1 - Download this Firefox add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7336
    Vista 64-bit users has a little treat by having it in 64-bit (Firefox 64-bit is NOT required): http://www.sixxgate.com/files/glasser-x64.xpi

2 - Once you have downloaded it, install it if Firefox didn't do it automatically.

3 - If you want the Windows Explorer (green teal), Windows Media Player (black, like I have), or Windows Mail (blue) style background on the personal toolbar/Bookmark toolbar, download http://www.sixxgate.com/files/GlasserExtras.zip.
    Install the CSS files with the Stylish Add-on (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2108)

4 - If you want to hide the menu bar and press Alt key to show it (like in Windows Vista), download this:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3895
    OR this:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4762

5- Tell Firefox to show the "Bookmark Toolbar" (that is the black bar on the picture) [View>Toolbars>Bookmark Toolbar]

6- Restart Firefox, and you are set!

11. shomann

shomann Minimodder

Using FF3 on my Macbook Pro - very noticeable difference, meaning good, even with the plug-ins.

I will miss Google Browser Sync though (switched to Foxmarks)

12. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Just got it, seems just fine to me :)

13. Matticus

Matticus ...

You, sir are my hero. I have been wanting to do something like this for a while.

14. GeekyGray

GeekyGray Are we there yet?

I like it a lot. I didn't really use plugins in FF2, so I really notice some of the features which have become more comprehensive (the download manager, and address bar history spring to mind). Seems to be fast too. All in all, definitely an improvement on FF2 (which I also loved). Well that is my opinion anyway :D

15. NoahFuLing

I'll try it again, who knows what's going on.

Is FF3 finally Cocoa-native for Mac? As I remember, the whole Camino vs. Firefox issue was that Camino didn't have all the great add-ons and such, but it was Cocoa-native (which let it run faster). Anyone aware?

Also, did they fix the memory leaks for PC and Mac?

16. NoahFuLing

Haha, it works! No idea why it ran slow before, I'm running exactly the same add-ons and themes. Strange.

So the only thing I miss about FF2 is the All-In-One Gestures add-on, specifically the ability to scroll between tabs. When you put your mouse in the tab bar normally, it will move the tab bar around, but the AIOG add-on allowed you to switch tabs when you spun the scroll wheel, instead of merely scrolling through the tabs. Does that make sense, and does anyone know of something to replace it?

EDIT: Haha, never mind! If you look at the reviews for AIOG, they tell you how to modify it for FF3. Damn useful extension.

Last edited: 18 Jun 2008
  17. Squadexodus

Squadexodus I got my cookie. What about you?

Im not quite sure. It changed to firefox 3 yesterday (Dunno why or how, It just did.) So i really didnt notice any difference. Bit sleeker looking.

18. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

its fast and pretty, what more could you ask for? more reliable then fire fox 2. my ff2 would lock up, but it wouldn't crash. ff3 seems to not do this at all. im sure it was a bug in my computer tho. somewhere.

19. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Better after having done a clean reinstall of Firefox - I've been running v3 since around beta 2, and that had screwed up my themes and extensions a bit. Some of the stupid ugly hacks I had done have been replaced with much better and more functional extensions... I don't know how I've gone this long without Stylish/User Styles, and having the proper Mac theme is a big (however subtle) improvement.

20. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

its alright?! its reasonably faster than FF2, and a heck of a lot better looking, but it seems to be using more CPU power than FF2
    And (this may be something to do with me being on capped broadband speeds) it seems to be loading bit-tech different? (i know wtf is he on about!)