1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment What First Camera for Teen

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by blackerthanblack, 1 Dec 2023.

1. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

Okay so I have a nearly 15year old daughter that loves art and really wants a camera for Christmas. Now she has never had a DLSR before, and I don't know much about them other than the decent established brands, so I was wondering if there are any recommendations from here that might be suitable?
    I don't think she needs a multitude of infinitely variable settings - something that is relatively simple to get some good results out of will be good. Also something that is relatively compact and lightweight would be good as she is not the the biggest muscle in the room...
    My wife found this one at Currys, and it seems to be reasonable physically and budget wise, just wondering what you guys think of it?
    https://www.currys.co.uk/products/c...m-f45.6-iii-lens-10204844.html?searchTerm=eos

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

That's a decent starter bundle, but you should consider mirrorless cameras for something more compact. Also you can get some bargains second hand.

This Sony a6300 from Jessops would be a good shout as you know they'll have given it a clean and checked it's all ok. This is the same model camera I used for all the bit videos and reviews. Price is somewhat of a bargain too.

Get a couple of lenses from somewhere like Wex or MPB covering various apertures. Something like the Sony E PZ 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS is great on terms of compactness for general photography, then maybe get something geared more towards the work she wants to do, like a macro lens for closeups of things, something with a large aperture like f2.8 or f1.8 for low light photography (with aperture, the smaller the "f-stop" number the larger the aperture, the more light that can be let in)

3. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I agree with @The_Crapman on all points.
    The less expensive Canon and other brand DSLRs have lower magnification and darker viewfinders than higher up models, which is a bit limiting.
    Mirrorless doesn't have that drawback, as you have an electronic viewfinder.
    As ever higher models will be better specced.
    Used will always get you more for your budget, and there's more to it than the biggest megapixel numbers and features.
    Any of the main systems will have tons of lens options from their own brand and third parties.
    A body with a couple of kit zooms is a great start and others can be added as required per the above suggestions.

4. blackerthanblack

Thanks both, yes I had considered used as that would get me more for the money, but of course that opened up a whole sea of stuff to consider. I've heard of the mirrorless types but didn't really know their pros or cons to DSLR.

That Sony does look interesting, if I was buying the body I'd be lost looking for a couple of lenses, but I'd certainly be looking for a macro lens for leisure if not her college as she loves to take time on close up pics of nature. So that and something for long range scenery as she'll always look for those shots. One thing she doesn't do is people or much indoors.

5. The_Crapman

Lenses you'd need are Sony E Mount, which are specifically for the size of the sensor that camera has. Sony FE lenses will also fit and work, but they're intended for higher end cameras with larger sensors, so the focal length of the lens (the size on them in mm) isn't quite the same.

The links I put above for Wex and mpb should take you to a list of Sony E Mount lenses. If your daughter knows about the present, you could discuss with her what lenses she might want.

A decent starting set might be a 16-50mm and a 55-210mm, similar to that canon setup and both have image stabilisation (noted by the OSS in the name). Or maybe this tamron lens instead for a larger range.

IanW, Arboreal and Byron C like this.
  6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

From my (limited) understanding, DSLRs seem to be less and less of a priority for manufacturers these days.

In terms of the kinds of settings that you'd want to control for photography - shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc - then there's practically zero difference. Very often DSLRs and mirrorless cameras from the same brand will share the same image processors and sensors, so it's not even like you're getting a bigger sensor or better processing with a DSLR. If it's ever going to be relevant for your daughter then mirrorless cameras are also far better at shooting video than DSLRs. The suggested A6300, for example, can do 4K @ 30fps or 1080P @ 120fps.

Mirrorless cameras are definitely the more compact and lightweight option. A DSLR will naturally be larger because of the space needed for the mirror reflex and optical viewfinder.

The links @The_Crapman posted look like a great starting point. The A6300 is a great camera and it's hard to disagree with the recommended lenses - they cover a good range of focal lengths and they're both Sony.

Arboreal likes this.
  7. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

If you want to go with Sony, and you want some Macro action, then you can look at some of the Viltrox lenses. The reviews people have given the lenses on the Fuji and Nikon mounts have been favourable, so I can't see Sony being any different.

Sam

Arboreal likes this.
  8. blackerthanblack

Thanks everyone for the help with this, I do like the look of the A6300 so may well go for that, and I'm looking now for some decent lenses. Might be good for the family to get those to go along with the camera, along with some memory and bag etc. I'll probably buy them though.

Last edited: 2 Dec 2023
    Arboreal, Byron C and The_Crapman like this.
  9. The_Crapman

I've bought 2 used cameras from Jessops, both have been immaculate. Bonus of it being Jessops Vs eBay is if you get it and for whatever reason the sensor is dirty or you have any other problems, they have physical shops you can go to.

Arboreal likes this.
  10. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I've used Camerajungle for pre-owned lenses, and they are part of Jesspos. I do typically use MPB for all my pre-owned gear. I do also recommend London Camera Exchange.

Sam

IanW likes this.
  11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Another vote for LCE.

12. al_bundy

al_bundy Minimodder

If u want something for the future and flexibility, then choose a DSLR.
    For the first good cam, its ok if u buy a cheap body. Lens's r more important for quality pix.
    Mirrorlesscams r also not that bad. They r much faster then cams with a mirror.

U dont buy her a new cam, u offer her a new hobby.