1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What the h*ll is going on with Bit-Tech???

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by greypilgers, 16 Mar 2012.

1. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

I'm sure you know, or have learned by now, customer service and communication is the key. Even if your update is simply "We're reviewing the [issues] you've raised and will be discussing them ... , but it may take a few weeks so please be patient ..... " would at least let us know it's not being totally ignored and give you a chance to review/consider the matter without continued rebukes, escalating campaigns etc. Then if it's a "live with it" fair enough, we know "your" position.

2. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

Got another pop up today, persuaded me to install Adblock. Ahhhhh no ads! :D Wheyyyy!

3lusive likes this.
  3. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

No Ads! Vive la revolution!

4. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Im ok witht he bar thing at the bottom - its not ideal and I certainly wont click it like ANY obstructive or intrusive ads, but its better than ebay filling your screen or ads that make lots of noise.

If you ever install ads which make noise, I will stop coming to this forum (within hours of the first one :)).

edit: this is not meant to be an invitation to install noisy ads :p

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

On the plus side for Bit, I'm sure many of the site users will be clicking through to buy copious amounts of Vaseline on the strength of the bottom banner I got this morning :D

6. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

FTFY :thumb:

7. Shirty

I am the 1%. Soon to be the well lubricated 1%.

:rock:

8. noizdaemon666

Does that make you the 0.1%? lol

And in the words of some guy's sig on here: Lube up that DVI connector and get it in that VGA port /euphemism (paraphrased) :thumb:

9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

At which point, the lady (PC) in question, will scream "Wrong hole!"

10. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Forum's are easy to setup. I had X404 setup in no time. Takes some work & money to keep going but the main problem is unless you have content on the site to draw new members in (which costs money so you need to put ads etc in) then you end up with a core membership that stay for the community you've built but very few new members so it looks like an old boys club from the outside.

If you want content then it has to be paid for somewhere (hence the reason X404 is light on content but has no ads on the forums etc)

11. noizdaemon666

Never heard my PC scream......but then it doesn't have speakers haha

12. Shirty

Exactly - and that was no slight on X404 at all - after all, it was designed to be somewhere for the refugees to keep in touch ;)

13. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Exactly.

Although we're always looking for fresh blood to expand the gene pool

14. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

X404 and Bit-tech are the only two sites I am guaranteed to visit every day. I visit plenty of others, but not with the same frequency. There you go Dennis, you now know the majority of my browsing habits, leave me the f**k alone.

Adblocker isn't the answer, as far as I'm concerned. Although, I won't rule out using it in the future, especially if this trend continues; but it's a bit "fire and forget" so, even if the ad content reduces to a more acceptable level for those of us who want to support the site, the vast majority of adblock users will never know.

I'm still hoping for some kind of middle ground compromise here.

15. noizdaemon666

I've only just started adblocking due to the seriously annoying banner ad at the bottom. No other ad annoys me, in fact they give me something to watch whilst I procrastinate endlessly. No banner ads=no adblocking, from me at least.

Edit: Hmmm, just turned adblock off and no banner has appeared. If it stays like that, you have my complete browsing habits support :D

16. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

please remove the office360 ad banners that play music and pop up

there is also some times an slider bar that slides into view as well (does not affect my norm pc as them sites are blocked)

17. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Fair enough; I appreciate the response. Since this is the feedback thread, rather than just rant I would like to add that I don't terribly mind the ad that pops up on the bottom. Perhaps it could be a few pixels thinner, but since I have a relatively large monitor it doesn't take up so much room that I can't read the forum.

For those who are complaining about the ad, how much of the viewing space does it cover?

18. noizdaemon666

A fair amount given I view the forum mostly on my phone or on 1366x768 displays.

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

One advantage of the iPhone = no Flash adverts. :D

20. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

I will add my name to the thread to suggest the removal of invasive adverts.

Pop ups and banners that run over the actual content of the website are pretty naff.

Gives a poor impression to new people to the site id imagine.