1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education What tools?

Discussion in 'General' started by longweight, 22 Mar 2013.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

In my opinion, C.K cutters and pliers are better than their Wiha equivalents. My C.K high voltage cutters, pliers and drivers were some of the most expensive tools in my box, but they're also the best. I wouldn't go past Wiha for interchangeable drivers and precision driver sets though. I have Wiha System 4 and System 6 interchangeable ESD sets, as well as a couple of small dedicated driver precision sets like torx, hex etc

2. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

This man is doing it right! A decent set of snips is vital. Multi screw driver, good long nose pliers and a gerber or such knife is all you need or most cabling jobs, the wire stripper shown earlier is a great bit of kit too, the coax/ethernet one.

3. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

CK Stuff does look very nice and is well within budget!

So far it looks like I need to get:

- Pliers / wire cutter / stripper all in one
    - Terminal driver
    - Small posidrive
    - Large posidrive
    - Fluke

Can anyone recommend a good quality small case for my tools? I will carry this with me everywhere in my backpack so it needs to be nice and small.

Thanks for all of the help so far!

4. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I use a set of squeeze strippers (where it auto-strips the wire) since I started having such issues with nerve damage, but I wish I had put them in my box a LOT earlier. They save me all kinds of time on really fiddly wiring jobs, and they'll strip anything up to Romex.

5. longweight

6. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

7. longweight

8. Unicorn

Knipex! All of my precision pliers and cutters are Knipex ESD. They are absolutely incredible, couldn't recommend their tools enough.

9. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

Another vote for Knipex gear here, Good stuff that lasts.

With the case try to buy something that doesn't draw too much attention to itself, you'd be surprised how often tools turn up "missing" even in a secure professional environment. Very few things at work are as annoying as opening your tool box and finding out someone has helped themselves to your kit.

One way to help mitigate the losses (at least where I work) is to ensure that those you work with know you buy your own gear, some people who think nothing of stealing from a big company will balk at stealing from an individual they know.

Sorry for the slight (and depressing) derail.

Last edited: 25 Mar 2013
  10. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

11. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

lol thought so! My wife was an ops tech for years before moving into H&S as an adviser so although I have never worked in the industry I have an idea of how seriously they take H&S. You can argue it comes down to money but the work force are the most valuable asset so it pays to look after them, plus your in an environment where one mistake can have serious consequences for everyone else.

12. Unicorn

+1 for this. iFixit have a very good selection of tools for small electronics repairs - stuff you might find it hard to get elsewhere. I only bought the linked pro-tech kit to put in my aforementioned Pelican 0450 mobile kit because it saves space, but having seen the quality of the tools included in it, I intend on ordering a lot more stuff from iFixit in the future. They really have put a lot of thought into what tools they stock and seem to strive to get high quality tools for their kits all the time.

I know that feel, bro :( I "lost" one of the best 1/4" drive tamper proof security bit sets money can buy a couple of months ago and I know exactly where it went missing. I'm also missing one of the best flashlights from my site kit at the moment, although that might turn up. I know I'll never see the bit set again.

Last edited: 25 Mar 2013
  13. longweight

14. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Well I don't do a whole lot of repair work, but I just got sick and tired of those "Precision screw driver" sets from the cheap mega-stores which would break and strip screws to no end. As Unicorn said the quality is astounding. I was very impressed for just 60 dollars.

15. longweight

The draper set that I have been using has been absolutely brilliant for £9!

16. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

One other item to add to your tool set is a pair of safety glasses that you find comfortable and get on with. Lots of companies now insist safety glasses are worn on site and it's better to provide your own than make do with the ones that they may provide.

17. barny2767

barny2767 What's a Dremel?

Here's my wire cutters and a screw and m4 bolt they can cut through. I used to cut 8AWG PTFE wire at my last job with them because the ones they supplied are crap.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the poor phone pic.

18. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I basically have spent way more money on a large assortment of pliers than I'd like to admit.

Also dentistry tools are rather effective at electrician work, most of the tiny pliers, blades and tweezers are absolutely fantastic for electrical work.

Never underestimate a good screwdriver, it will save your sanity. My preferred one. An electrical battery powered screwdriver made by panasonic. It's like 20 years old now, but it's so good.

Compact and torquey.

19. longweight

Ok so I went with some Knipex cutters and a VDE Wera set :D

I now need a good soldering set up for soldering to PCB's and LED tape. Budget is around £60, what would you recommend?

20. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Knipex and Wera! My favourites :D I have too many wera screwdrivers. I have laser tips, chisel tips, stainless steel set, ratchet screwdriver - I went a bit wera mad. They make great things!

Well I have 4 soldering irons, 18w, 30w, 60w and an SMD reword station, I think I got the 18/30/60 collectively for cheaper than 60 quid, they were maybe 15 - 20 quid an iron, my smd rework station which has a temp controlled iron and a hot air blaster was about 100 quid, I can't remember what it's called though as It's on one of my sites at the moment - am planning on picking it up soon but will try remember with the help of the internets!