1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Allegedly is the key word you unfortunately missed.

Did a detective not come out earlier saying it was a random mugging gone wrong? I may of misread it and will happily admit so as I was working but based on the headline and the brief snippet I swear that's what was said.

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I feel this might be tangentially relevant:

(Context)

See also: mental health. Attitudes towards mental health have generally been changing, and continue to change, in the last decade or so. As we collectively gain a better understanding of mental health we get better at identifying and diagnosing it; as a consequence, more and more people are diagnosed with mental health issues. See also autism and autism spectrum disorders: the reason that more people are being diagnosed as being "on the spectrum" is because we're collectively getting better at understanding and recognising autism spectrum disorders. (And it's got f--- all to do with vaccines, don't even get me started on that - look up herd immunity, just stop being a d--- and get your f---ing kids vaccinated ffs.)

Like any other medical condition, two cases are rarely alike: some people can manage their mental health themselves, some people need medication to help them "smooth out" their mood swings, some people need psychotherapy, some people need all of the above, and so on. The bigger issue here is how badly mental health services have been gutted and how difficult it is to access treatment. Some people might end up on anti-depressants for a long time because they can't access any other kind of treatment; some people might be just fine with anti-depressants and might not need any other treatments; some people self-medicate with illegal drugs or alcohol (although we start to get into the realms of dependency and addiction here, which is a sticky subject to say the least).

Mental health issues like anxiety, depression, stress, and whatever else, aren't "just" mental health issues - they are health issues. "Mental health" makes for easier classification and diagnosis, but it also makes it easy for people to dismiss with the "it's all in your head" rebuke. It's "in your head" in as much as "this is a health issue which primarily affects your brain", but that doesn't make it any less "real" or physical than any other health issue.

It's all well and good being glib and sarcastic on the internet (not an accusation, I hasten to add), but this is by no means an easy topic.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I think you have misunderstood what I meant, man. I think a couple of others have too, and that would be my fault. I am not the best at getting out what I am thinking.

OK, so basically "being depressed and singing moody songs and hating on life, 'yo" has become the in thing now. Think about how many people are listening to this music, and how popular it seems to be becoming. Are you seriously telling me that all of these people buying this music are mentally ill? and all of the artists? I think you don't understand what I meant, sort of in the way that some of this clearly *is not* depression but just the modern trend. That is the trend now. Take loads of prescription medication meant solely for the mentally ill even though there really isn't anything wrong with you at all. I used to work in a call centre, and whilst there I worked with three kids. They were about 18 then. Over the years on Facebook I watched them go from bubbly normal kids to "Popped a couple of Xannys yo" and dressing in black clothes etc.

I think a lot of people at that age think they are depressed. Like, "FML" and all that stuff. You do, however, usually grow out of it unless you are like me. I am very mentally ill. Four quite severe mental illnesses, which I take four quite severe medications for. I have no intention of "mis-using" my medication and I take it for every one else but me. What I mean by that is, so that my mother doesn't have to witness me having one of my meltdowns, screaming at the top of my lungs and punching holes in her doors. So all of this fat everything else? that is what I have to do. I *want* to be well. I fight for that. I take the medication I need, not what I want to abuse. There is an enormous difference between mental illness and substance abuse, is what I am getting at.

4. Vault-Tec

Well that is guns for you, and the ease of pulling a trigger. Me? I got mugged when I was 12. Only I guess I was lucky, because I "only" got a ratchet knife stuck to my throat.

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

So you are genuinely ill but these other people aren't?

And there's a massive difference between listening to moody music and suffering from depression, of course there is, but who is claiming that everyone listening to this stuff is claiming to have depression? That's a strawman entirely of your own construction and no-one else in this thread has made that assertion. People have been listening to "depressing" music for decades, (see for example the Smiths reference earlier) without anyone claiming that they were suffering from depression.

The problem that I have is that, despite your explanation, it seems that you are still trying to minimise and disparage other people's claims of mental illness. You must realise how damaging it is to those suffering from mental health problems to be told that there's nothing wrong with them that pulling their socks up or growing out of it won't fix?

MLyons likes this.
  6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You sure you're just not jumping on the bandwagon?

For clarity: your comments in this thread have been ill-advised at best and reprehensible at worst. You are not the only person in the world to suffer from mental illness, and you have no special abilities when it comes to discerning whether another sufferer is genuinely struggling or just putting it on.

I understand that your particular mental health issues can make it difficult for you to empathise with others, but as someone who has had more than his fair share of slack cut - or shall we discuss your previous, banned account? - I expect you to either be more understanding or more silent.

The only reason this post isn't coming with the reinforcement of a week-long ban to reflect on your behaviour is because my password manager is upstairs and I can't be bothered to get it. Consider yourself lucky.

Here endeth the whisky-fuelled lesson.

MLyons likes this.
  7. Vault-Tec

Are they? have you seen proof they are mentally ill then? have they gone for diagnosis and regularly visit a mental health centre?

I have had a few very close friends over the years. As it turned out they were mentally unwell also. Take Colin for example. Went out of his mind (schizo apparently according to his doc) and tied a rope around his neck and jumped out of a tree. Then two years later another friend of mine tied some electrical cable around his neck and hung himself in the shower.

There are two types of mentally ill people. 1. Those that recognise it, and have the ability to be open about it and seek help for it. And, 2. Those who suspect there may be something wrong with them and do nothing, or, are simply so ill they don't even know what they are doing. Like Colin, for example, who was so bad that toward the end he was going to the doctor *every day* about a snoring problem that in reality didn't exist. He became so paranoid that he was keeping people awake he slept above the computer shop in an office for a month before he killed himself.

Unfortunately, especially for my generation, we were taught never EVER to show weaknesses and sit down and talk about how we feel. The only reason I can is probably because my father died and I was raised by my mother.

8. Vault-Tec

If I have upset any one I apologise. I can't say more than that with regards to upsetting people. As I said, I knew who this guy was (because a lot of people on Facebook were going on about him). Like this, for example.

Mugshot of Onfroy in October 2016, later used to promote his song "Look at Me"
    In 2014, Onfroy was sent to a youth detention center for a year on gun possession charges.[13][4] According to him, during his time in detention, the district attorney was attempting to try the artist as an adult for gun possession charges which Onfroy said would have had a sentence of 5–10 years in prison.[13]

In July 2016, he was arrested and charged with robbery and assault with a deadly weapon.[24][25] According to the arrest report, Onfroy entered the home of Che Thomas with three other people, armed with a firearm. After pistol-whipping Thomas three times, Onfroy escaped the home with an iPad, an iPhone, a Sony PlayStation Portableand $20.[179] Onfroy was arrested in Orlando originally until he was transferred to Orange County.[8]

After posting the bail of $10,000[180] in early October of the same year, while awaiting trial, the rapper was arrested again later that month on charges of false imprisonment, witness tampering, and aggravated battery of a pregnant victim.[26][181] On March 26, 2017, Onfroy was released from jail on bail[33][182] while facing charges of robbery and assault with a deadly weapon. His trial for aggravated battery of a pregnant victim was originally going to take place in May 2017 and was pushed back several times, and was set to take place on October 5, 2017.[183] On September 8, 2017, Pitchfork leaked the victim testimony of Geneva Ayala, the victim in Onfroy's aggravated battery case.[184] The trial was then delayed again[185] with a date of December 11, 2017, announced.[186] Controversy arose once again following Onfroy's choice to donate $100,000 to domestic violence prevention programs[187] and then further when Onfroy announced an event to support rape victims though it was later cancelled due to vandalism.[188]

Onfroy's trial was delayed again after an affidavit was filed asking for the charges to be "completely dropped".[189] The victim in the case also declined to testify in court. In reaction, the prosecution moved to split the case into two, with witness tampering charges filed against Onfroy and a new trial date announced for December 15, 2017.[190]On December 10, 2017, Onfroy posted a message to Instagram, writing "Court date is on the 15th 9:00 am here is my court information, if I am taken into custody, I want to tell everyone I've let down I apologize, I tried my best, I really did...";[191] he then released the information of the court hearing.[192]

Onfroy pleaded not guilty on December 14, 2017, and was taken into pretrial custody after a motion was filed by the prosecution on the grounds of Onfroy having violated his bond.[193] He was held without bail.[194] It was confirmed on December 20, 2017, that Onfroy was being released on house arrest.[195] Onfroy was released from house arrest on March 21, 2018.[196] Shortly after being released from house arrest, a video surfaced of Onfroy hitting a woman in 2013.[197] Onfroy's attorneys claimed the video, which shows Onfroy dancing to some music before striking the girl, was in jest.[198] Onfroy also claimed afterwards that he was afraid he was going to be financially extorted by the woman and already was called by her family members requesting money.[199] The woman attacked by Onfroy in the video came forward several days later saying she was "terrified for her life".[200]

-------------------

OK, so maybe I just don't understand, but he really doesn't sound like a very nice person to me. Now sure, it sucks he has been shot and killed, but to me he just seems like a bad guy. Am I supposed to be OK with that?

9. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I'm sorry, but what is this? You are making the assertion that people, and I quote
    So, to turn your question on its head: what evidence do you have that these people are not mentally ill, given that you are the one making the assertion? Don't bother answering, because the actual answer is absolutely none whatsoever.

Honestly, I find this really distasteful. You have your problems, and I truly sympathise with you, but the fact that you seem convinced that other people do not suffer from their own problems is pretty offensive, to be honest. You should know better. It offends me, and upsets me, that you would look to minimise other people's mental health issues and that you would try to turn it all back on to you being really unwell yourself as if it's some sort of competition.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I don't know if you noticed, but I said nowt about whoever the hell that guy was.

Congratulations: you finally encouraged me to get off my arse and get my password manager. Have a week off, which you'll hopefully spend reflecting on what people were actually upset about. Hint: it's not your opinion on the crimes or otherwise of the deceased individual, whoever the heck he was.

11. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Guys, can this not be spun into a Serious thread if you want to continue down this thread? I personally don't care about any side of the discussion stemming from the death of that low life rapper dude and don't particularly want to read it.

Like, rewind this thread 24 hours and post about other stuff that's ruining our life today.

Last edited: 20 Jun 2018
  12. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Er, don't read it then? Just let your eyes skip over the posts. :)

13. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

But don't do it to emails from your boss :worried:. Back on topic. Microsoft Edge and CSS. Is it me or is Edge just IE with a tweaked UI? I'm trying to achieve an effect and it works flawlessly... in everything but edge.

14. Zoon

Fair point, just posting here because it's ruining my life today ;)

bawjaws and MLyons like this.
  15. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

What's ruining my life right now? This thread :(

16. Zoon

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I was about to do exactly that.

Someone has gained access to a catalogue account of mine and used it fraudulently. They tried to order 2x Xbox One S consoles to some address in London, and changed the email address associated with the account. Suffice it to say that the orders are cancelled, the email address has been changed back, and the password has been changed; however it really doesn't inspire confidence when two different people gave me two different telephone numbers for their fraud department (not to mention the fact that their fraud dept closes at 4pm ffs). Unluckily for whoever this d---head is, however, I have the email and postal addresses that they used - if you're going to try and defraud me then try harder.

18. MLyons

19. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

IE -> Trident
    Edge -> EdgeHTML

EdgeHTML is actually pretty decent rendering engine but none of the hacks and/or browser-specific prefixes to work around IE/Trident's quirks will work in Edge... because Edge is not IE...

PMs are open if you need a hand, want a second opinion or want to rant on the matter.

Hex likes this.
  20. MLyons

If I havn't sorted it tomorrow by lunch I probably will. I'm tempted to make a developer/professional thread as it seems there are more developers,sysadmins or IT "professionals" on here than I thought.