1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Anti inflammatory things are needed. An give Amber a kick tell her to more them :hehe::idea:

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I thought I pulled a muscle in my ribs a few years ago - I had the mother of all coughs, and there was a pang. Over the next week or so it got worse, and then it got much worse, and then it reached the point where I voluntarily went to see the GP for the first time in... maybe forever?

Got sent immediately to the hospital for an x-ray and it turns out I hadn't pulled a muscle at all, I had broken a rib. Also got told off as there was a apparently real risk of a pneumothorax aka punctured lung.

So yeah, maybe worth a visit to a medical professional if it keeps getting worse.

Almightyrastus and MLyons like this.
  3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Ugh stress. That's why I've been so quiet because I didn't want to bite any one's head off :(

Builder came on Tuesday. I really didn't want to let any one in here at all. Any way, he seems OK. The way he was talking was that he was going to redecorate the entire flat, run dehumidifiers etc. At my expense, no doubt. Any way I thought it was all a bit odd. Then the stupid part of me said "Well maybe she's finally doing the right thing". Nope !

Phone went off at 11am and woke me up. It was her. First time I have spoken to her on the phone in two years. She wants me out. However, she's obviously far less intelligent than she thinks she is because she was saying things like "It may be very dusty in there" etc. So what she is saying is I stay here like a ****, pay the rent whilst it's all being done up and then she chucks me out. Any way I agreed to it (but it won't all be her way like she thinks). I said that if she wanted me out I need a section 21 notice. End of. That she would need to go through the courts etc etc. She finally agreed. So not only do I juggle all that stress, and fighting off the builder (I'm not letting them come in here doing that, my PCs would be destroyed !) I also don't know about housing from the trust yet. I did shoot them an email, and they said they are meeting on Monday. So I have basically held everything off until then, then I will weigh up my next move.

If I don't get housed via the trust I need to basically stick firm and go through the eviction process to be made homeless.

That said even though the stress is keeping me awake until 6am I did promise myself that this year, be it by hook or by crook, I would sort out my housing situ and get out of here. So at least that will be happening in some shape or form for definite now.

I did ask for help with all of this from the trust. Her reply was not to say anything to my landlady at all. Good news? I dunno. It's all very cloak and dagger lol.

Now I need to start playing "Stalling the builder". I hate to mess him around, but I am done rolling over and just letting people take the piss.

[ZiiP] NaloaC likes this.
  4. Vault-Tec

Have received the first informal section 21. Waiting for the proper paper one through the mail now.

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Any news on the place you went to look at?

You have to have a minimum of 2 months notice from the date you receive the notice to the day they want you to leave.

I presume you know this stuff but this may be handy for you https://www.advicenow.org.uk/guides/how-deal-section-21-eviction-notice

There are loads of reasons why it can be invalid from
    to
    or
    It's worth a read, I think it's a charity that runs the site :)

6. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

So on the night it bucketed down with rain, which then turned to snow, my car managed to lock itself with the keys on the backseat... And an unhappy 3 month old baby in the car seat next to them.

Cue much panic, much cold and much frantic phone calls.

End result? Brick unto drivers window, many glass pieces and a bill this morning of £198 for the repair (though Autoglass wanted £317!).

Lucky I didn't have to pay council tax this month, eh?

IanW and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  7. Vault-Tec

Yes. Sorry to only be the bearer of bad news. I got an email the other day out of the blue entitled "Flat Update". A hint? not sure. It said they had heard back from my mental health centre and would keep me updated.

Then this morning I got another email telling me they were meeting on Monday (the trust). Again no bad news in sight, but sadly lots and lots of stress. The emails have been very positive, though. No negativity *at all* and she has dropped some hints I reckon. I'll post it here verbatim as I suck at explaining things..

Andrew

I would not advise responding at the moment. I am trying to get a decision from you from the Trust. However this requires a few people to meet and it looks like this will not happen until Monday. If we are able to offer you a property and I hope we are, we will help with notifying the owner.

*name and trust removed*

That is what she said to me about my landlady and the decorator etc. Nothing, do nothing. So if you read that between the lines it basically says ignore her, we're meeting Monday, offer you a property hope we are etc. That's positive right? I know there's ifs and stuff in there but she has to keep it quiet until Monday. However, the final yes or no was down to my mental health centre. And they've heard from them, so I am pretty sure that if it were a no then I would have gotten it already.

I then forwarded her the section 21 email I got (few reasons, but mainly because my landlady has showed *her* hand and given me an address no one has ever heard of. Is that where she has been hiding? probably. Any way I forwarded that on to the trust because she told me they will serve her notice (again very positive). She then replied and asked if she could call me and did. She ran me through a few things. I said I was no good at communicating as I say things I shouldn't and etc and she's basically told me to leave it to them. So again I would find it odd for her to do that, then come back to me next week and basically tell me I'm up a creek etc.

It's all unknown. Which is why not only have I had my anti depressant raised but I am also taking infrequent doses of Diazepam, as ASD people do not do the unknown and change very well. That's why I've been staying away from forums etc. Just trying to get the days to pass as quickly as possible. My brother is coming down from Caterham on Saturday. I can't wait. Not seen him since last November. He couldn't make it for my birthday either (last weekend) so yeah, totally stoked. We never really had a brother relationship. Well, we did for 7 years, then my father died and he tried fathering me. So we butted heads and fought *a lot* because another thing autistic people don't do too well is being told what to do and bossed around. So it was only about five years ago we had a heart to heart and since then? yeah proper brother.

adidan, IanW and Wakka like this.
  8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

On of my neighbours once locked themselves out of their house... smashing the window was the preferred method of entry as a glazier was quicker and cheaper than a locksmith.

9. Mister_Tad

https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com

It gets even better.

So on the surface what's happened is that they had a bunch of SSDs in a presumably-not-flash-aware RAIDset and in what should have come as a surprise to absolutely nobody, they all started wearing out at around the same time.

They need to work on their PR... should have stated "a series of catastrophic hardware failures" and left it at that. I'm not sure if they think their updates will engender support and donations, but I'm cringing at every one of them.

I'm off to have a look at Keepa.

10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

FWIW I read that all as very positive. In fact the section 21 (valid or not it doesn't really matter) should even help you in the property hunt I reckon.

Fingers crossed but, yeah, I read that positively and it sounds like you have soneone there looking out for you which is a good thing.

But I know saying try to relax is easier than actually trying to relax :)

At least with your bro visit it'll provide some distraction.

11. Vault-Tec

Yeah like I said even to a pessimistic c**t like me it's just full of positives. The wink I got from another lady there before whispering in my mother's ear "Don't worry, I can be very persuasive" and other stuff. Like, so far this has been going on what? about 5-6 weeks? well why haven't they let some one else have the flat? why haven't they broken any bad news? that was the last one in the building (trust me they went quick, they are like Hilton suites). I mean they know how much I fell in love with it. To hold it that long?

So yeah as I say all very positive. Sadly my brain? doesn't work that way. Like ffs, I will be sitting there laughing one minute, then my brain throws me a black curve ball and before I realise it I am having a panic attack about it (cue Diazepam). It's tough man. Super, super tough. Oh yeah, that same lady who whispered that to my mother came around to see (and feel, the kitchen is like a freezer) the flat and told me they were still holding the flat I love.

So I just threw myself into bike building mode (scouring the internet for period correct 90s parts etc) and then building it, whilst giving pretty much anything that isn't strictly necessary to my mates lol. I've also thrown out a lot, and, found the stand for my 65" TV I thought I had thrown away. You're not allowed to wall mount anything in this flat I love, but I can totally understand why. I mean, it's stunning. I need to declutter and just have what I need. I am very good at that (extremes, I either hoard or I throw it all in the bin).

lmao even though my landlady was acting like she was doing the world a favour kicking me out I did get her to say "I am saying this here, not in email, as I don't want to leave a paper trail". She too played the memory game with some one autistic, and realised I had kept and generated PDF files of all of her emails, texts and so on. And she was well defeated lmao. :D

IanW and adidan like this.
  12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

And people look at me crazy when I say "hey, you might not want to build your RAID array out of completely identical drives all bought at exactly the same time."

I'mma save a copy of that page for next time someone questions me on that...

EDIT: Oh, and bonus points for the fact that they appear to be replacing the whole array with completely identical drives all bought at exactly the same time. What's the commonly-accepted definition of "insanity" again?

Mister_Tad and MLyons like this.
  13. Mister_Tad

I don't think anyone looks at you like you're crazy... at least not because of that ;)

With spinning disk there's clearly a risk due to a bad batch, but I think sourcing them all from different places/batches/manufacturers is belt and braces more than anything. Yes it's a possibility, but it's relatively slim. Whilst I planned to spread my latest array out, in the end I went with one batch simply due to logistical challenges - I couldn't wait weeks/months for them, they're relatively hard to come by with availability from any vendor from only a few suppliers, not all willing to sell singles, and would have ended up costing way more.

If one fails or starts to exhibit maladies, I may crank my backup intervals up a few notches due to this, but generally not worried about it. It's a risk management exercise really.

With SSD though, in the same non-flash-optimised RAIDset, they will definitely all start to fail at the same time. By design. It's not a risk to manage, it's an ironclad guarantee.

I feel like the $2000 they spent on the two spares may have been better spent on a a handful of large HDDs for a replica.

Last edited: 31 Jan 2019
  14. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Just out of curiosity, what kind of disks are they using if they're £1000 a disk?

15. Mister_Tad

860 Pros, I'd assume 4TB based on the cost, although the blurb speaks of flying them to site rather than waiting for a shipment to save time, so they could be figuring that cost into it as well.

16. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Something like this, probably

17. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

I hope their data recovery goes better than my recent experience else that's 29k down the drain.

18. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I woke up at 5, felt awake, went back to sleep. It actually wasn't too bad, but now I'm home and feel knackered.

Ordering pizza today.

The_Crapman likes this.
  19. Vault-Tec

They opened a Papa John down the road from me. My life shall never be the same :D the only place in the UK that does proper, US diner style Jalapeno Poppers. I'm so addicted to those and pizza sauce to dip them in *rubs big fat tummy*

perplekks45 and Arboreal like this.
  20. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

When I lived with my brother some 15 years ago, we frequented papa John's so often, the manager would do us the any pizza for a tenner and bogof. I had one a while back and it was vile, a meat feast where the toppings looked like cat biscuits. The cheapo place over the road from the papa Johns was far nicer.