Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

And as if by magic, I've recently had to take down a coat rack that I'd obviously used the matchstick trick on before. That was a fight indeed (more so because the screw head was stripped).

They just didn't want to give up those 88s.

This one the screw came out of with less issues:
    [​IMG]

This one had the Matchsticks of Power in:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It definitely works.

Pete J, IanW and perplekks45 like this.
  2. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

Boss on sick leave. Directors thinking im more qualified than i am, home stresses. Anti depressants and anxiety meds upped. Merry xmas .

3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Side light goes on my car, no problem, I've got a spare. Confidently pull out the fitting, there's no bulb, where's the fecking bulb gone? Look down into the headlight, there's the fecking bulb, sat in the bottom of the headlight assembly. ************! New sidelight fitted, old bulb still in the headlight, taunting me.

I'll get to removing it properly, at some point.

4. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Not exactly ruining my life, I officially quit the speedway team up here... it's been coming. Won't listen, will go broke in months. Years wasted really. They won't miss me because I say what I think and have been 100% right with everything that transpired up until now.

5. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

It is not usual that I have a rant about work stuff, I mostly keep my head down and get on with things, come in, do my hours, and go home. I have nothing to do with stock, costings, or sales other than providing the technical support needed to customers and our reps. This works fine for me and long may this continue.

HOWEVER...

This can only work when people follow the structures that are in place when it comes to the support documentation that I need to work with...

We have 2 main drives set up, 1 for departments such as Technical for controlled technical product development information - restricted access and so on, and one general shared drive that happens to have an uncontrolled product technical support section in it, useful, but not always reliable and it is up to guys like me to make sure that items in there get changed as and when they are needed.

Hopefully it should be obvious to people here that a section of a drive that is controlled should be just that, controlled and up to date with in progress files, obsoleted sections for old documents, and so on. Apparently this is not the case where I work. I have just sent out some datasheets and instructions to a client after carefully checking with the controlled documents section that these are the current ones contained in there. Great, happy client now looking to add these to the specification for the project, but they had a question.

Fine, no worries there, that is what I am here for. So I explained that I shall go and ask the R&D guys about that particular feature as it is on a product that we don't get asked about a lot. The reply I get back is that those two products "have been obsolete for years"...

Why the fudge are the datasheets and instructions still in the controlled section and production datasheets folders?!?!?!

Now I have to go back to the client and look like a muppet with "oh, sorry, those products that I sent you and spent time explaining, and suit your problem perfectly are obsolete, please forget those emails and discussions".

Really not happy with certain sections of our R&D teams at the moment. We are going to be having a couple of meetings when we get back after new years to try and sort this out, great, but I kinda needed those datasheets today.

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Meat automaton is failing...
    Technological sanity-keepers are failing...
    Little wins feel pyrrhic at best...

But I'm not here so don't ask me... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Finally got all my medical records back:

5 year old kid walks in the doctors office in no pain, but a slight eye protrusion.
    No indication if removing the eye and tumor was ever discussed, but it's decided that radiation should be administered immediately (normally it's chemo first)
    After 10 days of radiation treatments, CT scan shows tumor 'resolved'.
    Doctors say "protocol is 22 days, continue radiation treatment"
    Doctors say, (protocol again) "We'll do the chemo rounds designed to shrink tumors before radiation and the chemo rounds administered after radiation" (11 f*&^king months)

Between the radiation and the attempt to get the biopsy, I ended up basically blind in that eye (20/210).
    Missed a good chunk of my first year of school and when I was there, I was completely bald. Children are mercilessly cruel and remember for a long time.
    Finally think I'm starting to put the past behind me after elementary school, but no, now I get to find out that radiation severely effects bone growth. Turns out children and adults are mercilessly cruel.

It blows my mind that one universal thing we all seem to agree on is that child abuse is bad, yet this sort of crap gets a free pass. Everybody says I should just be happy I'm alive, but I think that's just a bunch of bul|sh|t to avoid the fact that human life is just the sum of experience to date. It would have been much more humane to let me die as a happy child than a miserable adult.

Only bright side is the internet became a thing, so I got to hide in computers and hang out with you folks.

Pete J likes this.
  8. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Phone sold on eBay, 80% off fees so not so bad. Buyer pays right away for a change. Great, get a bit of cash for Christmas, only eBay decides it needs to verify my bank account again and now have to wait 48 hours "because they've changed". They've not changed, they're the same, you insisted on me verifying them again. Twatz.

9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

So as well as the usual cat-terrifying explosives being handled by drunken twats, something around here somewhere is making a high-pitched noise. It’s not coming from inside my house, it’s definitely something outside but damned if I know what it is. It’s like a constant tinnitus. I can hear it in every single room of the house and it’s been going on for twelve. ****ing. hours.

10. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I remember this happening to me, even opening the front door at 3am listening to the street. It turns out I did have tinnitus :grr:

11. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Can anyone else hear the noise? If they can’t, it’s probably tinnitus. I’ve had tinnitus so long now it’s like an old, though not very good, friend.

perplekks45, adidan and ElThomsono like this.
  12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Definitely not tinnitus. My other half and one of the neighbours who was out walking their dog could hear it. Had to sleep with the fan on as well as quiet chilled out music. Didn’t stop until about 5/6am.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Could be a nearby electricity substation?

adidan likes this.
  14. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Or somebody using Henry the hoover for... Something.

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Only if they have the... "special" attachment! :naughty:

perplekks45 and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  16. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Not so much ruining, but more annoying.

We have a cob van that turns up at work at 11am or just after and has an ice cream van sort of chime that gets played to announce the arrival. Now we don't always hear the chime as the new driver only plays about 1 or 2 seconds of it at each end of the site. Not too bad in the summer when the windows are open, but the folks that are located in the back of the office midway along the site don't tend to hear it when the windows are closed and the heating is on (horribly noisy water pumps, but hey at least these ones work...).

Not normally a problem as I head downstairs at 11 and the van arrives around then or shortly after depending on traffic. Doesn't work when the van arrives early and you arrive downstairs at 11 to see the van driving off...

That's me going hungry until I get home tonight... Ok sure I could go out at lunchtime, but I only get 45 mins.

Hungry and miserable already and it's not even lunchtime on the first day back in the office.

17. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Stone decided it wanted some quality alone time with my wife's MG4 Windscreen causing a lovely spiderweb of cracks to appear from the impact site. Going through insurance (as you do) but initial replacement window has been cancelled as they can't get the Windscreen. That in itself isn't a major problem, these things happen. The bigger issue is they have no ETA from MG on when a new one will be available. May be tomorrow may be in 3 months. Also reading online it seems a mixed bag on whether we also need to schedule the car to go back to the MG dealer to have everything recalibrated which can delay things even more (seems 50/50 on whether this can be done in house by the company replacing the windscreen).

18. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Never had that kind of problem when cars were simpler...

xaser04 and adidan like this.
  19. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I had the same thought when our automatic gearbox through threw a wobbly.

E: Just like my brain

Last edited: 2 Jan 2024
  20. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

A new windscreen will definitely require the camera calibration re-doing, probably by the dealership.
    I expect the delay in supply is down to the Houthi rebels attacking shipping off Yemen lately.

xaser04 likes this.