Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. oscy

oscy Modder

Was going to go to London and a fancy hotel for her birthday, but 'luckily' I checked a few minutes before the deadline that the expensive hotel were going to take payment, and Chiltern have stopped all trains because of signalling issues on top of the 'landslip'.

I hate Chiltern so much. I'm sure all train companies are the same, but they've stolen money from me before because of their website bugs, so I hate Chiltern.

I didn't buy insurance for the tickets I bought for a thing though, yet Ticketmaster also aren't allowing resale for an undescribed reason, so that money is wasted.

Edit: realised could take a coach for 2 hours, so rebooked hotel and now for a horrible coach journey where I get car sick

Edit edit: Chiltern ain't gonna advertise a competitor so didn't mention GWR are completely fine with their train, so gonna use that instead.

Didn't turn out too bad I guess, yet.

Last edited: 13 Jan 2024
  2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Coughing, really painful.
    Nose is blocked.
    Headaches, caused by the neck muscles feeling like granite.
    Temperature, 38.5-39.5 since yesterday morning.

I feel like crap.

3. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Just back from 4 weeks with my family in the UK. Man, where do I even start.

18mo didn't sleep a full night the entire time we were there.
    The matress on my parents' spare bed must be pushing 20 years old by now. Just awful.
    My parents are close to functioning alcoholics
    My brother and his wife's relationship is hanging by a thread and they just sucked the life out of any room they were in (and it sounds like my brother is a massive dickhead)
    Other brother is a bit of a sexist pig.

All in all fun times. Back at work today on pretty much zero sleep as the little one is starting back at stage 1 with his jetlag.

4. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Oh, and I have my next allergist appointment in a week which means no antihistamines till then. On hayfever struggle street already and it's only day 1.

5. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Got a letter for jury duty, now I have to contact them to say I can't do it as I've got sever lower back pain and sciatica and I'm on the maximum 8 50 mg tramadol tablets per day, there is no way I can sit for hours without being in extreme pain.

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yep, I've been the same since Friday morning. Nose goes from blocked to running like a river, cough is pretty painful, everything aches, thumping headache. Been dosed up to the gills on flu remedies almost constantly - barely takes the edge off it.

It is marginally better this morning. Here's hoping it's finally abating.

perplekks45 likes this.
  7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Well, I'm somewhat better but nowhere near good.

The cough is still there and painful and extremely exhausting. At least, it doesn't taste like blood anymore when I cough. Temperature is a lot lower as well, though it refuses to drop below 37.1 for some reason. About to head out to a doctor's appointment.

8. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Classic family experience :lol:

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

It drags on in a lesser form for some time yet mate.

My OH wasn't fully right for about two weeks and she has a better immune system than me.

My nose finally stopped running about a week after the sinus pounding started.

Currently battered/10

E: Seems to vary from day to day. Nose not running today but the banging headache is back. Did that a few days ago before the nose started dripping like nonsense again.

No cough for me though, oddly.

@perplekks45 That sounds a bit coviddy what with the temperature. Then again it also sounds like flu.

10. David

Wow, that sounds like bags of fun.

Friday was the onset - poor sleep and and steady decline through the morning. Saturday was utter shite. I was off work Sunday, so I just dosed up, drank lots of fluid and took it easy. Today started with some promise, but quickly declined - longest day at work ever, and we were super busy all day until 4pm ish - the last couple of hours were excruciatingly long.

Thankfully, tomorrow is my other day off, so I'll be doing sweet FA.

The worst of it is the lack of sleep, as the congestion increases throughout the night, I can barely breathe through my nose at all; meaning no more sleep. I got home from work this evening, went upstairs to change and just passed out on the bed for an hour; then woke as my nose blocked up again.

Completely and utterly ****ing pigged off.

11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Same hymn sheet mate.

The only thing I found that could help give me a few hours before my nose woke me up was the Vicks nasal spray. It hits like acid in your nose but at least stopped me going completely mental.

E: I mean it does improve mate but for some reason it drags on before you start feeling like you're heading in the right direction.

Last edited: 15 Jan 2024
  12. David

I have a deviated septum and sleep apnoea - I've used Vicks Sinex Micromist spray daily for the last four years. No exageration.

If you want to REALLY enjoy yourself, try Vicks first defence cold and flu nasal spray. It's absolutely vile. I think it works by hitting your switchboard so ****ing hard that the flu symptoms feel like a welcome relief.

13. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Heat, humidity, lack of sleep.

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Meanwhile, in South Wales (the actual South Wales, not that “New” South Wales you’ve got over there)…

[​IMG]

Holy balls that is cold… Might even be too cold for the bike, if it’s icy out there. I’ll find out in a mo…

adidan likes this.
  15. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

-7 here currently. In bed still with a 15 tog duvet and the heating on.

16. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

-4℃ here, "feels like" -8℃ though.

17. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Look at he picture from Canada in the NSFW thread, then bear in mind propane boils at -42C…

18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Nah, it was fine. My fingers weren’t though, despite new winter gloves and heated grips on max…

Yeah, but I’m in Cardiff and I’m a stone’s throw from the coast (literally, walk 2 or 3 minutes from my office and you’ll be in a port). It’s not exactly known for cold and/or snowy weather here. Further up the Valleys it could be completely impassable with snow, but down here we’d get maybe a few inches that quickly turns to wet slush.

The temp readout on my bike was -5°C before I set off. It was still -3°C when I got to the office, and that’s after 30-odd minutes of warming up the temp sensor with low-speed riding.

Compared to what we’re used to here, it is b@stard cold! :lol:

19. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Much the same here in the west of Somerset. Further from the coast than you but, only about 150 feet up. In 12 years living in this part of county, -5C is unusually cold. I grew-up in the north of Somerset, on the Mendip Hills, back then -15C was not unknown. Still a long way from liquid propane weather though...

20. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

We got down to about -6 last night here on the Western edge of Nottingham, kinda chilly but nothing that was going to cause problems.

The coldest place I have ever been (aside from industrial freezers at -28) was in the mountains of Norway when I went to visit my uncle who lived over there. I spent a lot of my time there clearing snow and chopping wood in -22 and once you got into doing stuff it was fine as it was cold enough that it was very dry as well. The snow was powder and by the end of it I was starting off all wrapped up in a heavy coat, hat, gloves, etc, but I soon ditched the coat as I got warmer through activity. It did warm up later on though... to -14...