Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

You brute.

This is why I like dishwashers.

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I have this image of you hiding a hammer behind your back and saying "No idea how that broke, dear.".

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I have visions of Uncle Buck with the display plates.
    I have visions of Uncle Buck with the "unbreakable" display plates

Pete J likes this.
  4. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Sold up 11.5 months ago to "be closer to friends" and now renting in Sydney. Today the wife has floating moving to Melbourne!

5. oscy

oscy Modder

Our pervert asst manager is now grooming the new girl.

Previously when he did this, I didn't say or do anything, relying on the intelligence and integrity of people to not suddenly see someone as Jesus because they give them food. It resulted in the death of the workplace, moving to a new one and nearly my 'redundancy' had I not outsmarted HR with my 'administative contract error' ace up the sleeve I'd kept since starting.

But I'm just about to have my 2-year job anniversary, meaning now I have more rights, so I think it's time I have to start speaking out and embarrassing him. But it's not a comfortable thing to do.

6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

[​IMG]

Interested to know what your "admin error" was though...might be useful hive mind wisdom...

7. oscy

oscy Modder

I don't have to go all Punisher on him because he's actually gay and it's fake friendship he's grooming, to poison her against the workplace... as usual... But I do try to think, when I'm feeling like I need to verbally take him out, "what would Big Sexy Kevin Nash do?" with his DGAF attitude and confidence, and I do that instead. So there's a Punisher link after all!

All the error was was that HR put the wrong job title in my contract - sales assistant rather than stock co-ordinator. I never said anything, just signed it. A year later, not long after telling me to cover up his sexual harrassment, HR called / emailed and threatened me with redundancy by saying they didn't need a stock guy any more, just sales assistants. As I metaphorically walked towards the door, I wagged my finger and turned around... "there's just one thing, Ms. HR..."

8. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Wait a sec, is this the same one that was watching 'entertainment' at work? The mind boggles.

9. oscy

oscy Modder

Good memory.

Yeah he's been on the phallic websites a few times, HR 'investigated' and... nothing heard from again. They were shown evidence by the manager and the response was "but he could say you set it up" like he's some billionaire deviant with a team of top lawyers.

What happens when a pervert doesn't get punished for a relatively minor incident? They go further. Rubbing the boy temps, going shopping during shifts etc.

10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

That was quite a memorable thing!
    I've only ever encountered one person engaging in that kind of behaviour at work. He sent a bunch of explicit messages to a lady half his age and got a written warning for it, then shortly after he made a very unsubtle pass at the same lady in front of a bunch of patients. Complaints were made and he was gone inside 48 hours. The idea of him just getting away with it really does boggle my mind, sooner or later lawyers will come knocking.

11. oscy

oscy Modder

I guess when it starts involving customers, then it's a bad thing.

I read employee reviews and there's dozens about harrassment and bullying and fake investigations, so it's the culture.

My gf worked with a guy who sent D pics or something to a couple of 16yo coworkers. The girl quit, only because her parents found out, as she was actually ok with it.

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Coming down with something I think. My chest started feeling tight yesterday evening, now today I have quite a painful cough and I feel utterly rotten.

I’m not surprised I’ve picked something up. For a week I was in and out of a hospital multiple times a day, and when my other half was discharged last week she brought some kind of cold-type-thing home with her. I’ve been in to the office this week as well.

Earlier I spent a grand total of no more than an hour going to a pharmacy, B&Q, and Tesco. Totally wiped me out. Feel utterly exhausted now and just want to go back to bed. Honestly kinda feels like when I’ve had COVID in the past, I’ve still got some lateral flow tests here so I might do one tomorrow.

Last week I had to depart from a life-long tradition of not working on my birthday, because I had to take so much emergency leave when my OH was taken in to hospital. I’m still basically brand new in this job, I really can’t afford to take the piss. Despite feeling utterly balls however, I am still damn well getting a takeaway this evening and having a few beers while I watch some favourite films. It’s about time I watched The Martian again, and after talking about it in the films thread I might also watch D&D Hono(u)r Among Thieves.

13. adidan

My OH's mum's husband's cancer has spread to his lungs.

He had been doing pretty well, been pretty active, but a back, chest and shoulder pain got him scanned and it showed up.

Anyway, we'll see, there's no guarantees with the C.

14. David

Sorry to hear that, mate. The big C really is a C.

adidan likes this.
  15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

As our colonial friends are fond of saying, F*** C!

David and adidan like this.
  16. adidan

Cheers mate, we're not really that close but y'know it is family. Saw him in the summer and he was on good form considering.

But yeah, C always brings back memories of my dad. Frickin thing. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

17. David

Yeah, it was dad's birthday yesterday. It caught me by surprise.

18. adidan

I hear you mate.

Not sure with a parent it ever gets easier, you just learn to make room for it.

perplekks45 and David like this.
  19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

My dad died at 56 from cancer, 7 years ago now. Sometimes it feels like more than a decade has passed, and sometimes it feels like it’s only been 5 days.

Grief is like a box with a ball and a pain button in it. At first the ball is quite large; no matter how gentle you are, you can’t move the box without the ball hitting the pain button. Over time the ball gets smaller and it hits the button less often. It still hurts just as much when it does happen, but it doesn’t happen as often. The ball will probably never go away, but as it gets smaller over time you’ll have more time to recover between each hit. But sometimes it’ll hit when you least expect it to and it can be just as devastating as when the ball was bigger.

(Paraphrased from here.)

I’m really sorry to hear about that @adidan. All my best to you and your family.

xaser04, perplekks45 and adidan like this.
  20. adidan

Thanks @Byron C , I know what you mean. I've just realised it'll be 15 years since my dad died this year, sometimes it feels like it, other times like it was just a few weeks ago.

Anyway, you never know. My OH's mum's husband was diagnosed quite some time ago and has been living pretty normally since then. However, I think by the time you feel pain and it's in the lungs it's probably got a bit of a grip.