Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Technically he’s correct, they would have been “Northern Lights” just not an Aurora :lol:
    Was in Harrogate last week, spent a lovely day there.

Byron C likes this.
  2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

How bad were the other 6 days?

perplekks45, Byron C, Pete J and 2 others like this.
  3. Arboreal

:hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:
    Shock news, it's not all 'Grim up North'! I think they're keeping it secret to keep us soft southerners away...

We spent the rest of the week in and around York, which was amazing, especially with the summer weather we had last week.

The worst bit was (unsurprisingly) the M25/M3/M27 where we came to a standstill 4 times, adding an hour to the last leg from Hertfordshire.

adidan and IanW like this.
  4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Careful, we welcome visitors from the south but only on the condition that when they return they say that it's much better down South and nobody should think about moving here.

As a representative of the North Sea Empire this is your first diplomatic warning.

5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I wish visitors from the Midlands and the South East, would do the same when they return home, after visiting the West Country...

Arboreal likes this.
  6. Arboreal

Ok, Ok, I'll keep quiet and say no more! In return, please don't suggest that any more people come to Bournemouth and particularly Christchurch to retire... We have Eastbourne level demographics particularly in the latter,
    much of the population are 'silver tops' and it has a seemingly unshakeable majority of Tory voters...

Yes absolutely!

I haven't been to Cornwall for a long time and part of me feels guilty about going and contributing to the problem. My Dad grew up in Falmouth, so we have connections; but are equally horrified what has happened to the places we love in Cornwall and Devon. The housing market has been so distorted by second homes and holiday homes.

That said, it's happening all over the place.

My wife was horrified to see pictures of the beach towns in Thailand that our son was visiting earlier this year and remembers some of the places that now have high rise buildings as only having beach shacks 40 years ago.
    It is the same in Spain and the Balearics, with the rampant tourist development over running the coast.

There was a trail on Radio 4 this morning for The Tourist Trap, to be broadcast next Monday looking at just this problem. Also found a podcast from last year about Venice.

Mr_Mistoffelees and adidan like this.
  7. adidan

My mum moved a bit further along from there but she was born Southern so I think that's allowed (?). :happy:

My OH said similar about places from when she did a world trip in the 90's. Particularly Beijing, now that has changed!

Huh, think back, traveling with no mobile, no internet, no twitter, no Instagram... Glorious.

Arboreal likes this.
  8. Arboreal

I dread to think about Beijing looks like now, let alone Shanghai.

I was there in 1993 with friends and even then there were a lot of high rise buildings, which made us use the phrase "Is this Beijing or Beijingstoke?"

I guess that Shenzhen wasn't that big in '93; I just read that the population has gone from 300,000 to 17,000,000 in 40 years!!

Travelling for the first time in 1987 was a real adventure, and I was given money to call my parents once a week to say that I was OK. Postcards and airmail letters home were also in the mix.
    Contrast that with my son who is nearing the end of his 4 month trip round SE Asia, who was on a WhatsApp video call to us on Sunday from a Philippine island for 45mins! We can also see where he is and
    what he's been up to on his Polarsteps thread.

adidan likes this.
  9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

My memory.

Been seeing absolutely piss-poor data transfer rates between my NAS units, and between PC and the big NAS.

How the actual **** did I forget about jumbo frames? That's an entire afternoon I won't get back.

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Cretinous teenagers.

Dropping the missus off at work and a stone smashed through my drivers side window and struck me in the head. Glass everywhere, minor cuts and scrapes. I think it was a catapult, but despite collaring the two scrotes, I couldn't exactly conduct a search, and they had plenty of opportunity to ditch a catapult. Let's just say that I couldn't throw a stone with that much force, let alone a couple of kids.

The two scrotes in question are in the care of some local authority outreach programme, so immediately the manager is trying to lessen the severity due to ages and some kind of diminished responsibility; and claims neither of the two had a catapult in their possession. Really, ya think? She went on to say there was nothing she could do unless the police were involved. No problem, I sorted that wrinkle in short order.

Now, the important bit - getting the car sorted - AutoGlass rep said he couldn't find an appointment until sometime in July!! So he's marked it as urgent and the Concierge Team (WTF is that?) will be in touch to discuss options within the next few days! Seriously, a few days before bothering to discuss it? I lost my **** when he used the line guaranteed to push my buttons: "I'm just trying to manage your expectations". My expectation is you ****ing sort this in days, not ****ing weeks or months.

I am sooooo triggered right now.

11. adidan

@David Damn mate, that's mental.

Get plenty of photos. As for their age, sod that, legal responsibility starts at 10 and it sounds like they need a wake up call before they kill somebody.

E: That's photos of your injuries as well

IanW likes this.
  12. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

We have a problem with it here at mum's too. Only this lot? are girls.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/242...rested-since-sussex-police-started-operation/

They come from a council estate in Worthing. They come here, jump the barriers, and then just steal everything they can get their hands on. There is a video of them punching a rail policeman in the head.

When asked why the CPS won't prosecute they said, and I quote, "A conviction would ruin their lives".

We are too soft, and these little c*nts know it.

13. Vault-Tec

14. adidan

And no conviction will ruin other people's lives.

It's as bad as it seemed when we lived in NZ. "oh he may have beaten him half to death but he's good at rugby. Ok let him go."

15. Vault-Tec

Yup. As much as they think they are helping them they are not. Are they really going to turn into productive members of society? doubt it. Prolly cotched up somewhere with 8 kids drawing benefits for life.

Kids are not stupid. They know exactly what they can get away with. Like, a lot of my mates used to burgle houses until they turned 16. Deliberately knowing they would get away with it, and would not get a record for life.

Kids also like to push buttons to see how far they can go. There is no slap part any more.

16. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

And letting them keep doing this won't either?

17. Vault-Tec

18. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

The_Crapman, IanW and adidan like this.
  19. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Having a bit of a sad.

The ceo at kuka uk had messaged me after my last post on linkedin last Friday, said he just wanted to make sure I was ok and wasn't in anyway to do with his connection to kuka. I thought the term "connection" he used a bit odd, deemed it a fishing expedition and so exchanged some pleasantries with him and forgot about it. He messaged me again today, which I found eerily odd as I had been contemplating my next post to do today. Again he said he wanted to make sure I was ok, then tells me he left kuka in early march as he was fed up with the place. Ok, interesting.

So I tell him no I've felt a bit **** this week, realised while discussing it with a nurse friend of mine that all the abdominal pain issues I had last year were highly likely to have been caused by the stress that situation put on me, as no gallstones or ulcers were found. So not only had I been beaten into the ground so much I considered checking out, but it was severe enough to be physically manifested and cause enough pain to be hospitalised. He was shocked, he had been left in the dark about anything that had happened to me other than there was a situation and I was let go. If it had got to the point where the HR director had been drafted in, he should have been told, just like he had to step in with the other 2 (named but not shared here)..... The other 2!? :eyebrow: So yeh, turns out it wasn't just me, wasn't an isolated incident, and on 2 prior ones he had to get involved to ensure it was properly dealt with. Quite possibly why they kept him out of mine.

It's just relit that fire of anger at the injustice of it all, that there is clearly a problem with it there, so much so that the CEO has had to get involved and is then kept out of mine because they want to whitewash it. Just so ****ing angry.

That is now manifesting itself as hunger, or rather munchies. A desire for crisps and sweets and pop that I really should not be eating. Or I want to smoke, but that's becoming a dangerously frequent habit again. Yes let's replace obesity with lung cancer, that'll do it :rollingeyes:

I don't know what to do. I could go in with this new ammo all guns blazing, but where would that get me? Just more agitated and upset probably. I hate that they'll get away with this.

20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Reversed into someone's parked car earlier. Only looks like surface-level stuff on both bumpers, but I obviously can't tell if there's any damage to the structures underneath.

The details are irrelevant, but involve: a blind "junction" on a steep hill when leaving the short access road to my mother's house, bellends parked basically in a junction, and a full unopened can of coke that got pierced by the seat rails when it slid off my rear seat.

Considering writing an extremely shitty letter to the council about that bit of road, it's been dodgy af for the 30 years my family's been living at that house. Suffiice it to say that a few minor changes would have avoided the need for me to reverse uphill round a corner while panicking and being sprayed with coke.

Owner wasn't there so I've left a note - my mother apparently knows him, so is also going to pop round tomorrow. Will call our insurance tomorrow; we don't plan to claim for our bumper since it already needed replacing, but the other party might want to claim on their insurance, who will, in turn, want to recover costs from our insurance.