1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

It's fast and loose in the keyboard community!

2. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Have you thought about using some kind of side panel screws which require a torx security bit to undo, or a chassis-intrusion alarm that will deafen him if he opens up the case ( or maybe link the chassis intrusion alarm so that it sends you an email message to let you know what he's upto- might require voodoo magic that one though... ).

It baffles me how some people can have so much money but so little common sense, where as most of us are the other way around :lol:

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I actually have case security screws on all my "gig rigs" that spend days and nights in the arena and at LANs. He'd just ask me for the key, and I'd be obliged to give it to him because after all, it's his computer :rolleyes:

I might give some consideration to the deafening alarm idea though ;)

4. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I think it may be time to give him some simple teaching course about how not to be an idiot with your wildly expensive hardware!

Make him pay for the class of course. ;)

5. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Take him for everything that he has :D

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Autumn. Constantly raining, it's dark as hell and will soon be intolerably cold to boot.

Really the time of the year I curse the ancestors who originally thought that the Northern Europe should also be populated. Damn them, damn them to hell.

7. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

Minor inconvenience i know but being up since 4:45 to go to a meeting which meant driving in the passing rain all morning. Just got back which meant that I have been driving back in the passing rain too :(

8. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

The weather, the cold. School is dreary and depressing as usual...

9. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

First day of fall quarter. I'll have to see what tomorrow brings to get a full picture but so far I can only describe it as lonely. I don't mind boring lectures, I don't mind tough tests, what kills me is the social aspect of college which I still haven't adapted to at the start of my third year. It completely baffles me, even on the first day forpeople who seem completely new everyone else is with people they know, making new aquaintances and fitting in with everything perfectly. I seem to have missed some fundamental aspect of it all. It's extremely demotivating and each quarter I determine to figure it all out and make everything better but it never happens. Time to try again.

10. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Bloody fed up of working in IT.

It's been balls to the wall for 18 months now, 3 large schools, 1 network manager, a systems manager, 3 full time technicians and 2 part time technicians (I'm part time).

Ridiculous amounts of work to do, little sympathy/consideration from the other staff (especially senior management).

Spend 90% of the day fire fighting, just making do and trying to please ungrateful, ignorant and rude staff.

It's all gone down hill since a 'Trust' took over, I was told that they expect value for money from their staff, which is fair enough but...They have decided to put our team out to service other schools under contract so that we make them some money. The terms of the contract would be that we have to spend X amount of hours on their site a week and if they call with an 'emergency' we have to drop everything and come running.

The trust is not willing to pay us any more for this extra work load, they are not adding any more staff, they won't even pay for our mileage or help towards the business insurance that we will all have to get to legally use our vehicles in work time.

Not to mention I have been with this school for just under 3 years, I have had 4 contractual changes, pay cuts, pay rises, pension changes. I don't think I even have a job specification.

All I keep getting told is 'you should be grateful you have a job, we can always find someone else.'

Basically I want out, I have enough savings to sit on my arse for a year or so. What should I do?
    I'm not afraid of hard work, I just don't like being taken for a c**t.

11. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Changing you place of work constitutes a material change to terms and conditions. In UK they would be required to terminate your contract and offer you a new one. Typically redundancy payments are on the table there...

12. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

If you want a free personal assistant i'm available for hire. I take payment in Hobnobs

13. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Don't quit find another job, i know its a pain in the backside. Hell I am looking for work right now. But don't spend your savings on not working. Because that year of not working looks bad.

Example: You leave spend a year doing whatever and then money starts to come to and end. You get about interview and they ask why you weren't working. What do you say that makes you look good.

Unless you do some self development. Courses etc then you are pretty screwed.

Also from past experience employers want people who are currently working not unemployed by choice or simply unemployed.

Also you will spend more money being at home. Gas/Electricity/food.

14. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Got a ticket cycling 25 meters the wrong way on a bike path to the train station. 75£ right down the drain -.-'

There goes my hopes for a Raspberry Pi and a new mechanical keyboard this month.

15. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Lunch lady at new college thinks that I wont notice the difference between low lactose and lactose free dairy.

Hint: difference is huge. Pain and, well, you know.

16. suragh

suragh Derp

(I work in IT also) I just got off the phone and I felt that I was rudely spoken to, these people I work with don't understand what it would be like if the whole network team decided to leave immediately. :wallbash:

17. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Should've cycled faster! :naughty:

18. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

3 cops on BMW 1200 bikes. Wouldn't have made it another 15 meters..

19. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Two tickets 3 days apart in a bus lane Ealing council. I freggin hate them even though its my own fault

20. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

My main grudge with them is not the fact that they are giving me tickets - heavens know I need some education in proper cycling. What annoys me is their lack of presence at the local schools and kindergartens.