1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling What's so great?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xosram, 26 Nov 2001.

1. xosram

xosram What's a Dremel?

What's so great 'bout waterkooling?
    can anyone tell mi?

2. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Its quiet and runs your CPU cool ;)

3. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

The advantages of watercooling are :
    1. A watercool systems will provide better cooling than an air cooled system, thought he gap is less with heavy copper heatsinks and screamer fans.
    2. In comparison it is significantly quieter than the above.
    3. The overclocking potentual is greater.
    4. As there is only a little change in temp from idle to full load and it gets back to idle immediately this produces fantastic stability - hence improved overclockability.
    5. Lastly, it looks great and there is some pose value (I never said that it is all rational) involved.

Last edited: 26 Nov 2001
  4. Chrisy

Chrisy What's a Dremel?

Never underestimate the value of pose. :D

Chrisy

Oh yeh 1-4 are spot on as well :)

5. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

Chrissy,

Out of interest, what pump and rad have you got to go with your maze2.:) :)

6. Chrisy

Chrisy What's a Dremel?

Using a Eheim 1048 pump with a Heater Core from Tek.

Well when I say using I meen will be. In the middle of an upgrade at the mo so I have no motherboard or chip to cool. I started of with a swiftech block and fusion 2 rad which worked great but thought that the heater core would fit better in my case (Q500).

I will let people know how my new system works as soon as I have figured out how to aford it. :)

Chrisy

7. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

I was going to use the fusion 2 but the one that arrived had restrictors inside the pipes when you looked into them. I therefore sent it back and got the Senfu, and cut the 6mm ends off so that it is all 10mm.

I like the build quality of the swiftech, but it is dated now with the likes of the maze2 and OC Hideouts spiral.

Look forwards to seeing yours when you are finished.

I'm possitive that I will put a pelter on my next unit when I find where to get a peltier from in this country (about 175w will be fine) and a power supply for it. And rob the bank to pay for it of course.:rofl: :rofl:

Had a look at your radiator - very nice, a lot cleaner etc than mine. Is clearly the best that I have seen on any UK site.- now all you need to do is make a stand off radiator shroud so the fans a 1" from the fad, yes a read every word of your article. I will do so with mine for the next system.:D

Last edited: 26 Nov 2001
  8. xosram

xosram What's a Dremel?

but...
    i thought it was dangerous...
    plus, if there was a leak, would'nt all the compoments be rendered useless plies of silicon.
    -pardon my spelling

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

If I had the money, I would go straight past watercooling and onto vaporchill, problem is the unit costs about £500 :(

But then thats what you have to pay to have your CPU running sub zero :D

Biggie

10. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

To answer your question is simple oxsram, no it is not dangerous 12v will not kill you and if there is a leek, it will only do harm if your system is on at the time (I turn my pump on before I boot my system). However, as long as you are thorough the risk of a leak is no greater than the fan on your heatsink going and melting your CPU.

Remember the fuel line on a car commonly runs within cm's of the hot exhaust with little consern. The principle is the same - plan, check and make sure you know what you are doing before you start.

Watercooling is not for everyone.

11. Hi-TEK

Hi-TEK What's a Dremel?

This will be the first time that I take on a watercooling project and I know that I will need a little hand holding along the way. I've pretty much found the parts that I want to use and just have to decide on the type of waterblock. I'm no watercooling expert, so I'm looking forward to the challenge and the knowledge gained from the experience of putting a system together. Do you guys mind posting a detailed picture of your setups.

12. [GiB] Spawny

[GiB] Spawny Xqpack Lovin

G,Day

Sorry for my lack of feed back but I'm still in Perth for another week but couldn't help myself on this thread.

Water cooling will always be Kudos status in the overclocking circles along side home made water cooling solutions.

The reasons for doing it, and you need to ask?

Once you have bitten the bullet you won't look back.

Got to go I need to get my bungee jump sorted out for the weekend :)

Wish me luck :confused:

As the say down under "Bugger Me"

13. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

Hi Tech,

best of luck, the two articles on void your warrenty on watercooling and change to 1/2" from 3/8" are good. There is also a great one on Radiators on overclocking.com. The rad one is good and in hindsite has led to me going to make major changes. Basically it says that the practice of sticking the fans to your rad is bad news. The need is for the fans to be one inch away with a shroud to funnel the air flow. This ensures evan airflow over the rad and reduces noice, a problem with mine.

I hope it goes well.

14. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

Nice to hear from you Spawny. Hope you are having a great holiday.

Enjoy the bungy jump - can I have your dragon case if it snaps:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

15. [GiB] Spawny

[GiB] Spawny Xqpack Lovin

Baby Sitter

No Bungee to windy :(

Went Jet skying and some other cool stuff instead.

Will do a full story and post it up on the site, for eveyone to see and enjoy. It will be the best way. Taken Over a 150 digital Photos, some amazing stuff.

The Dragon Case is in its holiday home. [GiB] Soul Fly has been looking after it while I've been away to do some reviews for the site.

Graphic cards and HSF's.

Will be putting in my water system in the new year Titch so will be wanting some ideas bud.

Catch Yah L8ers.

16. xosram

xosram What's a Dremel?

tell me more about this... vapourchill, anyone?

17. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

Vappochill is basically a deepfreeze heat exchange unit (as on your freezer at home)strapped to your computer making true subzero temperatures. There is a write up on the Hardocp site. Huge issues of condensation, but ultimate overclock potentual. Only for the very very experiences with loads of spare cash.

There is a german company that will take your cpu to -27c and below, but is even more expensive. Vappochill are rearly the main company for selling to general public.

18. Hi-TEK

Hi-TEK What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going 1/2" right from the start because I want good flowrates inside the system. I plan on documenting the entire process when my site launches next year. I'm going to be fitting everything into a PC70 and just want the placement of parts to be neat and orderly.

19. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

I understand what you mean. I'm getting a dragon server case so that I can partly sink the rad into the top and creat its own airflow. I have found that with the watercooling on top of the 3 hard drives etc has made my case look very crowded. The PC70 is nice and roomy.

I do like the idea of the flow indicator, but a nicer one which is back lit.

You will have to let me know when you stick it on your site so I can have a look.

By the way, what bits are you using???????:D

20. brianpodskalny

brianpodskalny ladies night!

vaporchill? we dont need no stinking vaporchill. for a project for school im making my own out of a mini cube fridge, a bilge pump, car antifreeze, a cheap pipe cap waterblock, and lots and lots of foam to insulate it all! i plan to run 2 tubes out of the fridge and to the cpu (possibly gpu also). nice and chilly. as mentioned with the vaporchill, condensation is a big worry. i need to insulate not only all the tubing and waterblock but also the baqk of the socket seeing as it will get so cold as to form frost on the other side. gonna experiment with an old p166 i have lying around.

Tags: