1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Whats the best keyboard mouse/mat, wrist rest combination?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rainbowbridge, 21 May 2009.

1. antasari

antasari What's a Dremel?

I've got a Logitech MX Revolution for the wife's Apple Ladymac, which has its good points but is too heavy for gaming (the mouse, not the Mac which is too lightweight for gaming). Now that my new PC is finally up and running I've been cycling through a few Razers in the last fortnight, which didn't go quite as smoothly as I'd hoped:

Diamondback: the two side buttons are a single rocker, don't like. Sent back.

Mamba: I justified the whopping £120 price as a small percentage of the overall PC new build (so wifey doesn't notice how much I spent on a mouse ... ) but it's been a disaster. Keeps cutting out. Great shape, weight, buttons, and motion on the desk, but the wireless or the driver is utterly shot to hell. Every few seconds the cursor freezes; or the mouse is dead and nothing but a PC restart revives it. Not a battery or a wireless interference problem. No clever solution yet from Razer support, so it's about to get returned as faulty. There are others online with similar problems, so I'm not going to get a replacement. Shame, as it's otherwise awfully nice if you ignore the price tag.

Lachesis: When the Mamba was starting to drive me nuts I thought I should get a back-up. Arrived today and it looks like this is finally the one. Still quite expensive by normal standards but that's in line with the original poster's £150 budget (and the white model is now under £40 on Amazon) (and kind of matches my Logitech Illuminated keyboard). A bit lighter than the Mamba which is good for me -- or, the Mamba's battery is at the back so it seems heavier in motion -- officially they are both 130g. Also a bit less luxurious than the Mamba, unsurprisingly for the price points, but it has the usual Razer style. I use it in my fingertips, but I hold all mouses like that (even the Mamba, which is supposedly a palm-held mouse, maybe my hands are weird). Like the Mamba, it takes a few seconds to re-set if you fiddle with the software but, unlike the Mamba, so far it always starts working soon afterwards. Which is nice.

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

It's all about personal taste but what I game on is the following (taken from an old thread in the Genuine Gaming forum);

3. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I love my VX Nano, some people think it's a bit small though. I love the feel.

I have a SteelSeries QcK Mini, which is basically a normal size mousepad.. It cost $7, but it feels much smoother and nicer than say, $5 mousepads. Well worth the enormous investment.

Keyboard, Logitech G15 (got it for free). I wouldn't pay that much for a keyboard ever, but the screen is nice with Fraps, and I love the huge amount of programmable macro buttons.

4. Fredrics

Fredrics Hmm...

This is also the mouse that i ended up with after giving all of them a try. Just make sure you get the latest drivers from their website - what they released with the mouse is just shocking.

5. antasari

antasari What's a Dremel?

Tell me about it ... I'm thinking this is why my Mamba is so flipping useless. Never mind, the Lachesis will do just fine.

6. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Ordered as per my, home air sim, work terminal road map lol, :)

Steel SX mouse mat on Amazon yesterday.
    Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard today.
    Logitech g9.

What swong it around mouse wise from either the Roccat ROC or Razer Lachesis Banshee v2 Blue was the imment release of the Logitech's new Flight System G940.

I know you almost never get any incompatabilitys between system perherials but having one high quality brand on the table has to be good idea if any problems should arise, secondly the MX is a darn good mouse, I have rolled out a few of them to high end office workers and its quality from what I remember is just plain lush. I did consider the G9 but it has a square back, it might click with me but id rather just drop the money and get what should be a perfect set up imho.

No wrist pad required at this time.

Last edited: 4 Jun 2009
  7. crowmanuk

crowmanuk It's just for games ... honest !

I love the Razer setup and went for a chunk of it on my current build (as per sig). Mouse and keyboard are such personal taste items but so often overlooked in a build.

8. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Do you game in surround sound 7.1, I am looking at the logitech g35 and would like some feedback, be interested in the depth of sound and imersion of the higher priced g35.

I know bf uses x-fi, has the list of games supporting x-fi increased?

Nice set up btw, will you be getting a track ir 5 for simmiing, what games are you playing?

9. crowmanuk

Don't really use the 7.1 side of things much (all new so I haven't had too much chance to get too immersed ... spending too much time tidying cables :lol:). The X-Fi is a great card for moving into the wider world of nice sounds though. G35's are an interesting idea though but just wouldn't have matched my setup (not quite OCD but must be close :worried:). I love everything looking as though it's meant to be together and the matt black and blue led look of everything sits nice.

In terms of gaming I have gone totally ott in the last month in an attempt to push my hardware a bit but have settled with spending time on Empire TW, CoD, L4D, Crysis (well you gotta with a new PC) and Bioshock.

Building everything was great fun though ... gotta love all those boxes arriving in the post each day ;)

Have fun !

10. hotnikkelz

hotnikkelz What's a Dremel?

Razer products :)

11. bobtheangryflower

bobtheangryflower lalala

i personally like my wacom tablet mouse never screws up and i can adjust it all i want
    i prefer to use my apple bluetooth keyboard for gaming

12. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

I've got a gaming family/gf/mates and had a play on:

Keyboards: (in price order)
    G15 v2
    Saitek Cyborg
    G11
    Saitek Eclipse 2
    Saitek Eclipse

Any of these apart from the eclipse 1 is a great buy - Im on an eclipse now and seen 2 over all and the n key and space key have kinda gone fast. So compare them to the styling you like and any colours you may want. They range from like £60 - £20. - But if your into laptop flatkey style keyboards then razor is the way to go tbh.

I personally like the razor copperhead for a mouse, just fits my hand perfect and feels fluid - took me a while to like it as I'd never used such a low down mouse before. But also I like the Logitech MX-518 and G7.. as for mouse matt I'm going to be getting myself a razor exactmat but never used one before so can't recommend yet.

There is no real "best" set up, just preferance.

13. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i see a lot of keyboard and mouse recommendations, what about the mat?

i got a generic logitech media keyboard which feels the same as G15 v2s in the shops, so im not changing, it's good enough. also got G5 2007, which is fantastic. but need a proper mouse mat.

Logitech G series is for palm gamers while Razor are designed for claw/finger-tip gamers.

14. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

How about a Deck Legend or a SteelSeries 7G? They use mechanical linear force keyswitches instead of rubber domes and will outlast a G19/Lycosa/"gamer keyboard" by many years.

15. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

I have a generic mouse mat with a wrist support -- 5€ from Clas Ohlson. It's very good IMO! Not this one exactly but pretty similar.

16. I-E-D

I-E-D Minimodder

G9 and G15 from logitech are both quite cheap now, but there's also the logitech G19 keyboard, that you have to plug into the power, but gives 2 full speed USB 2 ports and a colour screen with resolution 320x240. Thats quite expensive though

17. crowmanuk

Razer ExactMat with supplied rest is an excellent option. Very durable and two sided to suit need. Although it looks expensive it's very well made and after going through a number of gaming mats it the one I settled on. Combination of solid surface (made of alu) with a seperate rubber mat/rest is very flexible. I only use it with Razer mouse though so I'm unsure how well it performs with anything else.