1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows When In-Game Ads Attack!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by themax, 23 Aug 2008.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Wow! Just Wow!
    I can't believe you purchased something that you don't need. i think everyone else in this world, knows that anything you see on ads are pre-rendered, as they want to show everything (or about) in 30sec. And not make you wait 5min for a page to load. In any case, you didn't even calculate to see if you actually need this toy. Personally a 200-300$ toy for playing for 2months with 3-4 year contract is kinda dumb. Personally, If I was you, I would see a professional (do I have to make a TV ad, for you to go see one), as you jump on anything that you see.

Interesting... back then people had B/W TV's. This phenomenon was not cause by a single TV ad. In fact Pepsi had Santa in blue and white.
    Although I have no facts, I really don't think that Coke sells gone sky high with such thing. Remember, that during this time people already did/does buy juices, alcohol and sodas, so you can't show me a graph that sells goes up on every holiday. It did (maybe) push the idea of having Santa red and white... but it did nothing for Coke. Like facial tissue... some people call them Klinex... how nice, but they probably never purchased that brand on regular bases. What I am saying is that it's just a side-effect of all this marketing crap, which doesn't push the company product in any way.

An other example, is like my friend, he goes "I'll google it!", and he goes to MSN search.

2. Dave Penguin

Dave Penguin O hai.

This right here is the flaw in the argument. Stating that Marketing and Advertising do not push or raise awareness of a product is incredibly naieve. After all, Adverts aren't just billboards, emails and television shows. Vodafone, as an example, paid a HUGE amount of money for a typeface to be designed; this way, there's an instant connection with Vodafone products and services, before you even see the logo.

Taking the Santa example again - you're right in that he currently has no bearing on sales of Coca-Cola during the christmas period. (Except, maybe for those random "Holidays are coming..." adverts with the lit up trucks...). However, the "advertising" here is deeper seated - more intrinsic than an "in your face" advert. People tend to associate the image of Santa (and christmas in general) with positive, happy sensations. Consequently, when you see products and services branded with similar colours, schemes, and "Look & Feel" as this, an unconscious connection is made.

Furthermore, in terms of the iPhone - the reason I bought it wasn't due to the functionality, or the technical achievements it represents. I bought it because it was an emotionally driven purchase. I saw it, and found the aesthetics, the look and feel, and the idea behind it appealing. Admittedly - I don't even really need the functionality of world clocks, or stock tickers, but it makes me happy nonetheless. I could have saved a packet and bought a second hand Razr V3 (like I did for work) - functionally, it does everything I need. But the emotional response would not have been the same.

The simplest analogy is as follows: stating that purchasing an iPhone is silly because you're taken in by the marketing, when a cheaper product would suffice is the equivalent of saying "Buying COD4 is silly when you can go and buy a football for £6 and still derive some form of enjoyment from it".

3. Dave Penguin

Dave Penguin O hai.

Good lord - that's phenomenal! The crazy thing is, I remember being taught at school that the Red and White outfit was a marketing decision, in a Business Studies lesson!

Take THAT Mister Woodward!

4. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Member

Yes I was going to say the same thing, this is a reason for adds to be banned. They take advantage of people that think that something is going to be awesome b/c some add said so. This is also the problem with politics, people just go I like that guy and have no idea why. They just buy into the adds and not the product. But lets get real, the actual problem is that our education system if failing to emphasize the importance of facts over shinny objects. People too often now a days are taken advantage of by clever adds that get them to buy crap they do not need or to get the wrong thing. People need to be taught that what matters is how it works and how well. I saw batman because I knew that it was going to be a great movie and because the story interested me. A good example would be half life, I have never seen valve advertise HL2 before it came out but people got it because it is a great game not because some shinny add said to go buy it.

fyi, I am not actually saying ban adds, i was being sarcastic. I think the problem is that people need to be educated on added and products so they are not taken advantage of. Even if they are totally ignorant of the fact that they have lost money ect it is still bad. Especially when these same people vote for people for no real reason. Decisions should be based on sound logic and our schools need to teach it for the betterment of our civilizations future.

5. n3mo

n3mo New Member

Most people are too lazy/dumb to take a while and think for themselves. Microsoft says that Vista is "new, powerful and fast" so everybody should buy it, right? And an ad said that iPhone is the greatest phone on earth, so go to the shop and buy.
    Companies don't care about actually informing potential customers about their product - all they want is to force or trick them into buying it (directX10 anyone?).
    Personally I don't like to see coke or whatever in a game, I see way too much of this crap on my way to work/uni. I much prefer GTA-style ads - funny, creative, often sarcastic parodies of real products.

6. wgy

wgy New Member

Context is EVERYTHING, when it comes to in-game adverts.

imagine Time sqaure (NYC) in game with fake adverts?? or even worse... NONE!
    imagine MOST of the apocaliptic landscapes we rampage through with no nostalgic broken billboards of bygone eras..
    you ever play need for speed?? sticking vinals on your car? thats advertising in a sense. ...but for you opposing few, you can have wgy's frozen spam .corp if you like.
    tony hawks games? you probably played and/or loved them? did you bitch and moan about "hawk boards" or any other company putting money into it?

however... coca cola a'la medieval in fantasy games... not so good. so its all about context.

when a brand name/logo is used with the creative control of the game company, i trust them to seamlessly allow them to intergrate real life aspects to create a more realistic experience.

Tags: