1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU When is there going to be a CPU that makes a different

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grritsshawn, 20 Oct 2010.

1. grritsshawn

grritsshawn I'm not insane I'm a modder

Okay well i've realized everytime they release a cpu they make it faster and more powerful. But when are they gonna release a line of cpus that nothing on the market can catch up to. i mean u can oc a cpu from 6 years ago and put it on par with one from 2.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

It's called the Intel Core i series, sadly it's a bit too late now to get it.
    I would wait for the next AMD and Intel CPU. Usually AMD has the upper hand in term of how much you can overclock. The question is, which one of the 2 brads starts with the highest performance.

Today, in a computer, it's not the processor or memory that slows down program starting and stuff.. it's your HDD. Switching to a high speed SSD will be beneficial. If you plan on getting an SSD, I would wait for the coming up next gen products end of the year and early next. It is expected to be even faster and larger quantity. If it's too expensive, then the current fast SSD's will be cheaper and great price to get it (well for an SSD.. I don't expect it to be as cheap as HDD's)

3. grritsshawn

grritsshawn I'm not insane I'm a modder

i'm saying like say u got a quad core 775 u bought for 300 u can over clock it to be at par with a 700 dollar 1366 cpu and when a cpu comes out that your quad core 775 cant beat u can get the 1366 cpu u were oc'ing to be on par with for the price of ur quad core you bougth years b4.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You are trying to find a way to win technology.. sadly you don't. You never do. The moment you look at the a computer part in a store, it's obsolete already. As already the manufacture is finalizing it's next gen product, finishing and testing the drivers, and waits until it's a good time to release, while working on the next next generation product.

5. Altron

Altron Minimodder

There's never a time when they stop advancing, but there are times when it slows down long enough to catch your breath.

For instance, the people that bought i7 procs two years ago are still pretty happy with their purchases.

We generally are seeing 1-2 year product lifecycles. Something new will come out, then for 1-2 years there are only evolutionary changes, then the next generation release.

IMO, the ideal time to purchase is 3-6 months after a successful product launch.
    It's a long enough time for them to get the kinks worked out and the prices to level off, but you'll have a good amount of time before it becomes completely obsolete.

6. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

only when you compare a heavily overclocked 775 quad against a STOCK i7 and even in a lot of apps the i7 is still faster (mainly heavily multi-threaded ones)

The only reason why the quad wins is purely from older software that is not multi-core friendly and prefers Ghz over core count. when you have a 3.6-3.8Ghz 775 quad against a 2.66Ghz i7 its easy to see why the 775 can compete.

overclock that 920 though to 3.8-4.2Ghz and the 775 looks like a snail.